JenRose

How can i get R to take her medicine?

R has tonsilitis and is on her 2nd lot of antibiotics.

this one is a bright orange colour and she wont have it at any cost, me and dave had to force it into her mouth with a syringe and guess

what she did both times?

stuck her fingers down her throat and brought it all back up.

i really need her to get these anti,s into her cos her tonsilitis isnt going to get any better.

has anyone any suggestions?

Guest Lya of the Nox

call the docs and say she needs it in a diffenrt form??

and make sure next time it dont come like this

but the best thing is huge big fat bribery

hope u get some down her

x

but the best thing is huge big fat bribery

Totally agree. I've got all sorts into J with promises of a regular goodie, including eye drops for hayfever. The same reward every dose works best for us, eg a Top Trumps card of choice or Green and Black's chocolate. J wouldn't tolerate the idea of a big reward for completing the course of treatment, he has to have something every time or he can't see the point.

I'd also try to make sure she understands why she has to take the medicine, if you can. Getting her on board would make a big difference.

Good luck, you'll probably need it!

Karen

x

Hi Jenrose,

Totally sympathise - my daughter was a nightmare to take medicines - and unfortunately bribary gets you absolutely no where with her.

I can remember once in hospital once the nurse held her nose and practically forced her to take it only to vomit it straight back up.

The only way we had any success (sometimes!!!) was putting a little tiny amount at a time on a spoon (although this did make it difficult to judge sometimes how much she'd taken - but it was definitely more than being sick straight afterwards) - a syringe she didn't like at all - I think because she felt it could all come at once - the same with a spoonful the whole sight of a full spoon would make her upset. She also would need a drink of something straight after each tiny sip to take the taste away.

Take care, hope you manage to get her to take some and that she feels better soon.

Jb

My little one is a nightmare for this and never had antibiotics or capol ever - it always came straight back up even with 2 of us holding him (3 sometimes when my Mam would come to help when he was really ill)

The only solution I've found is sneaking it into drinks - harder with antibiotics and calpol I know but the only way I'd get anything down him. At the minute he has antihistamine in a small amount of fresh juice and lactulose in water at night. Only a small drink so I'm sure most of the dose gets drank.

Bribary simply doesn't work - he can't see past taking the medicine to the promised reward so that might depend on how well R understands. If I even let slip that there's medicine in his drink he will refuse to drink it also so I just offer him juice with no mention of medicine.

He is improving a weeny bit as he gets older (he's 3 and 3/4) - he actually had some calpol yesterday for a tummy ache. Ben the bunny had to have some first however as he had a tummy ache too!

Hi JenRose,

I used to have the same problem with Kai. Even MAJOR bribery didn't work. Even if i managed to get the medicine in his mouth, he'd vomit it all up. He will take tablets, but NEVER medicine. I have everything prescribed for him in tablet form now. He'll even let me give him PR (rectal) medication, rather than swallowing medicine!

How old is your daughter? If you think she may be able to take tablets, you could ask the GP to prescribe her ABs in tablet form (if the dose comes small enough).

Hope you get something sorted >:D<<'> >:D<<'>