Sign in to follow this  
di30

DLA & council tax discounts/CTC

Hi again everyone, :thumbs:

Just a bit of info please if anyone can advise me, and thank you in advance.

My son 12 was awarded low mobility rate and the lowest rate Care component as from last week but backdated to 22 DEC 2006, was disappointed with the Care rate as I constantly give my attention and care day and night due to his ongoing issues, where this low care rate has awarded for just the portion of the day.

Anyway, I cannot return to work as my time is with him around school and the school are guaranteed to contact me a few times a week due to his anxieties, and of course he will not stay with anyone else.

My older son is a university student, comes home every day, he will be 19 this November and my hubby is the only earner in our household, and works silly shifts.

I was hoping to apply for Carer's Allowance and on that care rate I am unable to do this which is quite disappointed due to my above circumstances.

Please could anyone advise me if we would be entitled to any Council tax discount now my son has been awarded DLA and also anything further in Child tax credits, my hubby earns only just over the limit for working tax, as his earnings have also dropped too due to less demand at work ?

We have a mortgage so we know we would have no help with housing benefit, so any info regarding benefit entitlements will be a great help.

We did not receive nothing in child tax credits last year, due to overpayments the year before, that we tried to inform inland revenue about even in writing, then when they did start paying it again, it was approx March this year at about �35 a week that was to cover for both Daniel and my older son Jamie as he was then in the sixth form.

Now they had reduced it again a few weeks back to �7 a week this is because Jamie has gone to university and they do not pay out for this as its classed as more than further education, and they again are taking overpayments, which we thought they had done this by not giving us a penny the full year before.

We had nothing through the post telling us about this.

And of course Child benefit is only paid out for Daniel now.

Any help of any entitlements info & advice, and if any are they backdated ?

(Jamie is being funded with a student loan for university).

Thank you.

Di x :thumbs:

Hi di30 >:D<<'>

I am not 100% on this but it was the CTC that told me, so it must be right......but CTC is increased to a higher amount only if child being awarded DLA is awarded at the HIGHER rate of CARE component. As you will know we are just a few weeks off from finding out what decision has been made with regard to my DS as we are having a Reconsideration review done. El was awarded Middle rate care and low mobility but like yourself I am up to the wee hours every night and during the night also, so we are fighting the decision with much support from El's consulatnt. We had a decrease in CTC a month back and they said at the time when I called them with our tax details that they were aware of El's DLA award and to call back if we were successful in recieving high rate, I asked what did they mean and was told about the increase on HRC award.

Lisa xx

Di,

I believe you have to have higher rate care component to be eligable for Carers allowance and are allowed to earn up to �87 net a week. As for other benefit the only way I found myself around it was to ask, most locally councils have a website where you can put in your financial details and it calculates what benefit you are entitled to. The DWP also has a simular calculator for other benefits.

Clare x

Hi Lisa and many thanks. :thumbs:

Its very annoying isn't it though when you know you are entitled to higher awards and then not given them which also prevents other help you should be entitled to ? :tearful:

As you will probably know ours went to a tribunal hearing and I also know you can only appeal on the tribunals decisions due to an error of the law and so, but not exactly the decision as such, unless something is noticed as missed, where then another hearing will be arranged, and this can also take up to a year ! :angry:

It had taken almost 10 months for this one. :rolleyes:

I do hope you get more luck with the reconsideration..........the very best of luck to you Lisa, I wish you well and hope you get what your entitled to. :thumbs:

Please let me know and thanks again for your reply.

Luv Di

xxx :)

I'm also quite confused regarding Child Tax credits :blink:

The Child Tax credits came through the other day, i was awarded the baby element for having a child under the age of one, an award for having a child aged between 1-16 years of age, they have also awarded the disabilty one even though i told them that i have applied to the DLA but waiting for a answer, i'm wondering what rate they are paying for the disabilty, i'm getting paid �140 every week on a Monday

Anyone who can work out what kind of disabilty rate the CTC are paying me, i'd be most grateful x

Thank you to Clare63 too :thumbs: .

Will check out some info on the council website, and go from there and see whats what with that too.

