Tally

Brave Day

Today I managed to do some really normal every day things, which I would like to be brave enough to do every day.

I traveled on the London Underground, by myself, 9 stops without getting off for some daylight.

I couldn't get the ticket machine to work, so I went up to the ticket desk and asked for a ticket.

I got a train. A stranger sat next to me, but then he got up and stood in the corridor, pointing at his head, making a circular motion with his finger and some other people in the carriage laughed. I am not the one who stood in the corridor when there was a spare seat. Maybe he was referring to himself. Whatever. I got 2 seats to myself!

I took a bus. I didn't have exact change because I didn't know what the fare was, but the driver didn't mind. I didn't even know which bus I needed because I couldn't make any sense of the bus timetable, but that was also OK because I asked the driver and he didn't shout at me or tell me I was stupid, just said, "no, you want the next one." The next one had my destination written on the front, so I knew it was the right one. The teenagers at the back of the bus were laughing at my funny walk and how I said, "a single to the bus station please." I could hear them saying I should be locked up. So far I can't take a bus without looking funny, but yesterday I could not take a bus at all, so I feel like I have made a positive step.

I telephoned a stranger and she is coming to my house tomorrow to give me a quote for the wallpapering I want doing (not just any old random stranger, a proper decorator)

Edited by Tally

Tally that's great. I would have probably either started on, or got really upset by and ended up in tears, the man with the circular finger and/or the teenagers and got myself into all sorts of trouble :fight:

I think it's a very sorry sign of parts of the society we live in however that people, and particularly grown men/women, think it's ok to treat other individuals like this. It really makes me quite upset and angry - there is no need for this behaviour - you were harming no-one, I don't harm anyone. I really don't understand why they do it.

Bid - I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree at least in terms of public transport - doing it more and more doesn't make it easier. I only do it because I have no choice. Doing it more and more exposes me to more and more of the harsh, unbelievably cruel, unhelpful, shelfish and downright nasty people that I have to share my space with. Everytime I take a bus or a train I run through an ever longer growing filmstrip construction of all the things that have happened to me in the past. It becomes easier because I know what to do (I know how to take a train, get a ticket etc. whereas planes scare me because I don't know how to do these things or what is expected of me) but it does not become easier in terms of the actual experience.

Good on you Tally, you sounded very focused and achieved your goal today and have every right to feel proud of yourself (I am supposed to be "NT" and I would struggle to do all that, especially not being sure what bus to get on.....oooh nightmare for me) As for those ignorant people you experienced, well done for not letting them get to you, they are very sad little people with very sad shallow lives.

Clare x x x

The trouble was that the bus goes a circular route, but they run in both directions. I was only going a short distance so I needed one going in the right direction. But they both have the same number :wallbash:

It will be easier next time in that I now know how to ask for my ticket, and I know it's Ok to ask the driver if he's going to my destination.

Well done Tally :D You done great yesterday!

I telephoned a stranger and she is coming to my house tomorrow to give me a quote for the wallpapering I want doing (not just any old random stranger, a proper decorator)

How did you do today with the decorator?

The decorator was OK. She said it's 3 weeks' work though, so I really need to find a larger firm who can send several people to do it in a week. So I need to make more phone calls on Monday morning. I have a number for a plasterer as well, and I need an electrician before anything else. I have a deadline now, so hopefully I will be able to do it.

I have an electrician coming next Wednesday to sort out the light. He is going to put a new light fitting in where I can reach it to change the lightbulb. He said it won't look odd being off-centre.

I have a plasterer coming next Thursday and Friday to plaster my ceilings. I rang a plasterer this morning, but he said he could not do stairwells although he was doing one right now . . . he did not want the job basically. I rang another one and he came this evening to give me a quote. He said he was doing a quote at 6 and he'd come after that, so I thought I had until at least 6.15 to get up and dressed, but he knocked at the door at 6 exactly. I was still in my pyjamas! I shoved on a jumper and answered the door. I was half asleep but I think I managed OK. His quote was far cheaper than I had feared. I wonder if that is because my PJ trousers are kind of a bit see through and I was wearing red knickers! (At least I was wearing knickers!)

I haven't phoned a decorator yet. That's for tomorrow. I have 2 firms in mind already.

Edited by Tally

Crikey Tally, theres no stopping you :notworthy::notworthy: I have someone coming to give me a quote for a shower tomorrow, I'm going to wear my best Bridget Jones knickers, and hope for the best. I was hoping he'll be so horrified, he'd give me a cheap quote to escape :lol: