BuntyB

Depression?

Hi,

Like many of you school hols have been just as bad as trying to get L to school!

L has been like a recluse since the beginning of the holidays refusing to go anywhere or do anything, at the same time she flops about complainig how bored she is.

On a few occassions with coaxing, bribing, threats and tempers frayed we have managed to get her out with us. Whilst out she laughs and jokes but suggest she' having a good time and she goes into a rage.

For the past couple of weeks L has been sleeping on the floor in her sister's room because she say's there are spiders in hers. Hubby offers to remove them but they 'disappear' when he's there only to reappear one he's gone.

Food has been an obsession, now it's dirt. Okay, the house isn't great. but she's spent this lunchtime firstly screaming and bawling at a fly, then throwing up because her spoon had 'something dirty on it.'

A lot of the time I think she's depressed. Her sisters meet friends and she just flops about. Sometimes her behaviour is dsturbing, but we've had no input since her diagnosis 3 years ago.

How do you decide whether this is just what to expect or whether to involve professional help?

i found my 8 year old doing the same thing. sleeping under my bed. he says he cant sleep and then wonders around' most times i can get him back into his room but he makes me sit there for an hour. this is maybe one in the morning. i didnt even know he was under the bed sleeping until this morning. it makes me feel very tired the next morning especially because i have another couple of younger children to get up with. like yourself i dont know what to do. he hasnt been diagnosed yet. i will be seeking advice. sorry i couldnt help you. your not on your own if thats any consolation.

Hi Shona,

Not sure I can be much help.. I think if it was me.. I'd read up on depression and ASD's. I think NAS do a little booklet, and would have a look at what strategies I've got in place, and whether they are a help or not working, or in some cases I've let them slip. ( which I often do!) Is it just the stress of the holidays.. lack of routine...lack of structure.. a need to be in control. If so what can I do ... if I still felt unhappy or concerned i'd probably get in tocuh with professionals saying I had concerns. Its a difficult call.

My DS has started getting a bit obessional about dirt recently where eating is concerned so I can empathise with you on that.

all the best

juney

Id like to say that my son behaves in exactly the same way as youre daughter does when it comes to leaving the house.Even more so when he was younger hes 13 now.He sits around most of the day in his pygamas if were lucky if were not hes naked,watches tv and wont step outside the door even when its been lovely weather.You end up forceing him to go then he whinges all the time to get back home.When he was younger me and his sister were trapped in the house with him all the summer long.

Although hes still an immovable object when he wants to be about going out now hes older were lucky and he can be left home alone for an hour or so so we can get out so hes happy and we arnt driven as nutty.

For us its got easier with time.

Sorry cant help on the depression part.

But i try to always remember that just coz we as none autistics/aspergers folks would hate to sit inside,doing nothing aparently alone and in my sons case hardly speaking doesnt mean there not happy about it.Its what they do and like.Thats what i try to think.

My sons agreed to leave the house today.Thankgod.

Edited by Paula

Hi Paula,

I agree with you there. We've come to an arrangment that we go out twice a week - usually for about 90 minutes if I am lucky. I can sometimes push it to 3 times a week if where we are going is expectionally quiet.

I'm resigned to spending the bank hol weekend in the house, I am hoping to get him out in the garden somewhow to at leat get some fresh air.

When I said he needed fresh air a couple of weeks ago he said to me " Define 'fresh air'"!!!! lol!!

juney

Hiya

I have an L too!!! who has a permanant food obsession - current one is soup which is much healthier than when she would only eat chinese for 3 weeks!!!!) As well as that there are always several others going on. At the moment it's hand washing because '' everything she touches is dirty'' which I wouldn't mind if she didn't use the tshirt she has worn for well over a week to dry them!!!! Another big one at the moment are flies which we are 'not allowed to kill because she loves them''!!

Good luck with the spiders!! :unsure:

Gail

Halifax

p.s

I am convinced that my daughter is very depressed but getting the right help is like :wallbash:

Gail

Hi,

Like many of you school hols have been just as bad as trying to get L to school!

L has been like a recluse since the beginning of the holidays refusing to go anywhere or do anything, at the same time she flops about complainig how bored she is.

On a few occassions with coaxing, bribing, threats and tempers frayed we have managed to get her out with us. Whilst out she laughs and jokes but suggest she' having a good time and she goes into a rage.

For the past couple of weeks L has been sleeping on the floor in her sister's room because she say's there are spiders in hers. Hubby offers to remove them but they 'disappear' when he's there only to reappear one he's gone.

Food has been an obsession, now it's dirt. Okay, the house isn't great. but she's spent this lunchtime firstly screaming and bawling at a fly, then throwing up because her spoon had 'something dirty on it.'

A lot of the time I think she's depressed. Her sisters meet friends and she just flops about. Sometimes her behaviour is dsturbing, but we've had no input since her diagnosis 3 years ago.

How do you decide whether this is just what to expect or whether to involve professional help?

My son has a classic answer for avoideing getting washed or showered......

When i say you need a bath he says he doesnt because hes been out in the rain and thats washed him

He wents weeks when we had that constant raine.But alas its been sunny so hes had no excuses.Though no doubt hes thinking something up.

The other day i cleaned out his ears with a cotton bud and i couldnt beleive it when he said "IM back in the room" Like of little britaine i didnt half laugh.And they say aspies have no sence of humour i challange anyone on that.They do.

DS likes going out then halfway through a lovely day says "I want to go home now!" very annoying. Have you got a social worker, you really sound like you need help, even go to the GP's as a starting stone. We now have help with the DS as things were dire, also have respite as I was really going under with the strain!

Sounds rather like us, Con has refused to go out, stays up most of the night and will sleep most of the day. Complains about things being dirty or other people touching or using things, for example will now only use one glass and noone else can and one set of cutlery that is different from all the rest so he knows its his, has started avoiding eating in front of others and complains constantly of feeling unwell though can't say whats wrong. This summer has been the worse he's ever been and I am dreading trying to get him back to school in September. CAMHS say he isn't depressed just anxious which goes with the terriorty of having AS they are giving us anxiety management sessions but they are months apart so everything is just hopeless, as usual its all left down to me to have to deal with/sort out and I never know where or not I am doing the right thing.

Good luck Shona try to get as much help as you can or is offered.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

Hiya

I have an L too!!! who has a permanant food obsession - current one is soup which is much healthier than when she would only eat chinese for 3 weeks!!!!)

Lol Gail, My L will only eat soup a lot of the time. Her favourite is chinese chicken and sweetcorn- until a fly fell in it! :whistle:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Edited by Shona