Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Told Work!

I told my supervisor that I have AS!

She is going to read the thingy I wrote today and then help me tell management - she wanted to understand what she was telling them first, which makes complete sense!

She also said that she's never heard anyone make nasty comments about me, and that people just think I am quiet because I am hard-working.

It does affect me less in work with the rigid structure and routine anyway.

I don't know how management are going to react, but it's going well so far!

Phew - well done Tally! :)

She sounds like a good ally to have, someone willing to take time to understand everything and help explain to others. Let us know what the outcome is.

K x

Tally,

Well done, your supervisor sounds really nice and very sensible wanted to ensure she understands before talking to management, I am sure you'll find them supportive. Its encouraging to hear the others see you as hard working and quiet, just the way we all hope others see us.

Clare x x x

That's great news Tally - well done :thumbs: I hope it goes really well with management.

Gives me more confidence in approaching the others in my research group with my dx. :)

So far the one other colleague I told was fine too, although he asked me 'what meant I was AS, then', which left me floundering a bit as to where to start! :lol:

Good luck, Mumbley! >:D<<'>

Bid :)

he asked me 'what meant I was AS, then', which left me floundering a bit as to where to start! :lol:

Turn it back on him and ask him what makes him an NT :devil: That should make him think a while about the questions he asks in future :whistle:

She hasn't had time to read it yet because she worked an 18-hour shift last night. She is going to read it today though.

I think a lot of the way I am is quite hidden, that I think very differently, but it doesn't always show on the outside because I don't say much.

As far as I know she has passed it onto management, but NO ONE HAS SAID ANYTHING and I am too scared to ask her. I don't know if my department managers know yet either, but one of them doesn't seem to like me very much and the other never speaks to me anyway, so if they were treating me different I wouldn't really notice.

I did get a phone call from work and I wondered if they wanted to ask me something about it, but it turned out they just wanted me to work some overtime :angry:

I talked to my supervisor again about it.

She has told the Personnel Manager and passed on what I wrote. He said that no one needs to know about it and hasn't told the other 2 night managers. The thing is, they are probably the people who need to know most, since they are the people giving me instructions and who would be first to deal with any problems that might occur, and could perhaps use that knowledge to diffuse a situation. Anyway, it's a step in the right direction.

I said that I wanted to tell because I have had problems in previous jobs, and I would rather explain now than wait until I upset someone and then make it seem like I am using AS as an excuse to upset everyone. I don't think I'd made that clear before, but she seemed to think it made sense. I don't know if she'll pass it on.

On Friday I had to go to a meeting about the new payroll system, headed by the Personnel Manager. He'd put spelling mistakes all over his 'visual aids' and I pointed one out before I realised I had to stop. He got irritated because I was looking around the room instead of at him and fidgeting and he asked me if I was listening. It was like being back at school except I now have the confidence to say, "yes my ears are listening, even if my eyes aren't." He asked if anyone had a pen and I said, "yes," but he had to ask the borrow it before I realised he actually wanted it. It's obvious now, but it wasn't at the time. But maybe now he has worked out the importance of telling people, I don't know how much I need to embarrass myself before he does.

I said that I wanted to tell because I have had problems in previous jobs, and I would rather explain now than wait until I upset someone and then make it seem like I am using AS as an excuse to upset everyone. I don't think I'd made that clear before, but she seemed to think it made sense. I don't know if she'll pass it on.

I totally agree - this is the stance I have taken. My disclosure didn't go as I'd hoped but now I'm thinking, well they know and it's really up to them what they do with that info. But I would much rather than know before something happened than, as you say, AS being seen as an excuse.

If she doesn't pass it on, could you just give a copy to the two managers? Just put it in an envelope with their name on and hand it to them as you are leaving your shift (preferably before your day off) and say - "I've given this to [personnel manager's name], I think she may have given it to you already but I wasn't sure so I made a copy for you. Anyway, I have to go, my cats need feeding, goodnight".

Hope it goes ok.

Mumble :)

Guest Lya of the Nox

well meggzie mate reckons she should tell all at school,

staff and kids alike, i think cos she can see how others struggle to understand her

but tis a biggie

tally that guy just sounds a wee bit up himself, so dont take it personally

xx

He's OK actually. I think he just thought it was the right thing, and what I wanted, to keep it confidential, when what I really want is for someone else to tell everyone for me so I don't have to.

Hi Tally

Can I ask if the disclosure has helped with communication with your supervisors which I guess is your main reason for disclosure in the first place?

I think it could have done, but the Personnel and Store manager have decided it's confidential and not to tell anyone, and I don't really know what to do about it. I am too scared to approach them myself.

Hi Tally

I've been thinking about your post and it has just occurred to me, I think if I was to tell a company I had AS then I would like to know whether they understood the problem or whether they would be prepared to find out about it.

Not sure how you would go about this but it would prevent telling them and then nothing happening which I fear may have been why you wanted to tell them. It would seem there is a great deal of education needed with employers surrounding AS.