Bagpuss

What will happen....

Youngest dd 6 ASD has begun to ask "What will happen" whenever we ask her not to do something. It has now got completely out of hand.....she continually asks it, over and over.....ie "J, don't go in the back garden, the grass is wet and muddy"......she says "What will happen?"......we say "Well, you will get wet and soggy"...she says "and then what will happen"....we answer "you'll be cold"....she asks again "and then what will happen" :hypno::hypno::hypno:

I am feeling half demented by it.............any ideas of how to knock it on the head? :wacko:

oh dear :rolleyes: i am getting a similar thing from ds2, everything is WHY ahhhhhh, it gets to the point where i just say because!!! Sorry i dont have any decent advice but do know how you feel, im sure its just another phase!!!!

Brooke

I suppose it depends what sort of mood she's in when she's asking and why she is asking.

If she's trying to be humerous or doesn't appear over-anxious and could cope with a slight joke, a strange response might make her think about the questionning. 'What will happen if I get cold' 'we'll all have to move to the Sahara desert until you've thawed out'. At least she won't be prepared with the next 'what will happen question'

However, maybe she's anxious and seeking reassurance (both wanting to know what will happen next, but also knowing and wanting to hear the familiar response). Maybe it's the thought of the holidays and the unpredictability and less rigid routine coming up? :unsure:

Guest Lya of the Nox

did the kids know bout the moving stuff?

could this all be a need for security of home?

and you have just been a way?

take the Q as far as you can, or explain before you get the Q's

X

Jay does this too, and it can be so waring. It's a habit with him really, almost a reflex. He was worse when he was younger, before you'd even finished saying something he would interrupt with 'what do you mean', it was endless. Now I tend to turn it back on him and say something like, 'well, what do you think might happen', or 'well, why don't you have a think about it', or 'I'm sure you'll be able to work that out for yourself' and sometimes I just get very irritated and don't answer him. :whistle:

~ Mel ~

Thanks. I think my patience levels at the mo are zero, so I'm finding it more wearing than usual. She also starts crying if you can't come up with an answer...and eventually you do run out :tearful: You could be right Lya, and it may be connected to all the hassle over the house move. The kids were aware we were moving, and the bungalows kept changing :wacko: She has always had a need to know what exactly is going to happen, which I can understand. But this has gone to a whole new level. I want to say "Because I said so!!" but bite my tongue.....I know that will only escalate it, and is unfair to her.....just me getting frustrated.

Oooh, JP used to do this ALL THE TIME, Id completely forgotten about it till I read your post! He used to run it into one long word, whaddapeniff?

I suppose thats the good news really - that eventually it stops & you wipe it from your memory :lol:

The bad news is I had no clue at the time how to stop it! Sorry.

Thanks Pearl.......... good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

She was reading a magazine in bed this evening, from the Fire Brigade, warning of hazards. She wanted to know what'll happen if........we eventually reached "well, you would die"........and then she said "and then what'll happen" arrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :crying:

I had to go downstairs and eat a large bar of fruit and nut :wacko:

Thanks Pearl.......... good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

She was reading a magazine in bed this evening, from the Fire Brigade, warning of hazards. She wanted to know what'll happen if........we eventually reached "well, you would die"........and then she said "and then what'll happen" arrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :crying:

I had to go downstairs and eat a large bar of fruit and nut :wacko:

Whatever gets you through the night... :lol:

I find Jaffa Cakes do the trick.

When M was younger he would go through phases like that >:D<<'> brain-draining i used to call it.

Now, I usually say 'What do you think mate?' when he gets stuck into a pattern like that.

I soon irritate him enough to stop it!

Just spent a funny afternoon winding him up! He's getting a great sense of humour now. I kept asking him to stop doing something - 'coz it was bugging the h*ll out of me!! :wallbash: In the end is turned it on him :devil:

'M.........m........m (moaney voice..).............mmmmmm................' etc..etc...etc...

He would eventually say 'WHAT!'.

And i'd say 'Am i annoying you?'................ :devil:

'Yes mum' :wallbash:

And then i'd start again! :devil:

Get the feeling this might come back to bite me on the...........??........... :whistle:

When M was younger he would go through phases like that >:D<<'> brain-draining i used to call it.

Now, I usually say 'What do you think mate?' when he gets stuck into a pattern like that.

I soon irritate him enough to stop it!

Just spent a funny afternoon winding him up! He's getting a great sense of humour now. I kept asking him to stop doing something - 'coz it was bugging the h*ll out of me!! :wallbash: In the end is turned it on him :devil:

'M.........m........m (moaney voice..).............mmmmmm................' etc..etc...etc...

He would eventually say 'WHAT!'.

And i'd say 'Am i annoying you?'................ :devil:

'Yes mum' :wallbash:

And then i'd start again! :devil:

Get the feeling this might come back to bite me on the...........??........... :whistle:

I did the same thing with my ds, smiley. He is very echolalic, goes through phases when he repeats everything everyone says. On a good day we ignore it as we know he usually cannot help himself - but sometimes he does do it to annoy us. So, guess what? Like you, one day I started repeating what he said and he just laughed at me. Thought it was funny at first, but after a while he did realise how annoying it can be to have what you say repeated. Of course, this hasn't stopped him. Sometimes we get into a situation in which he says something I repeated him saying.... :wallbash: Oh the loop of life...

ddh