oxgirl

It is fractured after all!

After forgetting about Jay's hurt arm and assuming all was well, got a letter this morning out of the blue from the consultant at A&E. She said the x-rays had just arrived on her desk and there was evidence of a fracture in his hand! :tearful: Said she'd tried to phone but they're not allowed to leave messages and we should take him straight down and get a cast put on. Rushed him there this morning and they put on a temporary cast and we've gotta go to the fracture clinic in a week or so to get a full cast and further advice, etc.

We were so shocked! The injury was over four weeks ago. They said originally that the schapoid fracture doesn't show up until ten days later, but even then they couldn't see anything so we thought it was fine.

Jay has coped well, to his credit, so far. Don't know how he'll cope as time goes on, though.

I had put my anger with the school behind me and moved on, but now I feel cross all over again, knowing that he was actually sitting there with a fractured hand for four hours in pain before they called me. Don't know what to say to them when I go in on Monday! :(

~ Mel ~

Guest Lya of the Nox

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

we had similar story with son when he fell off city wall :wallbash:

hope all goes well with real cast, and careful of temp one meggzie had it useless in a very short space of time

at consultant

me " she says it hurts lots"

consultant " well that is because it is not giving support cos it broke!"

:whistle:

good luck at schoool

xxx

Thanks Lya, it's such a palava, isn't it! :wacko:

His temporary cast is only half the way round his arm and soft on top, it's gotta last for ten days, hope it makes it! He's already whacked it on the door! :o

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel - I remember your original post about this, it stuck in my mind because I remember thinking I bet you'll be proved right and the injury will be more serious than they all thought! Hollow victory though when it's Jay that's suffered, I'd be cross all over again with the school too :wallbash: . Hopefully they will be quicker to take him seriously in future eh?

Take care - luv Witsend.

Thanks Witsend and Donna,

I was sure it was broken at first and, again, the second time when we had to go back ten days later for further x-rays. Then I ended up feeling like I'd over-reacted and it obviously was fine, and NOW I'm back to indignant fury that they didn't take his pain seriously. I was worried enough when I first saw him to rush him off to get medical advice, so how could they have not noticed. My original instincts were obviously right all along.

Talk about roller coaster!

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

~ Mel ~

Ouch - I am going through something similar.

Glad you got it sorted. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

My son banged his head and started to vomit an hour after bedtime, we contacted NHS 24 and they were brilliant,they phoned ahead for us and we were seen,but slowly, he vomiited most of the evning,eventually we went to a childrens ward for observation the staff were ok, at 3am in the morning he needed a x-ray, so he got a chair ride down to the x-ray department, he thought all this was a great adventure, he perked up when he spotted computers :whistle: we was very good at lying still, confident he would get a look at the computer,which he did, :rolleyes: for the lady to show him the picutre of his skull, we went back to the ward,where he was checked for observations,he also started to recover, there was distressed baby not far and my poor son listening to is stressed crying started giggling, its just becasue he didn,t know what to do with his feelings, anyway they moved us into the main ward, where he enjoyed the tv,s and recovered enough to be climbing on other kids beds to see what they were watching,the consulatant came around and aksed how he was and i explained he has ASD and his reply was, is this behaviour of being all over the palce was normal? :rolleyes: Which says to me that more should be done with the medical profession to be understanding of people/children with ASD and have different reactions to a neurotypical person. Now he thinks hospital is cool and will cure anything,which is worrying,because no matter how much you say be careful you will hurt yourself, he says if he hurts himself hospital,will make things better :unsure:

Edited by sesley

Poor Jay, he's been incredibly brave. I'd certainly tell the school that they have to call you immediately if anything happens again!

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> to you and Jay

Curra

Thanks everyone. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Woke up early this a.m. feeling all steamed up about school again. Don't want to feel like this, just when things were settling down. Maybe I'll just tactfully ask them tomorrow if he should hurt himself again in future can they call me straight away and leave it at that. :(

Sesley, glad your lad is okay and that he enjoyed his adventure in hospital.

~ Mel ~

A similar thing happened with my 9 year old daughter. She was doing handstands in school and complained about her arm, they left it for a bit then when she complained again they put some ice on it. I was eventually phoned and I took her to A&E. She had a fractured wrist :wallbash:

Hope your lad is on the mend now he has the plaster on >:D<<'>