Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

Would a guinea pig die or become ill if......

I thought guinea pigs were vegetarian?

I suppose it depends what type or action the fly spray has - whether it kills by toxins or by some action that sticks to the fly and stops it moving. I think the deadly chemicals were banned about a year ago, but it depends how old your fly spray is. Flies are quite small compared to the size of a GP, so I wouldn't think it could do much harm. I don't know anything about GPs but could you give it some water to dilute any effect? :unsure:

I suppose you could ring the vet and read them the label if you are unsure. Does the spray label say anything about domestic pets?

I've got two piggies, so I know how you feel. They are very sensitive to lots of things, but I would have expected a reaction to swallowing a fly-sprayed fly to be fairly quick and involve a respiratory problem, wheezing or something along the lines of fast poisoning. If your guineapig is still fine, I think it will be OK.

It's not very old, is it? Young animals tend to show signs faster, so no symptoms=good.

just checked with a girl in my office who is like a walking vet! she said it should be ok make sure he has lots of water and keep an eye on him for a day or so! hope ok

:lol: Thanks Karen.......still waiting for those promised Muffins...had to make do with some mint choc chip ice-cream instead :whistle:

Thanks all >:D<<'> He seems fine, and is drinking lots, as usual. He's not old, probably about 14 weeks or so. Will keep an eye on him :)