Sign in to follow this  
Deedee

Need advice regards to school swimming trip please!

M came out tonight and he was really agitated.Halfway home he says,'next day, Tuesday the after time (?) I'm going swimming'...When we got in I rang the school and they said yes he is going swimming next week.(Fancy telling him now!!!!!)He's yr3 and they don't usually do it til yr4 so not sure why he's going til tomorrow.I wish they hadn't said anything really as we had a MAJOR meltdown tonight,his poor tutor arrived and we spent over 30 mins trying to stop him pulverising me and his brother!! I don't think he wants to go really but if we do manage to get it sorted do you think I should ask for extra provision while he's there??He can't dress/undress himself,wouldn't dry himself either. He can't swim although he does sometimes enjoy going..usually when its really quiet due to noise levels,he throws himself into the water anywhere he feels like it and runs around like a maniac :unsure: School said there's someone in the water teaching but I don't really think thats enough for my 'Kamikaze Pete'!!!! Anyone else have any tips to share please??

Let him go, the more experiences he acquires the better for him.

My son started in year 3 and i worried myself sick about how he would cope. Another night of no sleep!

I took him to the pool myself once just before he started going with the school and asked to use the same changing area he would be using with the school. The night before the school lesson I draw a picture of him going swimming and made it as informative as I could. Showing him in picture format what he needed to do from start to finish. My art has developed so much over the years with him.

The wearing of the swimming trunks under his school trousers that morning caused huge problems: Start dressing him early to give him time to adjust. lots of time.

Put his name and telephone number on everything, sure to lose or forget something.

Send a letter or phone the school they should be very understanding of your concerns. Ask that someone is available at all times in the changing area and to give him assistance where necessary. You would be supervised how many other children will need help.

My son is now 11 and still splashes around in the pool like a maniac, something to do with being in water that makes him behave like this, could be his senses going into overdrive. I'm well used watching it now. And yes he can swim lengths of the pool something i never expected because of his poor co-ordination skills. Still hates the thought of going but when he is there he loves the water.

On holiday he spends most of his time splashing in the pool.

Hope this helps.

I often take Y3's swimming and can reassure you that he wont be the only one who can't dress, undress or dry himself. there will be someone in the changing rooms supervising and helping where needed (a member of school staff not pool staff) and he certainly wont be the only one who cant swim

I doubt he will be allowed to run around and again someone will be there to supervise that, swimming is very highly supervised because you can imagine the implications if not and all risk assessments are carried out thoroughly before hand.

Have a chat with his teacher about your concerns and I am sure they will put your mind at rest. :D

I had similar fears when my ds started swimming. Had a meeting with the school and explained how traumatised he might be and might refuse and have meltdown etc. (based on our experiences with him). Glad I said "might" cos he was fine and made a complete fool of me. I think being with peers helped a lot to rid him of his fears - seeing what the others did and slowly slowly he would try things. You might be surprised too. Don't not let him go - just warn them what he might be like and let them get on with it. Now we can go swimming as a family and not worry that he will play up.

Speak to the school and ask how many supervisers will be in the changing rooms and around the pool, my son starting swimming at school this yr and he is yr 2 and really enjoys it. I know they have helpers in the changing rooms and the pool. I think for the whole class there are 4 differnent teachers / swimming instructors at the pool side and the chlidren are in groups of ability.

I no pay for my son to have one to one swimming lessons once a week too. He is now really enjoying swimming and is doing really well.

Hi We had lots of difficulties with swimming with the school but have been able to resolve them.I have a few hints -:

1.Check that the class teacher will make the swimming teacher aware of your child's needs and anxiety.

2.If possible visit the pool before the lesson so that you and your child are familiar with the environment.

3 Find out what the expectations are re how much help children will be given with organisation,dressing etc.Explain that your child may need extra help and if a TA works with your child find out if they will be available.

I know others have said that staff are available.However I often go swimming at pools in our borough in the day time when the pool is shared with school lessons.The amount of help and support provided varies -especially in the changing rooms.I think you may be able to get a good idea of how well school will cope by thinking about how good provision is in other areas of the curriculum and school day.If you know that staff understand your child well and you are confident about support in school then swimming will be more likely to go well.If you are doubtful it is worth talking to the teacher to explain your concerns.Karen.

Thanks so much everyone :notworthy:

Summertime,I've spoken to his LSA this morning and she said its a new thing they are trying.He'll be using a small local schools pool which will be great as its not too noisy/hectic.Only half the class is going at a time so thats approx 14 kids and they are asking for advice on how to prepare him too.They seem to be making such an effort now (its only took me 5 years to get 'em in shape lol) so I am chuffed to bits we seem to be communicating again at last!!

M will be supported by his LSA,there will also be a swimming instructor in the water.I'm really pleased as once he gets there I'm sure he'll enjoy it.Thanks everyone for putting my mind at rest.You are so right he needs to have these trips to broaden his experiences as,as a family we are like so many others on here very isolated....

Kate I know that feeling well its happened to me before too!!!

