summertime

6 children in one family

there's a family in scotland with 5 or 6 children and I suspect mum to be on the spectrum as well.

and i personally know of another american family with 5 children on the spectrum.

I have read it, and I think I would have to say I just would not be able to cope with six kids, not even two at this moment in time, I really dont know how they do it, and the mum having to cope most of it on her own.

I think the family have predicted a very realistic statement that in the future it will be become more and more common that more than one sibling will have a form of Autism in one family and I think even on this forum there is a fare few famililies with more than one child or even two children in one family.

JsMum

It's just so disgusting how they took the kids away simply because of her comment about burning the house down........... how often don't we all say something like that, or at least think it? Why can't they simply recognise the amount of stress thta's behind it, and help that poor family? (and so many others)

We all think crazy thoughts at some point, I can vouch for that! Just because you think it doesn't mean you will do it, heck, I've thought 'I'm gonna kill you ya little ######!' when my kids have pushed me but of course I wouldn't, it's a turn of phrase, something you mention ironically in passing!

I know a family with 6 children, 5 of whom are definately on the spectrum and they have a toddler. More than likely the little one will get a diagnosis at some point I have no doubt but they chose to carry on having children even after the first two were diagnosed. They have come up against a lot of criticism for it, I just wonder how the heck they manage!

What tends to happen is sometimes families, if they have one child with autism, they tend to stop having other children," she said. "Geneticists refer to it as stoppage."

I dont know why but that really made me laugh.... stoppage! Sounds like constipation.

Also sounds like the parents are quite spectrumy too.

So Utah has a higher rate of autism than other places, as does Silicon Valley where all the Microsoft workers are.

With Utah, I wonder if its the Mormon connection - lots of families knowing each other, intermarrying & increasing the genetic load?

I definitely understand how "stoppage" works. For me having a baby that seemed to be awake 24/7 was a highly effective form of contraception!

What tends to happen is sometimes families, if they have one child with autism, they tend to stop having other children," she said. "Geneticists refer to it as stoppage."

I can understand why. I'm constantly at my wits end with 1 autistic child and 2 NT children, 6 and I would have totally lost it. If I'd have known that AJ was autistic as a toddler and what lay ahead of us , I doubt very much that I'd have gone on to have any more kids.