Sign in to follow this  
cmuir

MOOD DISORDERS

Hi

My son is 5 and has AS. His consultant who is amazing (she's the only one that seen R and actually worked out what's going on!) thinks R has a mood disorder on top of AS (is bordering on ADHD as well). R is like Jekyll and Hyde and can be fantastic one minute, then like someone possessed the next. Emotionally he's up and down like a yo-yo. When he wakes up in the morning, I never know what kind of mood he's going to be in. It's like someone flips a switch or presses a remote control and he becomes a different child (even my mum's dog was really wary of him this morning!).

We're waiting for a placement at a unit which is due to start in September. He'll attend the unit 2 days per week and then go to mainstream as normal remainder of the week over a period of 3 months. I'm really concerned what kind of effect that'll have on him. He has anxiety problems and I'm worried about the change in routine/disruption. His consultant is of the opinion that attendance at the unit is the only way that a clinical psychologist will be able to assess him thoroughly over a period of time. That's all well and good if he's assessed by someone who knows what they're talking about! R was recently seen by someone at CAMHS (5 sessions/1 per week) who played with him and talked to him. Thing is he was angelic, but then what on earth did she think she would achieve/see, since he's in his comfort zone playing?!

We've recently moved house and R has settled in really well despite all the building work going on. Got on really well with electricians, roofer and joiner thankfully - can be very hostile towards others. I persuaded joiner (for a fee of course) to assemble/build his playhouse. It's an amazing structure which is elevated, accessed by ladder, has a pitched roof, opening and closing doors/windows, pitched roof, etc. Yet, he's hardly went near it. I got no reaction from him whatsoever. Show me a 5 year old child that wouldn't want a playhouse!? Just finding it really hard seeing how different from other kids he's becoming and really worried about what lies ahead. I'm worried sick about his going back to school. Really breaking my heart seeing R so volatile.

Got a meeting with his consultant, social worker and CAMHS on 7 August. I've been keeping a diary over past couple of weeks of how R's been in terms of mood, behaviour, etc. I know his social worker and consultant (who is a very highly respected professor) will be on my side (they've seen and heard too much from R!), but I can't bear the waiting. Really want to know what's wrong with my son and get a definitive diagnosis. Just not sure what to expect - been led to believe they'll be looking at bipolar and schizophrenia.

Does anyone else have a young child with an ASD and a mood disorder? What help is there? How do you cope? - so many questions!

Caroline.

Hi Caroline,

my son doesn't have a mood disorder however I'm pretty familiar with the symptoms of bipolar as both my dad and one of my brothers have it. With bipolar, (and this is just my experience from observation) the mood takes awhile to establish. There seems to be a gradual build up to being 'high' and then a gradual come down to the 'low' (depression). However, the mood can be quite volatile when they are 'high' and it's not very nice for anyone.

Sorry, no help at all really but have lots of these >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> .

Hope things get sorted quickly for you and R.

Eva

After ds last suicide attempt I was told he was a bit too young to dx as bi polar (dh dad was bi polar and killed himself when dh was a young boy) but it would be something they would be looking out for. As far as I am aware bi polar, schizophrenia asd adhd are all linked.

Your "great" dr will get to the bottom of it!!

Carrie

Thanks.

Interesting feedback.

My son is 5 and he frequently self-harms (ties shoelaces around his neck, has tried on more than one occasion to run on road in front of oncoming vehicles, headbangs, tried to cut himself with knife, etc). His moods are very up and down. He can seem very depressed one minute and then almost euphoric the next. He talks a lot about death and not wanting to die because he hates living.

Will be interesting to see what his consultant (great) and CAMHS (hopeless!) make of the diary that I've been keeping at the meeting on Tuesday.

Caroline.

I don't know about mood disorders - but was told by the consultants that my daughters behaviour was completely 'normal' for children with ASD.

Every emotion she has is the extreme - her sadness is almost grief (like you've lost someone) - her happiness is extreme in your face - it is like facing a continual rollercoaster - one minute she is laughing maniacally and loud and excited and the next she could be in your face repeating and repeating herself at one wrong word that I've said...........getting frustrated, angry or depressed.

The way they explained everything to us was that there is no thermostat on emotions or senses - which describes my daughter exactly - there is no gradual build up or slow deflation. When she's just 'normal' her expression is nothing, her body movements are sluggish and she's very quiet - i.e. when she's occupied on the computer or drawing etc.

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

I don't know about mood disorders - but was told by the consultants that my daughters behaviour was completely 'normal' for children with ASD.

Every emotion she has is the extreme - her sadness is almost grief (like you've lost someone) - her happiness is extreme in your face - it is like facing a continual rollercoaster - one minute she is laughing maniacally and loud and excited and the next she could be in your face repeating and repeating herself at one wrong word that I've said...........getting frustrated, angry or depressed.

The way they explained everything to us was that there is no thermostat on emotions or senses - which describes my daughter exactly - there is no gradual build up or slow deflation. When she's just 'normal' her expression is nothing, her body movements are sluggish and she's very quiet - i.e. when she's occupied on the computer or drawing etc.

Take care,

Jb

I can relate to that JB..................... Mike is like that, expecially your description of 'normal'.

I also understand Carolines comments about not knowing what mood you are going to get when they wake up and that it can be like a switch which suddenly changes them from one mood to another.

I find it very hard to deal with although I suppose I have kinda got used to that being the way Mike is. Don't like the fact that I never know how he will react to something and constantly waiting for major blow ups. I feel like I am a coiled spring all the time waiting to deal with the next major thing.

Big hugs to you xx >:D<<'>