Sign in to follow this  
JenRose

Going to Cambridge today

i have been asked by Cambridge autism research to go and help them with their research.

they are researching females with Asperger Syndrome, their hormones and other stuff.

so i said yes as i am curious and i would like to see the unit for myself - i might even meet Mr Baron-Cohen!!!!

will report back on thursday.

i have been asked by Cambridge autism research to go and help them with their research.

they are researching females with Asperger Syndrome, their hormones and other stuff.

so i said yes as i am curious and i would like to see the unit for myself - i might even meet Mr Baron-Cohen!!!!

will report back on thursday.

Humph :angry: They didn't invite me. I'm obviously not 'female' enough for their liking. I'll be having words with that Prof B-C.

Hope it goes well and you get something out of it for yourself.

Mumble :)

This is really interesting, Jenrose.

When I go for my assessment at Cambridge, I want to ask if a greater proportion of women with AS have problems, in particular PCOS.

Please let us know how you get on!

Bid :)

Ask them about the recent irresponsible reports in the news about the 1 in 58 incidence figure too. The Daily Mail moderators are refusing to publish my comments pointing out they printed a story a day after it was found to be untrue and are still continuing along the same vein today with an interview with Jackie Fletcher, invoking the bogus report in the title.

I'm hoping SBC and his team open a can of whoop on the papers.

I was asked to take part in a research study by them before but it wasn't about females so decined as I've done loads of others at ICN and IOP

Please let us know how you get on and what it involves as I'd also be interested as I think this is an area that needs info. I thought baron Cohen believed it was a predominantly male condition

Edited by florrie

I want to ask if a greater proportion of women with AS have problems, in particular PCOS.

I don't know a lot about this but isn't one theory/cause (not sure if proven or not) behind PCOS a higher level of androgenic hormones? Given that these are the masculizing (sp?) hormones, it would seem to fit with SBC's 'male-brain' theory involving AS people being exposed to higher levels of testosterone in the womb.

Edited by Mumble

I don't know a lot about this but isn't one theory/cause (not sure if proven or not) behind PCOS a higher level of androgenic hormones? Given that these are the masculizing (sp?) hormones, it would seem to fit with SBC's 'male-brain' theory involving AS people being exposed to higher levels of testosterone in the womb.

That's what I was thinking, Mumble! :unsure:

Bid

I had the misfortune of reading the Observer's article when I went to buy some milk on Sunday. I was fuming for most of the day about it. Still am, if I'm honest.

Hope your meeting with them has gone well JenRose.

Edited by Bullet

This is really interesting, Jenrose.

When I go for my assessment at Cambridge, I want to ask if a greater proportion of women with AS have problems, in particular PCOS.

Please let us know how you get on!

Bid :)

You have got me worried, my daughter was diagnosed with this recently. PCOS Remaining positive, but my mind is working over time, with 'what does my daughter have'. Sorry for hijacking your post.

Fx :( sorry. :huh:

Edited by Frangipani

I have had PCOS all my adult life, and have read quite a few posts on this forum by other members with the same thing...

When I was a child and then a young adult, way before I had ever heard of AS, I always thought I had a more 'male' approach to some areas of my life. This has been remarked upon more than once by others, too :o:ph34r:

Dunno where the obsession with sparklies and shoes fits in with that, though! :lol:

Bid

I have had PCOS all my adult life, and have read quite a few posts on this forum by other members with the same thing...

When I was a child and then a young adult, way before I had ever heard of AS, I always thought I had a more 'male' approach to some areas of my life. This has been remarked upon more than once by others, too :o:ph34r:

Dunno where the obsession with sparklies and shoes fits in with that, though! :lol:

Bid

I'm more of a Sacha Baron-Cohen fan. Prof SB-C has some jolly weird ideas like all Aspies are engineers that could make for a funny movie but unlikely to get to the bottom of the spectrum. We all have hormones and some have them different to others but that is not a condition it is a state of being. Males become more female as they age and females more male so if you are a male female or a female male don't let anyone tell you there is anything "wrong" with you.

I think Tony Attwood and Prof Gilberg are more attuned to the "female" ASD. SB-C has a view that females get hysterical personality disorder as males get ASD which is the male equivalent of cow pats.

Like all psychiatrists you learn more about their own personalities from their prognoses than you do about those they are supposedly helping.

:wallbash::robbie::jester::ninja::lol::oops:

About time someone found out why either females get ASDs less or why their profile remains masked and unidentified more than males. Passivity verus aggression? No aggression, no diagnosis no cause to diagnose?