Bard

Ooof!

There I was today, alone in Brighton, about to cross the road.

It was quite a busy junction, but I assessed the situation like a grown-up and started to move.

Then the boy standing next to me screamed 'No!, No! ' grabbed my arm, belted me in the stomach very hard, and yelled

'YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE GREEN MAN!'

He was about 10, and My God, he packed a punch!

As I wheezed away, leaning on the traffic light, his mum said "Oh, I'm sorry. He's got Asperger's ' and walked off. By then, the green man had finally shown up.

So be warned, all you risk-takers, there's a vigilante on the loose. And he doesn't pull his punches!

I had to laugh, once I got my breath back. It's one of the things I'm very clear about with B. Wait until it's safe to cross.

Not until the ...well, you know the rest.

Hi ,

my son is obessed by road rules.He has asbergers and adhd . For someone so impulsivve hes so rigit to the rules. Thankfully his traffic light crossings amuse me ,impulsive yet so rule bound,I trust him not. But crossings have been an ongoing amusment and public argument in our house .Thank god we are normal.

xoxoxoxox

:lol: Well at least he picked an understanding person to thump!

JP still hates it when I cross before the green man.

And at university, we had a friend who INSISTED on waiting for the green man & stood there stubbornly when there wasnt a car in sight, long after we'd all crossed. We regarded him as an endearing eccentric. One of his many rigidities.... and yes, we now reckon he was undiagnosed. Well, he couldnt have been dx'd in the 70s, anyway.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be alive when you get to the other side of the road (or being alive to get to the other side). I find it very difficult to judge how far cars are away and how much time it will take to get there. I can't tell which direction noises are coming from so if I hear a car/motorbike/policecar it could well be zooming towards me for all I know. I am also very rule bound. Rules such as crossing with the green man are clearly sensible and there is an inherent predictability in it.

I'd much rather wait a little longer and be safe even if it means being thought of as eccentric/odd/whatever than be killed.

EDIT: I just re-read what I wrote and thought it sounded a little harsh - it wasn't meant to at all. I just don't see what's wrong with wanting to wait - if I'm on my own particularly - as it doesn't cause a problem to anyone else (don't worry anyone who goes to a meetup with me - I won't start punching you if you cross without the green man :lol:)

On a separate note: there's a crossing on the way to my mum's where people keep getting run over because you can't see clearly and they put up a sign saying "only cross with a green man". I had visions of the Apple Tango Man appearing out of nowhere to accompany people across the road. :wacko:

Edited by Mumble

I was waiting to read the other thread....from the member who's son has punched someone at the crossing :lol:

I did wonder about that you know!

I didn't have a problem with him or his mum waiting for the green man!

I just wish that he'd restricted himself to shouting at me.

I'm a bit sore today, it really was quite a wallop.

If that happens again, with a different person, he might get into some serious trouble. Technically, it's an unprovoked assault.

I did wonder about that you know!

I didn't have a problem with him or his mum waiting for the green man!

I just wish that he'd restricted himself to shouting at me.

I'm a bit sore today, it really was quite a wallop.

If that happens again, with a different person, he might get into some serious trouble. Technically, it's an unprovoked assault.

Ooh difficult. Sounds like the boy's mum is so used to her son's behaviour she doesn't really see situations from the outside any more, especially if she didn't explain clearly to the boy that he mustn't do that. I've certainly seen that sort of behaviour at crossings with my son, (although not to the extent of hitting anyone!) As has been said, lucky it was you! ;)