Many thanks. :)

Di. xxx

From this:

The Disabled Child Premium

If you are responsible for a child under 19, or in certain circumstances under 20, you will get this premium if either:

the dependant is getting Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

the dependant is registered blind

The Enhanced Disability Premium (child rate)

If the dependant gets the highest-rate care component of DLA, you may get the enhanced disabled child premium.

You do not get either premium if the dependent child has capital of more than �3,000.

It sounds like you might get the disabled child premium added to your CTC entitlement.

www.entitledto.co.uk/

is excellent at telling what benefits you are due.

Hi Caroline,

Hmm thats interesting and good news. :thumbs:

Not sure how this is worked out, but I may check this out online on 'do I qualify' ?

I had just remembered about this site........so maybe worth you checking on here too.

Cannot remember the direct website, so will go onto 'google serach engine' then write in Child tax credits, do I qualify.

Good luck hon and thanks.

Di xxx :)

di30,

You're welcome, and thank you! >:D<<'>

I just wish you hadn't been treated so unfairly, it's not right....makes me so angry :wallbash:

If only the 'decision makers' could spend an hour in your shoes they would see a true reflection.....

How long does the award your son has been given run for?

Lisa xx

p.s Caroline, sorry I am not that bright to work out the benefits system! Maybe, try their website?!

Brilliant, thank you Karen. :thumbs:

Daniel is 12, and we first applied for his DLA in DEC 2006 which this is being backdated from, so do you know if the CTC disability premium would be backdated from that date or not ?

Cheers.

Unfortunately I was receiving CTC for my older son Jamie only up until August then it was knocked down again for just Daniel.

Even though I had informed them he was going to university and will not be 19 until this November, they said they do not count him in anymore.

Only if this was further education in college.

Will check out that link too.........thank you very much.

Hi Lisa and thanks for getting back to me. :thumbs:

Yes the hearing was a total nightmare and I am going to check this out when we receive the SOR (Statement of reasons) that is going to be sent as requested from the tribunal chairwoman.

We have a good mind to complain too about that doctor, he was still muttering and practically denying us when we were leaving !

It was so humiliating. :wallbash:

Daniel's award will run until a day before his 16th birthday in Jan 2011.

Funny enough I said to my hubby perhaps we should invite them especially that Dr at the hearing to stay for the night, perhaps he could have babysat lol.........hmm he wouldn't last long, not unless he is willing to still be awake until 4 am lol :lol: .

Will keep you posted of this okay and thanks again.

Take care

Di.xxx :)

>>we first applied for his DLA in DEC 2006 which this is being backdated from, so do you know if the CTC disability premium would be backdated from that date or not ?

Not sure. Tax Credits work on your income last year, but not sure about the disability premiums (I would guess not). Call and ask them.

Hi Caroline,

Hmm thats interesting and good news. :thumbs:

Not sure how this is worked out, but I may check this out online on 'do I qualify' ?

I had just remembered about this site........so maybe worth you checking on here too.

Cannot remember the direct website, so will go onto 'google serach engine' then write in Child tax credits, do I qualify.

Good luck hon and thanks.

Hiya Di, good luck with sorting your stuff out, trying to sort it all out is a real pain i know but you'll get there in the end & it will be worth it

Best of luck, & i'm sorry if i bombarded your thread with my question before :oops: xx

Thank you all for your helpful information & advice,

Will make some phone calls tomorrow.

Cheers.

Di xxx :thumbs:

No problem, di! This is teatime for me! :crying::lol:

I agree, you should definately be doing something to fight this, and it sounds as though that doctor was a right prat!

I will post the GOOD or BAD news as soon as I get a reply! :(:)

Lisa xx

From this:

The Disabled Child Premium

If you are responsible for a child under 19, or in certain circumstances under 20, you will get this premium if either:

the dependant is getting Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

the dependant is registered blind

The Enhanced Disability Premium (child rate)

If the dependant gets the highest-rate care component of DLA, you may get the enhanced disabled child premium.

You do not get either premium if the dependent child has capital of more than �3,000.

It sounds like you might get the disabled child premium added to your CTC entitlement.

www.entitledto.co.uk/

is excellent at telling what benefits you are due.

Thanks for the website addy Kazzen, i'm off for a butchers :thumbs: