purplegail

Depression and dying

Hi

(I posted this as a reply to another link but wanted to post it as a new thread too as I wondered if any other parents of teenagers have any advice. It seems that my daughter is suffering from a severe depression. She is on fluoxitine at the moment but I'm so worried.)

My daughter showed absolutely no emotion when my Grandad died just before Christmas (she's 15) and has never really talked about it from a young age.

Recently and very worryingly she has become obsessed with dying herself and tells me daily that she'll be dead before she's 20!!!! I try to ignore it but at the back of my mind is the talk I once attended at which the speaker mentioned that suicide was commnon in teenagers with Aspergers :tearful::tearful::tearful:

I sneaked a look at her diary where she talks about ''wishing she was brave enough to kill herself'' :tearful::tearful::tearful:

Gail

How scary for you to read that pg. JP often says he wishes he was dead, but thats usually when he's in the middle of a meltdown, rarely when he's calm.

Given what you've read I think a chat with the GP or CAMHS would be appropriate at this stage.

Good luck.

Hi,

my advice is the same as pearl's but I wanted to give you some >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> as I know how scary it can be!

my 15yr old ds went through about of severe depression and was regularly saying that he wanted to kill himself. On talking with him he would tell me he was too much of a coward to actually do it. I rang his CAMHS lady who said she thought his words were a cry for help as he was unable to cope with things and she told me to keep a closer eye on him! His depression now seems to be lifting and thankfully he has not said it of late!

DS is 10 and often says he wishes he was dead. He has anxiety, mood swings and, I think, is heading towards depression. I don't know how to cope with it. We're thinking that CAMHS is the next step for us, but we've only just finished with the Child Development Centre and he was so pleased not to be seeing any medics any more. Heading back in that direction feels uncomfortable at the moment, but may be necessary.

Hi,

Harry mentions dying, and says he wishes he was dead. He is 8 and I feel this is a symptom of his low self esteem and need for reassurance rather than deep seated wish for suicide. However, I am also aware of the link between ASD and depression and suicide.

Hi Gail,

Know how you feel - my daughters 13 and she often says this in anger when she's out of control. However, she does also say this when she's sad which is totally different.

Then she is very calm when talking although obviously sad and down - but she says how much better everyone would be without her, how much she 'spoils' everthing - that she is a total waste of skin and that no-one would miss her or be sad if she died because she has no friends and no-one loves her and that her funeral would be so quiet with no one there - it breaks your heart.

Wish I had the miracle answer but I'm afraid I don't - I too worry my heart out about it,

Take care,

Jb

My daughter showed absolutely no emotion when my Grandad died just before Christmas (she's 15) and has never really talked about it from a young age.

That's quite "normal" with AS: You just don't have a clue how to show emotions. And what's more: it doesn't make any difference for the deceased.

(Recently and very worryingly she has become obsessed with dying herself and tells me daily that she'll be dead before she's 20!!!! I try to ignore it but at the back of my mind is the talk I once attended at which the speaker mentioned that suicide was commnon in teenagers with Aspergers :tearful::tearful::tearful:

I sneaked a look at her diary where she talks about ''wishing she was brave enough to kill herself'' :tearful::tearful::tearful:

Gail

Normally, someone who wants to kill him-/herself just does it. If she's talking to you about it, she's expecting some reaction from you to show her that she's wanted ...

From the AS point of view, death is just a biological process, nothing to make a fuzz about.

You should try to keep talking to her (as far as she tolerates it) >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I went through something similar when I was her age and felt suicidal but never seriously contemplated it. Like her I didn't feel brave enough to do so.

I can't really offer much advice but things did get better when I started university at 18.