curlywurly

Don't know where to start

Hiya - new to the forum, so hope you don't mind me posting - was directed here by some GREAT friends who and also WONDERFUL parents!

My little boy is 7, and he is textbook Aspergers - I won't go into the details as I'm sure you all know the condition inside and out.

As Far as we've gone with getting 'help' - my GP refered us to local Childrens Mental Health Team - who visited and bounced us to the school....the thing is that he goes up to Junior school in September, so getting 'assistance' would be over before it even started.

We have already been told that he will be in the 'special' class in Junior school - which comes as something of a blow for us, as he is SO bright....he just doesn't work to nearly a fraction of his potential if it's not something he's interested in - it just goes in one ear and out the other, and I have tried EVERYTHING to make learning interesting for him. Also adding to the problem is that Cameron has no desire to emulate his peers, so he doesn't have that 'drive'. So far he is doing ok socially, in his own little way, he has some special friends, but he has no idea of what is appropriate, or how to react to the feelings of others.

Ok, now I feel awful - whenever I talk about Cam's feubles, I feel like I'm running him down, and I'm not - he's the most caring little boy in the world - I just don't want to see him struggle in life!

Thanks - any suggestions, or even just pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Vicky XXX

Guest Lya of the Nox

hi vicky

>:D<<'>

welcome

you sound like the rest us battling ths system and adoring our kids at the same time

lya

x

Hiya Vicky and welcome. :thumbs:

Your friends have done the right thing by advising you of this site, 'brilliant', everyone is very helpful and supportive on here.

I only became a member myself a few months back, and the feedback I have received is amazing.

You will find others in the same situation as yourselves, and will try to give you the best advice as they can, so keep posting !

And don't forget its only natural how you feel, as you are a devoted mum and want the best for your kiddies.

Fingers crossed for you it will all work out in the end.

Look forward to speaking to you soon, keep your chin up hun, you will get there.

All the very best Di xxx :thumbs::D

Hi Vicky, thanks for joining us. :gather:

We'll do our best to help and support you.

Does your son have a diagnosis of aspergers?

Does he have a statement?

Does he receive 1 to 1 support from a teaching assistant?

With these things in place it is the schools responsibly to help him react his true potential.

wishingwell

Hi Vicky,

Welcome to the forum, this is a wonderful place and I am sure you'll find it useful both practically and emotionally.

It seems such a shame the junior school are going to put him in a "special" class, do you know what they mean by "special" perhaps it might be worth popping along to the school to discuss your son's educational needs, if this class holds him back he will possibly suffer from lack of stimulation.

Good luck and I look forward to getting to know you better

Clare x >:D<<'>

Hi Vicky welcome >:D<<'> this place is amazing and at the moment its saving me from going under as I know too well all about trying to get " Help " and the right support in place, I am totally drained trying to get this in place, I like your discription with the Bouncing from one service to another.

Have you thought about a Multi disiplinary Team meeting where all the services get together and look at what needs to be in place to support your son.

National Autistic Society have a Educational Helpline to support you about the school difficulties and discuss whether your son may need an assessment to look at his strengths as well as his weaknesses and in the assessment you can put forward a report expressing how you would like your sons needs met.

I dont agree that they are calling the class that your son will be going in the Special class, J does not have this at all, his work is all differentiated but with in his classroom with his peers that are his age but with an LSA and his Class teacher are very aware of what Js potential are because they recognise that J is bright in some areas like science, R.E, History and maths but needs a considerable amount of support for English and litracy needs and for this he is withdrawn from the classroom and works 1-1 in a small classroom and it is not got any connection with special or otherwise, its just work your doing that meet your abilities with a teacher who will support you.

I have researched Js secondary school and I have found that the best school for J that could look at all his needs, is a spersific school that will support all his diagnosis so it may be an Idea to look at some school that support children with AS who are bright and could challenge him with meeting his needs in areas he is having difficulties in.

The National Autisitic Society Educational Helpline can help you look throw schools that near your area.

In junior school brought a lot of raised difficulties for J because though some of the work he excelled in other subjects he got further behind, he lost a lot of confidence and was punished for things he had no control of and his social difficulties got worse because his peers where moving on in social context and so it got even more difficult for him to interact and make friends, he has friends but its keeping them that is the hardest.

All his subjects he is working at different levels, like maths level 3, science level 2, English Level 1 and all within his classroom.

So do look at an MDT and an Assessment of Special Educational Needs.

JsMum

Hi Vicky, welcome >:D<<'> , try not to worry about the class situation next year.Even though your son is very bright being in the "special" class maybe the best thing for him.You may find this class has fewer children in it and possibly a full time TA which would be a good thing .For instance my son is now at high school and is working 4 yrs ahead of his peers in science (his love).However he is currently in a special class for this subject as his science teacher has an affinity for kids like him, the class only has 12 pupils in it , and 2 TA,s.They also concentrate on a hands on approach which my son likes as his handwriting is vv poor.

Welcome. I joined this forum back in Nov 05. The support, tips and encouragement to fight for what my son needs has been endless. You are in good company here.

lainexx

Hi

my son is also 7 and going up to juniors in September diagnosed as moderate autistic though could be classed as Aspergers (depending on criteria).

What does your son have in place in his current class? is his current infany school liasing closely with the junior school and passing on all relevent teaching methods etc. J's infant school have visual timetables in place and pecs type pictures of food to help him at breakfast club. This should be passed on to junior school.

The infant school and junior school have also agreed to an additional transition day - to give him an extra opportunity to see his new teacher and class. J is going up with the rest of his class so there will be familiar faces, and his new teacher asked me who he is friends with, so I think she will seat him with children that I know will help him and know him really well (they help remind him where he is going, help reduce his stimming at certain times etc.)

I would arrange a meeting to discuss transition, maybe social stories to help prepare for change. Are the rest of the children in his current class going to same junior school?