ellisisamazing

Thought there had been an earthquake.......

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

About 30 mins ago, I was in the bathroom with my DD, she was on the loo, I was washing my face...then I heard an almighty crash, like something you hear in a film, so I came running down the stairs and could see around a fifth of my ceiling down all over the floor, in the sink, in the kettle, the hob, the toaster etc :tearful::tearful::tearful::tearful: Not only have the ceiling tiles come down, but also the plaster and you can see the floor boards in the bathroom and also exposed electrical wiring!! I feel sick.....there is dust and debris everywhere, I have no idea where to start??? :crying:

There must be a leak under the bath and in the bath, I have no idea where to begin, and I really don't need this.....

Why?

I am also terrified of going into the bathroom, what if the the floorboards are so weak? We could end up in the kitchen whilst on the loo! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Thank Goodness El is still in bed

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

How awful - I hope you can get it sorted - I wouldn't have a clue where to start. My mum has some policy with the AA - home protection or something - and if anything happens she calls them and they come and fix it/send the necessary people to fix it. A bit like a breakdown service for your house. I don't know if you can join after something has happened though. :(

Blimey Lisa, I know the earth moves in your house on a regular basis, but......

Seriously, its a rotten thing to happen. When we had our bathroom refitted a few years ago, the plumber found the floorboards under the loo were like shredded wheat, we could indeed have descended through the ceiling mid-poo at any time!

And its always on a Sunday these things happen, isnt it?

Big >:D<<'> s to you, hope you get it sorted, is mr el at home?

Oh my god!!

What are you going to do, is it council or are you brought? If cancel then there are emergency no's you can call. If brought then i hope you have insurance.

I don't think you should go into the bathroom, try and clean up what you can downstairs but stay out of the bathroom, can you put a bolt on the outside of the bathroom door to prevent children from going in for now untill it has been checked?

Hope you manage to getit sorted, just whatyou need on a sunday, NOT !!

Take Care >:D<<'>

Thanks Mumble and Pearl >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Luckily we have house insurance for anything like this, but I was one minute from bringing DD down to get breakfast, I dread to think of the implications if we had have been in there..... :tearful: Some of the pieces that came down are really heavy and could have caused serious injury. DH has pulled some of the hanging edges down by poking it with a broom, so it is safe to go in there now!

DH thinks he can do this himself with my ex builder Dads skills and "assistance", case of replacing some slats, replaster and remove rest of ceiling tiles (we always hated them anyway)...just never wanted to pull them down for the fear of what was underneath! I am more adamant than ever to sell this old rumbling pile and move into a nice, new build shiny modern town house than ever!

Thanks again, I am seriously considering a vat of wine to calm me down!

Lisa xx

p.s DH laughed at your earth moving comment with a "told you so" and a Sad Dad style pelvic thrust! :sick::sick::sick::lol:

Oh my god!!

What are you going to do, is it council or are you brought? If cancel then there are emergency no's you can call. If brought then i hope you have insurance.

I don't think you should go into the bathroom, try and clean up what you can downstairs but stay out of the bathroom, can you put a bolt on the outside of the bathroom door to prevent children from going in for now untill it has been checked?

Thanks you too! >:D<<'>

We are home owners with insurance luckily, the damage is not apparentley as bad as it looks (the floorboards are damp but not rotten), and seems to be isolated to under the bath area, so that is out of bounds. Thankfully we have a separate shower and loo ensuite, so we will using that until everthing is completely safe!!

The bathroom looks fine, but the kitchen looks like a derelict building site, I have cleaned some of the mess, moved all the big bits of ceiling, but have to keep walking away for a breather, there is plaster dust everywhere and bits of wooden slat!

Thanks again!

Lisa xx

Oh my god!!

Thank you too! >:D<<'>

We are home owners with insurance luckily, the damage is not apparentley as bad as it looks (the floorboards are damp but not rotten), and seems to be isolated to under the bath area, so that is out of bounds. Thankfully we have a separate shower and loo ensuite, so we will using that until everthing is completely safe!!

The bathroom looks fine, but the kitchen looks like a derelict building site, I have cleaned some of the mess, moved all the big bits of ceiling, but have to keep walking away for a breather, there is plaster dust everywhere and bits of wooden slat!

Thanks again!

Lisa xx

I know how you feel, ours has fallen in twice. The dust and mess is unbelievable and you keep finding bits in the strangest places. My son is the culprit in our house he has an obsession with water and taps and Im forever moping the floor. It took us ages to get the last episode sorted, we just got used to having a hole in the ceiling. It wasnt until a friend politely pointed out that it looked dreadful that we got it sorted.

Try to vaccum and sweep as much as possible before washing, it just seems to spread further when wet.

Good luck.

Thanks Lorryw! >:D<<'>

You are sooooo right, it took about three hours to clean the mess, it was everywhere. I was on the verge of crying and walked out, to get some space. I ended up going to buy dust sheets and then ventured into subway cause I hadn't eaten.....a lovely little boy in the queue said to me, "Hello, I'm not well today!", and gave me a lovely smile :) , I smiled back and said hello to him and that I hope he felt better after eating. His Mum then turned to me and in an almost apologetic way said " He's called J and he's Autistic", I then told her I also had an ASD son, and she asked me what school he attended, I told her and shesaid her son was at same school!!!! I mentioned El's class and her boy is his new classmate! Seems her little one only started this September and she and her boy are still finding their feet, so I mentioned some of the activities and support sessions we do there and she is going to give a go......My good deed for the day is done! :)

Felt better for that small conversation....really brightened my rubbish day!

Lisa xx

Well that's karma for you! :D

Sorry to hear about your ceiling/floor ( :blink: ), must have been really frightening :( .

Thank goodness you wern't in the room at the time. Hope you get it sorted soon - and fix the reason why it fell in in the first place. My friends little lad has a thing for water too - she frequently finds water features in all sorts of places! :huh:

What a start to the day................. hope you are feeling a bit better now you have eaten!!!!! Big glass of wine tonight when the kids are in bed!!!!!

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Thanks Sue, >:D<<'>

I have a mahoosive bottle of Baileys! :D

Also not cooking dinner, Hubby is getting a takeaway in cause of the drama today, the kitchen smells musty and damp!

Lisa xx

Glad you are feeling a bit better Lisa .... and that I raised a smile in your house (My humour sometimes backfires so tis HUGE relief when taken as meant) How lovely you met that little lad & his mum, every cloud etc....

Hope you get it all sorted soon xx

:o:o

As you said, it could have been worse: at least no one was hurt.

I trust things are slightly calmer now and your loo is still upstairs..

K x

Thanks Kathryn and Wilson >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Everything is calm again...for now! :rolleyes:

Kids are in bed, DD asleep, DS laughing very loudly and making various noise, DH sprawled on sofa watching telly whilst I am on the other with the lappy and a big baileys! :thumbs:

The repair job is being done on Saturday, I will take kids out while ceiling is being replaced!

Lisa xx :)