Tally

Tanzania Photos

I couldn't possibly post them all, but here is a link to some of the photos that I took in Tanzania: http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/Tallu...ania/?start=all

There will be more when my mum, dad and brother send me their photos as well. I don't have any of the cheetah or leopard on my camera.

Feel free to ask me questions about any of them!

We flew to Dar Es Salaam and flew straight on to Arusha in northern Tanzania.

From there we went to the Lake Manyara National Park, and saw a huge concentration of animals, including blue monkeys, baboons, impala and elephants. We spent 3 nights camping in the Serengeti National Park, and going out in the car to see animals. We saw lions, gazelles, hippo, zebra, giraffe, a cheetah and a leopard. Then we went to the Ngorongoro Crater, which is an ancient volcano, and the crater fell in. It is 18 miles wide. There we saw a rhino!

Then we went to Zanzibar. We visited the capital, Stone Town. There are a lot of shops selling souvenirs like paintings, Maasai jewellery and wood carvings. The sellers hassle you a lot, and you end up just wanting to run away, even if you've seen something you want. In the evenings, there are loads of food stalls on a big green by the sea front, where you can buy fish and meat kebabs. There are also a lot of nice restaurants. The food is influenced by Middle-Eastern, Indian, Chinese and Portuguese cuisine. We visited the House of Wonders, the museum of the history of Zanzibar. In 1896 the Sultan hid there . . . I forget what he did, but he had to go into hiding because he did something bad . . . and British Marines, including my great-grandfather, bombarded the building for 45 minutes until the Sultan surrendered.

Then we flew back to Dar Es Salaam and had a tour of the city, which consisted of being taken to 2 museums. The truth is, there is nothing to see in Dar Es Salaam except slums. We stayed there one night and flew back to London at 36,000 feet, and around 560mph!

This morning I drove back home to Devon and found a slow worm and a giant weed in my garden!

There is severe poverty in Tanzania. The average wage is US$1 per week. 25% of the sexually active population are infected with HIV. It has only 25% literacy. Primary education is now free, but not compulsory, and many children are needed to work on farms instead. The government are not able to provide a good standard of education. There is private education for those who can afford it. Children stand in the street asking for pens, and you think you are helping them to go to school, but apparently they just swap them for sweets. There clearly are opportunities for people to make a good living out of the tourist industry, but I wonder if these opportunities exist only for those who have some wealth to start with. It's difficult to know what the answer is.

it looks lovely there photos r gr8. its hard wen theres so much poverty, makes us realise how lucky we r

love donnax

thanx for sharing with usxxx

Great photos :thumbs: , however the photo of the spider has Tanzania crossed of my places to visit list! :blink:

Seems like you had a great time. :D

A x

I don't know what the green light is for, maybe it is to help you find the toilet brush in the dark . . . but the switch for the green light was with the switch for the bathroom light anyway, and if it was dark, you wouldn't know you needed a toilet brush! It's a mystery.

Edited by Tally

Tally,

Fantastic photo's thank you soooooo much for sharing them with us. Sounds like a brilliant adventure.

Clare x x x