WW thats a great tip re the visual planner M is very much a visual learner and I've managed to find a pic of the pool on the schools site so will do him a little social story.I have got my indelible marker out too :thumbs: *must remember to hide it again tho!!!!*

Thanks so much everyone :notworthy:

Summertime,I've spoken to his LSA this morning and she said its a new thing they are trying.He'll be using a small local schools pool which will be great as its not too noisy/hectic.Only half the class is going at a time so thats approx 14 kids and they are asking for advice on how to prepare him too.They seem to be making such an effort now (its only took me 5 years to get 'em in shape lol) so I am chuffed to bits we seem to be communicating again at last!!

M will be supported by his LSA,there will also be a swimming instructor in the water.I'm really pleased as once he gets there I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: It sounds like your 5 years of work have payed off.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

:wallbash: Well as usual it all seems to have gone t*ts up :wallbash:

M came out purple with rage wouldn't bring his swimstuff out so I had to wait while someone found it while he was headbutting a wall and throwing a goalpost and nets around :hypno:

He said he was underwater and nearly dead !!! Kicked off all the way home and finally came out with 'they made me put my head in water and the lady pushed it under' :angry: Cue volcanic eruption from me... He absolutely hated it had no help to change,only the teacher went,noone in the pool,had to walk into the deep end and 'drownded' and to cap it all off who was it that said he would keep his pants on????? Yup you were right he's been sat all afternoon in wet trousers and pants and noone even noticed....

Phoned school and spoke to his teacher and she said nothing happened and he was fine... :blink::wacko::blink:

M doesn't lie if he even tries to avoid telling the truth, he comes out with a steven spielberg epic not just one sentence...so what do I do now????

Put everything M said in writing to the HT. Explain everything that has happened and ask for a full explanation in writing, who was the teacher in charge was a TA present, how many children where in their care. Stress that M does not make stories up and that he never ever tells lies. Express that it was them that reassured you that M would be supported throughout the trip and that you are deeply disappointed that their word was not upheld. :wallbash: Send a letter to the local pool asking who was in attendance in the pool and in the changing area, Let's see how they both explain this disgraceful incident. Who put their hand on his head in the water? How did he find himself in an area of the pool which endangered his well-being? Was it the pool attendant in the water or was it a teacher by the side of the pool, this is totally unacceptable. :angry: Who was responsible for assisting all the children in your sons changing room. How could this oversight of him not changing his trunks have occurred if adequate supervision had been maintained. You are putting your child in their care on a daily basis how could they have allowed such an important experience to have been turned into such a negative experience. This is totally inexcusable. How are they going to rectify this without causing further stress to your son. Let them know that this was not M's fault and if things had been handled responsibly it could had been a wonderful experience for M, and that they have created this. Don't put an end to him going, but if possible try to be in the pool the next time. Do not tell them you are going just show up and watch what is happening check he is OK before he returns to school. I used to do this and it showed them I could turn up anytime, and anywhere.

I'm so sorry this was such a terrible experience for M. :(

If possible take him yourself to the pool it would be a terrible shame for him to miss out.

:wallbash: :wallbash: it was me that said about my lad and his pants, i thought j enjoyed it until i rang up to discuss what we were going to do about math teacher and shoving fingers down his throat and the secretary started bleating on about swimming so i hung up, and then when i went to the the school last night to talk to his teacher i got greeted with the swimming thing for 10 mins and me saying over and over "its nothing to do with swimming" like a stir crazy nutter mumbling to them self i ended up shouting :whistle: why make me paranoid if there is nowt to worry about.

I have got another meeting this morning i promise not to shout :unsure:

if hes not enjoying it and you have to deal with the meltdown, Cannot you not go swimming with him with the school or say to the school not to send him and you will take him yourself >:D<<'> >:D< dont know really what to suggest sorry

Thanks everyone for your great advice as always I have a *little meeting* with our acting Head booked for Monday :whistle:

I did have a reception comittee waiting for me the next morning to make sure he was ok, which is always a bonus...the staff generally run off or start shuffling lots of interesting papers when they see me coming,can't think why??? :devil:

We haven't dared mention the 'S' word again yet so no idea wether he will even entertain the thought of going again yet supported or not,will keep you posted..

Hi When we were in a similar situation we took Ben ourselves to a different pool a few times to have fun.He was then able to return to school lessons when the issues with the school lessons were resolved.Ben is now doing really well.

If your child previously enjoyed the pool please don't let this unfortunate experience put you all off.

I would have withdrawn Ben from school lessons all together rather than end up with him hating an experience he had previously enjoyed.

Ben found PE difficult and frustrating-especially team games.Hence we felt it was important to encourage activity in the water.Karen.

Hi when M started in yr 2 they went swimming. (well actually they still do but M doesn't go now) I requested to go with them as M couldn't dress himself/dry himself either. It helped and I felt happier, so I could watch him. now since Nov he has been in part time school on his own and doesn't want to go swimming anymore so hasn't done since! I will have to take my self sometime though!