Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

Adjournment and witnesses

So we have to go back with the same witnesses, do you have to do that? My Advocate has informed me she wants �400 to amend the statement and a further �400 to attend the tribunal.. So far we have spent �4,500. The advocate never rings us back, took ages to send off a letter which was urgent and now wants more money we haven't got!

Do we have to go in with the same people, the SALT wants another �450 and she wasn't even asked anything when we were there the first time! Also do we need the Ed Psych back, another �600 plus. We are in terrible debt, we are only going back to put another ASD school on the tabel as the last one was very very full..

I feel these people are so money grabbing and we are spent out.

Have you spoken to IPSEA about it? They may be able to give you the advice you need without having to pay out that kind of money.

Simon

Have you spoken to IPSEA about it? They may be able to give you the advice you need without having to pay out that kind of money.

Simon

We went down the IPSEA path before we got the advocate, they were very bogged down and we got the occasional calls etc. At the time lots of things were going on at home and we didn't have the time to get everything done and we voted for the advocate, IPSEA said they couldn't represent us and we didn't have the confidence. 3 months on and we are in the thick of it so I think it's too late in the day, I have left a message on their answerphone last week though for advice!

I'm just wondering if we wrote to the tribunal saying we didn't have anymore money and could we come ourselves would it be feasible?

Hi Cariad,

I've had a quick look through your previous posts and note that you had misgivings before about the advocate and the ed psych, who is her partner, and the amount of money they were asking. I don't really know what is an appropriate amount to charge here, but it does seem a bit dodgy to me: that they are trying to screw more money out of you for what essentially is the same tribunal hearing.

Re witnesses - I think it would be a good idea to phone the SENDIST contact person and ask whether it's compulsory for the same witnesses to attend an adjourned hearing - I'm not sure of this. If there is no requirement for them to do so, you need to ask yourself whether their presence or absence would significantly alter the proceedings? If all the evidence has been put forward and all the arguments have already been aired first time around, and the tribunal panel have already accepted in principle, the naming of a special school, there seems little point in dragging the same professionals along, unless there is something new and significant they could add. And the advocate - do you think she's worth the money? Only you know the answer.

It seems from what you've said that the major work has already been done here. You might be better off with saving your money and just taking a friend for moral support this time. Just my view.

I know it's not easy during school hols, but keep trying IPSEA and also the NAS advocacy line, as somebody may unexpectedly become free in time to assist you on the day. In the meantime they will give you good impartial advice over the phone.

Stay strong!

>:D<<'>

K x

Thanks Kathryn, DH has emailed her to say yes to the �400 for the changes to the statement but no to her attending the tribunal again as we are "spent out" and have no more money. I'm still waiting for the NAS to get back to me, so fingers crossed :thumbs:

Hi Cariad, seems we are in pretty much the same boat.

Have you tried SOS SEN? My barrister is thinking of getting them involved in my case as I am right out of pocket too.

Give them a try and see if they can offer any assistance >:D<<'>

Why was the case adjourned? If all the issues have been decided already then you don't need to have them attend. If they haven't then you may need some or all- ask the solicitor- explain your finances- cant see why they cant advise about that without charging you anymore. You can actually instruct a barrister direct- saving the solicitors costs. You refer to "advocate"- is this a solicitor, a barrister ? NAS helpline should be able to help. I have heard SOS Sen are useful. Good luck

It was adjourned so we could have time to look for other schools and options as the school we wanted was completely brimming full. We were afriad that with no other options that the Tribunal would put him in the unsuitable school.