Sign in to follow this  
llisa32

Should I be worried?

Hi,

I know none of us can diagnose over the forum but wanted to see whether others might be worried, or wether anyone else has had similar issues.

As most of you are aware J has had 'tummy aches' 'headaches' and 'feeling sick' fairly frequently the last couple of weeks, which we put down as anxiety about school. He's been hit and miss with food over the last two weeks as well..sometimes not much at all. others a little more

Now last night he did actually look and feel 'proper poorly' with a bit of a temp and seemed to be coming down with a viral lurgy/cold - he was the same this morning so I kept him at home.

Now since 5pm tonight he has literally been going for a wee every 20 mins!...I've actually been in there and investigated on the last 4 times cos I was starting to think he was tricking me. But...he is going, and just says 'his body keeps making him think he really really needs to go!'

So....at first I thought it was his knew fav thing to do....now I'm worried that he is ill and its not just a cold :(

Feel free to say if you think I may be panicking :)

You're mum and you know your son best - you know what's normal and what's different, what's a worry and what's just a phase, so I would go with your instinct.

Just one thought - is he drinking a lot more which could explain why he's going to the loo more? When I'm sick I take the 'drink lots of water' advice very literally.

Sorry, not much help :(

I would monitor him for the evening and check that he doesnt deterioate, obvously we are ensuring he has not got the signs for the virus that is Meningitis so just be very observational and any detrioation take straight to A+E state your worried it could be meningitis for assessment because flue like symptoms could be the very beginning of M, I dont want to further worry you but you cant be too reluctant to raising your concerns.

If this is the beginning of the FLue and maybe a cold just bed rest and lots of fluids to help hydrate him, the weeing needs to be monitored because he could becom dehydrated but at the same time it is the bodies way of getting rid of virusis.

Any further advice the NHSDIRECT LINE can offer a fuller assessment on the phone and advice you further. 0845 46 47

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Thanks guys, he's finally just gone to sleep..

Temperature not's so bad - only a weeny bit high at moment...it's been the going for a wee thing thats been bothering me - cos he said it smells as well ! (sorry any peeps who are munching)

He's drank enough today not to be dehydrated, but not enough to warrent that many loo trips - usually can drink a good pint or 2 and not need the loo for a few hours - huge bladder control normally.

I wondered if he just found it funny to keep saying he had to go?? - no idea :(.....

I shall check him overnight and see what the morning brings - if in doubt in the morning I'll run him to the weekend docs

If you were worried enough to mention it, it's obviously not normal for your son. IF NHS Direct can't put your mind at ease, it won't do any harm to take him to the doctor.

Hi llisa, like everyone else is saying if you are not sure seek medical advice, but the symptoms you are descibing are the exact symptons my son was displaying when experiencing very difficult times at school we had them all thoughroughly investigated he was admitted to hospital examined blood tests ultrasound scans and all proved to be nothing wrong we were told it was likeli this was all due to anxiety(psychological but what he was experiencing was very real) He is much better now but still often complains of these symptoms the most recent being the on the loo and drinking loads one and of course we always worry incase there is something physically wrong so generally give it a litle time and see how he goes but if no better or gets worse straight to the doctors, tust your instinct and well its best to be safe than sorryif unsure get him checked. Hope yourDS is feeling better soon. Mrs F x

Thanks Mrs F... >:D<<'> .My initial thought last night was that he'd got a little run down due to all the stressing lately - that plus the weathers gotten cold!

Interesting that stress can cause so much physical...always have it in mind for adults but never realised kiddies could go through so much. kinda yeuch isn't it ...

I'll see what he's like in the morning and then decide wether he needs docs or not...they are well used to seeing us with 'not a lot' and they never mind and like u say better safe than sorry.

Hi lisa - if he is weeing little and often and his urine is smelly and or it hurts 'burns' when he wees he may have a urine infection which would also make him feel lousy and give him a high temp. If this is the case he will need antibiotics asap to sort it out. Your GP should be able to diaagnose it quickly by testing a urine sample - so if you go take one with you if poss. Drinking lots of water and cranberry juice are good for urine infections but if you think thats what it is it should also really be treated medically to prevent long term damage.

Take care - Luv Witsend.

Hi Lisa

Its just a thought but worry makes my daughter constipated and this can lead to pressure on the bladder and she also gets headaches tummyaches and can be feverish if it is really bad. Smelly pee is usually something i would check out though, hope he is ok

Nicola

Hi all...thanks for all the replies and wishes >:D<<'>

Well...update is kiddy seems absolutely fine today!!

I wonder is he hadn't drunk as much as I thought he had , and had been sweating loads so perhaps the smell...and prob worn out from the last two weeks!

Least I didn't make it to the docs again :)....they should do some sort of airmiles points for those vists me thinks :)

He got up late for him...8am today, but said 'I'm okay with getting up 'late' today cos I know I have loads of time to play on a Saturday...and they I finally find the pattern of those school refusing days....

They've all been on the days when he's gotten up at 7am instead of his 'usual' 5.30 - 6am, and then woke up with the complete grumps cos he's not woken up at his 'usual' time...has anyone else noticed this sort of a pattern, or does your kiddy get so fixated about waking up at 'usual' times?

I keep trying to explain that sometimes your body needa a bit more rest when you've been busy etc...but so far he no care :)

Guest Lya of the Nox

sounded like a water infection

but kids can manifest the strangest of things when stressed

a thought have u considered asking him if the tummy ache is a" i cant go to/dont want" to go to school tummy ache, or a poorly one

i used this lots with meggzie way afore diag cos i could see that it was not all "real" illness

meggzie was off yest, growing, tired ect i think, i woke her up today, cos we were off out, she crawls under covers and groans,

says "it it a school day?" i say "no" and up she jumps!!!

>:D<<'>