Wicce

horrible little...

We've just come home from the playpark. There was a group of boys about 10 years old who J decided to speak to. He was his usual loud and innocent self, and told them his age and that he liked diggers or something like that, and so they called him a (insert charming swearword) eejit.

He told them that was a bad word and that made them laugh harder.

They then started calling him Harry Hoofter. He had no idea what it meant. Even when we were leaving they were still yelling 'Bye Harry!' and he waved back at them all smiles. He turned back to me with this great big grin on his face and said 'I love my new friends Mum, they're nice aren't they? They like me, they're saying goodbye.'

I could weep for him. :tearful: No harm done I suppose, seeing as he's clueless, but I'm dreading the day he starts to understand. I'm also mildly sickened that something homophobic is their top insult. :wallbash:

Just wanted to tell someone, I guess.

>:D<<'> Wicce >:D<<'>

Horrible isnt it?

And ours are supposed to be the ones with the problems? :rolleyes:

At least we have sons who wouldnt dream of deliberately upsetting anyone. I know which I prefer.

I've been in similar situations with my little boy - all he wants is to be friendly, and at a park or some other situation he will just walk up to people (he's chatted up teenage girls before - bless him) and introduce himself with his full name and age. Some children will be friendly, some quietly mocking, and others just plain nasty - whatever the reaction, he carries on in his own merry way - and it tears me to bits!

Vicky XXX

I'd say that those lads who mocked your son are the ones lacking in social skills and empathy.

Sorry Wicce, >:D<<'> they always think they are bigger and better in groups don't they.

Thats why we need to have our kids supervised from the distance, it hits home just watching our kids in the park how difficult it is. Are the school aware of this, I used to keep a diary of things I noticed like this as it all helped to get my son more support at school. The OT used to say to me we learn the most by watching our kids in the park.

Dont let that bunch turn you off going back, hopefully it is a one off case and next time some more gentle and understanding kids will play with him.

A big hug for mum too >:D<<'> keep strong.

Love

Fxx >:D<<'>

Your post really hit close to home.

Hurts, doesn't it?

>:D<<'>

Fortunately, I have never been in a situation like that - but it reminded me of my last trip to the park with my 2 kids. A girl started playing with my little one, chasing him round the climbing frame and down the slide and was interacting with both my children - but playing like she was a 4 year old. I asked how old she was and she said 14. I could see a group of teenagers in the distance, but no adults around and I immidiately became very concerned for her safety and well being. I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable, as I wasn't worried abut her having fun with my two children, but I asked her if one of the boys in the group was her brother - luckily one was her sister and I felt a bit better then - but I was still concerned that there were no adults around.

that is awful our children r so inocent and oblivious to the world but it is awful to watch, so glad he didnt understand them sending u all loads of these >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Oh Wicce, we had a similar one today (I've posted about it, "Bullies"). It hurts like mad doesn't it? Unfortunately, C knows when their teasing him, and it breaks his heart. Your poor wee man >:D<<'>

Hi guys,I've only just joined & have been reading through the back posts so apologies for casting up old threads!

Anyway,Wicce's account of her wee one's bullying in the playpark brought me to tears as we too had a near identical situation.

Wicce's description of the way her wee one ontroduces himself is EXACTLY like my wee one.

Right down to the digger bit...

Got to say though that I didn't behave very well myself cos as I could see what was unfolding I asked my mum-in-law to distract the kids & I went up to the crowd of little *!*@@*** & unleashed a real tirade.

Very juvenile ,but at the time I couldn't help it.

The rage I felt was unbelievable.

Sometimes it gets so pent-up that unfortunately an explosion is inevitable.

However,afterwards I felt so upset with my own behaviour & lack of control and of course I was distraught for Jack...as I know that this happens all the time to him when I'm not there.

In fact only the other day was an incident on the school bus where 6 other kids had taunted him-telling him to say swear words,poking their bus passes in his face,telling him to just "for once be bad",jeering at him,chanting "nutter" & unfastening his seatbelt (which as Jack is a stickler for rules & safety would have been pretty traumatic).By the time he got home he was a nervous wreck & cried all night & refused to eat.

It just gets me sooo frustrated.

The school have been very good about it,very proactive about telling parents of their dear children's deeds,etc but,I still don't know how to protect him...

Big hugs for you Wicce, take no notice of the insensitive youth, as previous poster said, we are lucky to have children that would not ever deliberate hurt others either physical or mentally so of this we are proud.

I probably would have said something back and on one occasion I did, but you have to be careful because you dont know what these youngster of capable of do you.

Stand tall and chin up, they are not worth it >:D<<'>

Wicce your post brought tears to my eyes, my DS would have reacted the same way as your DS. Excuse my french but Horrible little ba**ards. I had this at a park near me and they were calling my DS names when he was on his scooter, they were two girls, I marched up and laughed "oh isn't it fun calling an innocent disabled boy names", they looked stunned but then started shouting abuse at myself. I left the park and never go there anymore.

I'm going to sound like my gran now but in my day I wouldn't have EVER been as horrible and nasty to another child who had any kind of learning disability, or was "different" to myself. Some of the kids today are a disgrace.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

We have had a mild incident at our park about a year ago when Niamh went into a metal tunnel and there were about 4 or 5 teenagers in another adjacent tunnel. She started talking to them quite happily (not sure about what as I was keeping an eye on her but from a distance, but probably about her book she was looking at), they didn't know what to do to start with but then started laughing. I walked over there and asked Niamh to come over to us. Niamh doesn't normally enjoy the park as she is limited to what she can go on (just the slide and the toddlers climbing frame) so when I take the kids I normally go with my friend and her two girls - her oldest is 11 and is fab with Niamh and treats hers normally.

The only other thing that has made be annoyed and sad was that Niamh used to be called nutty Niamh by some children in her old mainstream school - we only found this out in June this year (she has been at special school since last Sep) when one of her teachers asked her to write down things she didn't like about visiting her mocal mainstream junior school and she put that down. It broke my heart at the meeting when I realised she had been teased but had never mentioned it though it had stuck in her head :(

Emma