Sign in to follow this  
barefoot wend

daily telegraph

Hi all

I've just read an article in the Daily Telegraph about 'CLASSROOM CHAOS'

It starts on about how ruth Kelly is going to be tough on indiscipline in the classroom and pursue a zero-tolerance approach to misbehaviour.

I was already thinking that this goes against the government's policy of inclusion when I suddenly read teacher's comments taken from the TES website which go on to complain specifically about AS children.

I'm disgusted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have e-mailed the editor to complain. They certainly wouldn't highlight an article such as this with ethnic minorities as they would, rightly, be termed racist, so what gives them the right to do so with AS children?

Barefoot

Edited by barefoot wend

It is a very big concern. Both main political parties, are preoccupied with the 'freedom' of schools to exclude children and thus 'protect' everyone else at the school.

The flaw in this argument is that the problems are often caused by inappropriate actions by the schools concerned who do not understand ASD's. All the school will need to do in future is exclude the child and side-step the problem.

This is made doubly worrying by the Government being so convinced that mainstreaming children with special needs is a roaring sucess that they feel empowered to reduce special school provision. I think it will lead to many children with special needs dropping out of the education system entirely.

Simon

Hi,

There was an article about it in the Mirror too. I was shocked! It says that by 2007, all schools will have to take on a mumber of "problem" children.

This is disrimination.

I will definately write to the editor of the Mirror (i don't usually read papers but picked one up at the shop today for some reason!).

Loulou x

Ps what is the TES website?

Hi Nellie,

I just read the Telegraph article, which had more info than the Mirror.

I printed it off and Kai has just scribbled all over Ruth Kelly's face with black pen!

:lol::lol: Good boy!

Loulou x

Nellie

This site doesn't print the whole article.. it goes on to quote teachers :

"One day last week a seven year old in my class who has AS 'kicked off' non-stop from about 9.20 to 3.50 - biting, punching, scratching, spitting, hissing, growling, screaming, throwing, running at walls, trying to break glass in the door, etc. She's been excluded from two other schools, and her parents were not even asked to come and collect her. This week she's back in school. Can anyone explain that?

"Can anyone offer suggestions on how to deal with the bizarre behavioour of a 12-yr old with severe AS.? He gets very angry very quickly and keeps shouting 'boring' and throwing things. He can't interact with the other pupils. I'm a newly qualified teacher and could use a little help."

"Do a little research on AS"

"I disagree. I wouldn't research anything to do with extreme special needs. I've never been trained for them. If we put up with this, inclusion will be here to stay."

This is supposed to be balanced reporting on the lack of discipline in schools.

It seems obvious that the first children to be excluded will most likely be those who have been forced into mainstream by the government's desire for inclusion.

Barefoot

Hi barefoot wend.This whole inclusion thing really bugs me sometimes.My son in particular likes to be on his own in a quiet place no noise visual distractions, smells people looking at him computers buzzing, lights flickering etc etc.But inclusion is the way to go.He does no work at all in the classroom does,nt even write the date.So we request a statement.He needs somewhere quiet I say, can he do his numeracy and literacy in the library with learning support.Oh no say the lea he must be included in the classroom, were all for inclusion now.It seems to me that seclusion=inclusion=exclusion! :wallbash:

I think parents would prefer to have a choice about whether their child goes to a mainstream school or a special school. My own son is thriving in mainstream. It's just as well though because we wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting a place in a special school. :angry:

I have no problem with appropriate inclusion, it' the best solution for many children.

What winds me up is the curent policy where it seems to be decided in advance that inclusion in mainstream is the way to go, before considering the child's individual needs.

Simon

What we have to do is to make teachers understand that our children are not badly behaved they are autistic!

I give up where this government is concerned as they appear to have no understanding and make statements in the papers about schools taking problems kids. The only problem that our kids have is them! Inclusion was their idea after all. BUT I think they expected to have normalised all of the kids in mainstream by now :o

There was also another article in the Guardiam yesterday about home education. While other home edders felt it was excellent I personally cringed.

Carole

Edited by carole