Sign in to follow this  
Stella63

NAS Surrey Conference 6th October

Hi

Just wondered if anyone is going to this conference on 6th October. The subject is ASD and related conditions. Iam very late booking for it as I thought I had booked it before the summer hols!! whoops!! Its at Guildford university. The link is www.mugsy.org/2007conference.

Stella x

I am going too! :dance:

I booked it ages ago and have just got the e-mail with direction and parking permit which is good or I would have forgotten it!!

Anyone else coming too?

Hi Kazzen and Nikki

That would be great! I hate going to these kind of things and not knowing anyone - thats where I know my kids get their aspergers from my side of the family!!! I tend to freeze and look as though I am really not interested in talking to people because I don't know how to start conversations with strangers but actually I do want to -- aagh do you know what I mean?

Should we have a code we can use to find each other!!!!????

stella x

They usually give you name labels, so perhaps we could draw a red star or something on them?

If it is the same hall as usual, then there is a long (wide) "corridor" that runs along the front of the hall - we could congregate at the far end of the corridor, at the opposite end to where you sign in.

A few years ago, I looked on the list and it said XXX was from the same town as me. I didn't know her, but I turned round and there she was, so we had a chat and became friends!

I haven't had the directions, etc yet.

I'll be there - :D

You definitely will be - I'm dragging you along no matter what! :thumbs:

Nikki.

Got the directions now.

They usually have books for sale. You get a chance to look at them before you buy, which is good.

I've PM'd you all my real name, because I've just realised you won't know who I am otherwise :lol:

See you there.

You definitely will be - I'm dragging you along no matter what! :thumbs:

Nikki.

She's promised me sparklies... :unsure: Will there be sparklies?? :unsure::rolleyes::lol:

Thanks Kazzen - i didn't realise books would be on sale - nearly as good as sparklies! :clap:

Sparklies And Books - almost makes it worthwhile giving up lying in on a saturday!!!! How are we going to meet up? Do we use the red stars or some sparkly sticker (my son has millions!!) my SENCO is coming as well - she is one of the good guys!!

Stella x

ooooooh! I didn't know there would be books to buy! :D That's me happy then, I can even get my retail therapy kick whilst I'm there.

Sparklies? What sparklies? Did I promise sparklies? Can I come sparklie shopping with you? :hypno:

Nikki.

Sparklies? What sparklies? Did I promise sparklies? Can I come sparklie shopping with you? :hypno:

Nikki.

You do realise i now expect a very very sparklie red star misses! :wacko::hypno::lol:

See you all on Saturday >:D<<'> :thumbs:

Ok - I'm going to have to raid OJ's sticker collection when he's at school tomorrow - gotta find the best red sparkly star EVER!!!!!

See you saturday

Stella x

Feel really guilty that I am not coming, especially as I live about 15 minutes away in the car ! As usual I am too late to get anything organised, sounds a very interesting conference and I am dissappointed I won't see you all with your sparkly badges.

Hope you enjoy the conference and I look forward to hearing all about it.

Clare x x x

AAAAAGGHHH!!!!

Have raided OJ's bedroom and NO stars at all!!! But I have found a red sparkly smiley face - what do you think?

Stella x

ps Am going on a well earned shopping expedition tomorrow so who knows what I will find!!

Hi Claire

Well, it was great to actually meet people from the forum, although Smiley and Nikki FORGOT their sparkly stickers and I had to share my smiley faces!!!!!

It certainly helped me feel more comfortable in that kind of environment being able to approach them, and thank you guys for being friendly and nice!! Then my SENCO kind of took me over and I didn't see them again.

The conference was interesting but like all these things it is impossible to go into any kind of depth in a short lecture. I was interested in the connection between Aspergers and Tourettes but it was touched on in virtually one sentence. The afternoon workshops were ok. The first one I did was on depression in teens and adults, touching on OCD and it really did just touch on it. The second one was on language and communication but more related to children that are non vocal, but the speaker was so inspiring it was a joy to just listen to her.

So, I'm glad I went and I think my SENCO picked up more to use in school ( great considering both my kids are now under her care ) but i am looking forward to doing my post graduate certificate in Aspergers as I think it will allow me to delve further into some of the problems our kids are experiencing at school - I start in November!!!!

Stella x

The conference wasn't as good as past ones, but it was great to meet smiley, nikki and stella

(I wondered where you disappeared to stella).

We found each other easily given that there were hundreds of people there.

I might see some of you at the NAS Basingstoke open evening on Wednesday.

Thanks Stella & Kaz,

For sharing your expereinces, don't feel quite so bad now about not making more of an effort to go, though would have loved to have meet you all.

The workshops on depression and OCD would have been very interesting as my son expereinces both on a regualr basis.

Clare x x x

You may find that the handouts are put on the Surrey NAS web-site , so keep checking.

She did talk a bit about the difference between asd obsessions and OCD obssesions, and said that the treatment for OCD will only work if the child buys into it (ie: recognises the obsessions as irrational and unhelpful - wanting to stop). As she pointed out, asd type obesessions usually serve a purpose to the child and they are therefore not likely to want to stop them.

Well, it was great to actually meet people from the forum, although Smiley and Nikki FORGOT their sparkly stickers and I had to share my smiley faces!!!!!

Stella x

It wern't me :whistle: Nikki was in charge of sparklie stars... :devil::whistle::lol:

It was great - morning lecture (Judith Gould) being the highlight for me. I was really pleased with how well i managed all the crowds and noise - although i still think that statue was freaky! *shudder*.

Great to meet Kazzen and Stella, they're both lovely :thumbs:

Hi Claire

It certainly helped me feel more comfortable in that kind of environment being able to approach them, and thank you guys for being friendly and nice!! Then my SENCO kind of took me over and I didn't see them again.

The conference was interesting but like all these things it is impossible to go into any kind of depth in a short lecture. I was interested in the connection between Aspergers and Tourettes but it was touched on in virtually one sentence. The afternoon workshops were ok. The first one I did was on depression in teens and adults, touching on OCD and it really did just touch on it. The second one was on language and communication but more related to children that are non vocal, but the speaker was so inspiring it was a joy to just listen to her.

So, I'm glad I went and I think my SENCO picked up more to use in school ( great considering both my kids are now under her care ) but i am looking forward to doing my post graduate certificate in Aspergers as I think it will allow me to delve further into some of the problems our kids are experiencing at school - I start in November!!!!

Stella x

Have a look here

http://www.hackwriters.com/Tourettes.htm

Hi all,

I haven't been to this forum for ages - life is just too busy for surfing at the moment. :crying:

Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed the conference, as I was the organiser. I just wanted to say that the handouts from the day are now on the NAS Surrey Branch website (www.mugsy.org).

All the best

Sara