Sign in to follow this  
madme

Work as LSA

I'm a mum now to two children.One with ASD(6) one with adhd, dyspraxia, Aspergers and Dyscalculia (11). I have a degree and a postgraduate qualification. I have held a senior managerial post over many years and took a career break to secure my son's education. I have undertaken training on sen and education law and spend my spare time helping our local group improve local services, provide info to parents and regularly advise local parents about sen. I have read so many books about asd, dyspraxia,dyscalculia and adhd.

I tutored my son through his KS2 so that he got level5s. I help out in my daughters school for trips and have a full CRB check. On a recent visit I was the only parent to take any interest in a child that could not speak much english but who also had difficulties with gross motor co-ordination. The child was so frightened to begin with but by the end I had persuaded and shown her how to do use some of the equipment.

I was seeking temporary work as a LSA before the summer break. I was told by an agency that I was not qualified as I didn't have any experience. I'm willing to learn. I have lots of friends with asd children from all ends of the spectrum. My own experience of LSAs in primary was that they had had little training and very little understanding of ASDs. I'm told that I have to go on a course. Perhaps I'm wrong. please enlighten me.

I find this so frustrating.

I've done a little bit of LSAing at my littlies' school. I was just approached by the SENCO, who knew my background with my son, and about my 'proper' job at a residential special school.

I think you might have more luck if you saw the SENCO at your children's school...you could explain about your background and what you want to do. You might only end up starting off with some voluntary work, but it's all experience, and you would be on the inside as it were.

The other approach you could take is to send a CV to local special schools, and see what comes from that.

Good luck!

Great advice from Bid but to be honest I dont think many schools will be taking on staff before the end of this school year.

Have a look at your County Councils website for all current vacancies in your area.

It is very unlikely that any schools will be taking on staff before september but they may be looking now to take on new staff in september.

Most schools now are looking for some kind of qualification which would probably be NVQ2 or above but you have some fantastic experience and Im sure that if you send a letter to local schools or phone to see if you can speak to/ make an appointment to see the SENCO they would be more than happy to consider you for a position

Not sure what the rules are regarding this so if Im breaking them then please remove this bit mods ;) but I have a forum for TAs if you want to have a look there is shed loads of info on courses and general TA stuff over there

www.ta.forumup.org

good luck with it sounds like any school employing you will be extremely lucky

summer x

I am presently working as a LSA in a mainstream secondary school. Previously I have also done supply in a school for autistic students from 3-19 (for about 3 months - unfortunatally got present job as loved it there) and worked for a term at another mainstream school. Prior to getting my first job in a English school (the last one in list above) I had done a degree in Physics and Earth Sciences at Durham University and spent 6 months voluntary teaching in Kenya (in an environment that was very different to a UK school). I also had spent one afternoon a fortnight whilst in the first year of my A-Levels helping at a local primary school. Capita education resourcing was happy to have me on their books as someone who could do science technician work or teaching assistant work with that as my background. What you have sounds like a lot more experience than I had when I started so I would have thought you should be able to get a position. Just keep having a look round. My first job I actually got through a speculative letter as they had interviewed recently for the position and not found anyone they thought was suitable. Can anyone from your local group give you a reference. That if good enough could convinse them to consider you without any formal support qualification. I have my university tutor to thank for helping me get my first job. Good luck, David.

I am also a TA and it is generally more expected that you gain a relevant qualification.

you would need a placement in a school while you do this so if you may want to start asking now if you are to consider taking this route. i did my placement in my childrens school and now work there on a permenent contract.

you are probably more equiped than most people who undertake this course and i'm sure you would make a great TA :thumbs:

Yeh, I've been thinking along those lines for a few years now. Considering doing an NVQ3 course in September.

Would like to do a few ASD courses too.

Good luck you sound perfect for the job! :thumbs:

I just need to pick myself up and start thinking of me for a change. :robot:

Thanks for all the positive comments. I'm seriously thinking of going into teaching although I have to admit the paycut is putting me off. Initially I just wanted to get some experience in the classroom to see if I would like it. In my previous job I really enjoyed the training aspect- not sure if my staff did though! Im nearly 40 and can feel that a change is imminent.