Bagpuss

Fear of flying

You know the villa in Southern Spain my lovely mum booked for us all in October....... well it's going to be cancelled. Feeling completely wussie and awful, but after seeing the news about the Brazil aircrash I felt really jittery, and I've gradually felt worse and worse. Not flown since early 90's, huge phobia (previous thread), and this was to be the big triumphant flight back to freedom and eventually Florida. Finally admitted to my mum this evening how I was feeling, because I was so scared of letting everyone down, and she has decided to cancel it tomorrow. DS had also asked yesterday if he could stay with a friend instead of coming, because he doesn't want to fly...............feeling so guilty, because I know his fear has come from me, and I wanted to show him flying was nothing to be scared of :tearful: I wanted the holiday to still go ahead, with DH and girlies going with mum and her partner, but mum feels it wouldn't be a family holiday without me and DS, and is adamant she wants to cancel. She's also concerned youngest dd will begin to pine for me after a couple of days :( DH is putting a brave face on it, but I know he's gutted......this would of been our first holiday abroad in the entire time we've been married (17 years)....due to my fear of flying. Mum has now suggested we go next year, to a villa again, but get the overnight ferry and drive, bless her, she's a star.

I hate feeling so pathetic, especially as I was feeling so strong and positive about flying, but just feel a huge sense of relief, which I know is so selfish of me considering I've ruined everyone's holiday :tearful:

Thinking of having a mooch online to see if I can book something for DH and girlies, so they can still fly and go away, even if it's just a short break.

my brother is a clinical hypnotist, he cant help im afraid cus he's working in korea for the next few months, but he has worked with loads of people who have phobias and managed to cure the vast majority of them. maybe there is someone local who could use hypnotherapy, its not as scary as it sounds

>:D<<'> baggy >:D<<'> you are not a wuss, you have a phobia.

Theres a section on tackling phobias in Derren Brown's book which I found quite helpful. (Think its called Trick of the Mind)

I am afraid of flying too - perhaps not as much as you Bagpuss - but we are flying to Austria next weekend and I am already getting myself worked up about it. I keep telling myself that people do it all the time, and the pilots are experts and well-trained, and then there is that research that says that you are more likely to suffer an accident in your car than in an airplane....

All this is my way of trying to talk myself into going. And I am sorry you were unable to overcome your fear this time, maybe next time? Dont beat yourself up about it. We all have our fears and yours just happens to be flying. My OH is afraid of heights, so is my DD - yet how come they dont associate that with flying? They think of nothing getting into a plane, yet they won't climb up a tree with me!

ddh

Guest Lya of the Nox

oh babe

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

we will work something out for you atween us all

x

>:D<<'> I have a fear of flying too. I had a flying lesson last year in a little 2 seater, was glad to land but was buzzing for several months afterwards! Yet nothing can make me get close to gettting on a plane for an hour or two...I prefer to use the ferry or tunnel, but that limits me to Europe. Try not to feel too guilty, your fear is very real. >:D<<'>

Thanks Mel and Clare >:D<<'> I've been having a look at breaks at EuroDisney. Never been before, and thought it would somehow make up for everyone not going to Spain, plus we could go via the ferry or tunnel. I also thought that because it would be October, it would be far cheaper than during the Summer Hols. Crikey, didn't realise just how dear it would be :o The cheapest quote I could find was nearly �800 for 2 nights, in a one bed bungalow :wacko:

oh sorry to hear your not going but i understand, i really dislike flying too as you know!! There are some courses you can go on etc but im sure you probably know. The lakes is really nice and there is lots to do, dh and i like Scotland too.

Brooke