Sign in to follow this  
Karen A

Advice welcome please removal of class TA

I hope that some of you will be able to offer some wisdom.....or perhaps this scheme is original.

Ben's TA left on Wed.Until this week there were two TAs in Ben's class,a class TA and a seperate TA funded by Ben's statement.The HT explained that the class TA would now be supporting Ben.She said that the TA from the class next door would cover if needed.

I was a bit slow off the mark although I did think it a little odd that no new class TA had been mentioned.

It transpires that the TA from the class next door is covering a couple of morning per week however for the rest of the time no TA cover is provided for the class.

I challenged the HT today but she appears to be saying that as Ben has a TA I have not got a cause for complaint.

I do not believe that the TA will not just be used for everyithing.Also the situation where if Ben needs to take time out a TA is summoned from another class is hardly adequate.

If anyone knows whether we have any way of challenging this devious individual advice would be very welcome. :wallbash::wallbash: Karen.

Thanks Annie.The problem is that the HT is saying Ben is getting the support he should be getting -because a TA has been allocated to him.But his class effectively only have a TA for 2 mornings a week.Hence the provision for the class has been cut right back.There is minimal learning support fot other children who have IEPS and no provision for the other classroom assistant activities.

I know it does not impact Ben directly.However I simply do not believe that in practice his TA will not be used for anything and everything.It may be that the HT has covered herself so that there is little we can do other than checking every day what his TA has been doing. :wallbash::wallbash:

I am just sick to death of always having to keep an eye on things.People can really talk the talk when they want to.Karen.

Thanks Annie.The problem is that the HT is saying Ben is getting the support he should be getting -because a TA has been allocated to him.But his class effectively only have a TA for 2 mornings a week.Hence the provision for the class has been cut right back.There is minimal learning support fot other children who have IEPS and no provision for the other classroom assistant activities.

I know it does not impact Ben directly.However I simply do not believe that in practice his TA will not be used for anything and everything.It may be that the HT has covered herself so that there is little we can do other than checking every day what his TA has been doing. :wallbash::wallbash:

I am just sick to death of always having to keep an eye on things.People can really talk the talk when they want to.Karen.

Undoubtedly you are right. Unfortunately the HTs position is legally defensible, and you have to keep an eye on things. You could (I suppose) write a letter outlining your concerns, asking how the HT will meet the needs of the other pupils without accessing Ben's support, and reminding HT that it is a legal requirement, might be useful later, but you'll get the same answer back (99% probability a lie)

i think the idea of a letter is a good one especially if it is copied for the sen governor. Ultimatley it is the governing bodies responsibility to ensure the school is fulfilling its obligations under the DDa you could mention the disability equality duty all schools have to adhere to and query how this is being fulfilled when provison is being slashed?

I know what you mean Karen :( . As if the stress and fight to get the provision in the first place isn't enough, we have to make sure everything is done as it's supposed to :ph34r: .

I agree with Paulr, so it may be best to just keep an eye on things for the moment. As soon as you know that Ben's support is being reduced on a regular basis, it would surely give you definate grounds to complain.

Annie

xx

Unfortunately the school are under no obligation to have a class TA if they don't want to. I agree that they're probably thinking they'll use Ben's support for the whole class.

We've had trouble with this in the past where they've put my son in the lower ability group so they can make use of his LSA when in reality he should have been in a much higher group. I have twins who were in the same class so it was a bit easier to challenge the grouping, ds was getting higher NC grades than his twin sister but she was in a higher group!! It carried on in secondary but again, in the end they had to put him in top set because it became a bit ridiculous, even a few of his teachers spoke out and stated outright on his end of year report that he was in the wrong class for his ability! On parents day I was chatting with one of his friends mums and found out my son was achieving higher levels than her son who was a whole 4 sets above my son!!!!!

It all comes down to money!

HI Karen

we are having a similar problem and there seems to be no easy answer. I think the schools do lie about it but we have no proof. If I get anywhere at our end I will let you know!

Elaine

Thankyou all for your helpful and well informed support.I am so pleased that people here are so quick to provide info.

I spoke to the LEA rep this afternoon who confirmed that there is no legal obligation for Head Teachers to employ a classroom assistant/Class TA unless the number of pupils exceed a certain number.Hence although some schools use their budget to employ support staff in a bid to improve levels in numeracy and literacy it is a matter of choice re how budgets are used.

We shall just have to keep an eagle eye on how Ben's support is used.Karen.

All schools have budgets a copy of which is kept in the up to date school prospectus - take a look at yours it will help you see how much money the school actually has and should be being spent on sen etc