Sign in to follow this  
Millymoo

What do we expect at ASD assessment?

Hi

I was wondering if anyone cuold tell me what to expect at my son's assessment? He's nearly 3 and has some traits of ASD, His dad & uncle both have aspergers. I've really got no idea. Is there anything I need to tell them? I feel in the dark a bit.

Also can anyone tell me if these are to do with ASD or just NT toddler behaviour:

Repetition of the same word over & over again, even when he's been acknowledged, it's like he's oblivious & keeps repeating it.

Half the time he's the sweetest little boy & the other he's really violent towards his brother & us for absolutely no reason (it's like a split personality!)

Completely ignoring people talking to him unless I say 'listen' and touch his chin so he looks at me. He's not deaf as he's had detailed hearing tests

I'd be grateful for any help or advice

Thanks

Sarah x

Hi

My son was diagnosed when he was 5 with asd. It took a long while to get there though. He was first assessed at 2 and half by a pead i had very similar worrys to you and basically new something wasnt quite right but him being my first son i blamed myself a lot and didnt put up a fight when the pead said he was fine.

Im not sure what your assessment will involve it depends who is doing it? But O's first assesment was the pead coming out and asking questions then she went to visit him at his nursery and thought he was fine. So after that there wasnt much else i could do and he started school but luckily for me they picked up his behaviour straight away and referred him back to the hosp, after a lot of assesments and reports he was finally diagnosed. i definatley think getting the right school is extremely important as i wouldnt have gotten his diagnosis if it wasnt for there support.

I also have a son who is 2-1/2 and he is being assessed by the speech and language team now im certain he is autistic too but i think they dont see it yet. What im doing is writing down all the odd behaviour that he does (as i always forget) and then i have a clear picture of what i need to say when i see them. Im sure it will be a struggle again as my boys are high on the spectrum but i hope it is better for you and dont give up if you really feel that he has asd then keep going and hopefully you will get there in the end.

This is just my experience as everyones is different >:D<<'>

Brooke

Firstly do not worry, they usually ask you about your familys history. My son was diagnosed at the age of 4, we had a 4 day assesment. Basically they meet everyone who is in contact with you son including pre-school and consultants, at the end of the day they will do there best to help you son with his needs. My son use to pull his sisters hair all the time and got really frustrated if we couldn't understand him. Now he attends a special school for children with ASD thanks to his assesment and the changes in him are fantastic. Hope this helps

it depends an awful lot where you are from as it varies from area to area. Here mine went though to "complex development disorder team assessment" First we saw consultant who took detailed history. Questionares were sent out for home and school with 40 questions on each. A score above 20 indicates a significant amount of ASD charactoristics.

Then an Educational Pyschologist does an assessment, speech and language therapist, and OT. Once all the reports are in they have a meeting and look at the diagnostic criterias. They look at 2 criterias Gilbergs sp? and DSM and tick the boxes according to the assessments. Then the diagnosis comes through in the post after about a year and you can make an appointment to see the consultant to discuss the results.

Some areas do computor assessments, and I know of one person who got the diagnosis in the room of the first appointment!

Thanks for your replies, it sounds like the assessments can vary alot. I know there will be a paediatrician, Speech therapist and Psycologist so we'll have to wait & see, I just want to know, one way or the other.

Thanks again

Edited by Millymoo

Thanks for your replies, it sounds like the assessments can vary alot. I know there will be a paediatrician, Speech therapist and Psycologist so we'll have to wait & see, I just want to know, one way or the other.

Thanks again

Hi Millymoo,

My DD had what sounds like the same combined assessment, paediatrician, Speech therapist and Psycologist, They asked us loads of questions about family history including my pregnancy and her delivery, what DD likes/dislike, what ages did DD meet her early milestones, The pead also sat and played/chatted with DD for about an hour. After this we the had an IQ test with Psycologist. And we have just (yesterday) been given a Dx.

The whole assessment from start to finish (Dx) took 2 months.

Hope this help and Good Luck.