Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

Connors scores - ADHD

I've had to fill in a Connors form for DS3 for the paediatrician, and am anxious to know what the result is!! Has anyone any experience in what the scores mean?

BAsically, my form gives him a score of low to mid 70s as a five-year-old, and the school form gives him a score of low to mid 60s, with 82 on the oppositional section, although school was not able to answer four of the questions eg poor in arithmetic, cos he's only just started in Reception.

chances are the paediatrician will take ages to get back to me and I just want to know. :unsure: Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Lizzie xx >:D<<'>

Hi I know that Js conners did differ to schools as some teachers do not really understand the reverlance of the questions, and not many are really totally understanding of the actual symptoms of ADHD, that been inattention, destracted, doesnt listen, limited concentration of non interest topics, the reason the conners include Oppositional is because a undiagnosed child with ADHD will show high levels of ODD so the fact the school are recognising the Oppositional is a sign that they are recognising the negative behaviours in your son rather than the symptoms of ADHD, a real commin accurance with teachers and ADHD undiagnosed boys.

Here is a little bit about the actual process of a conners rating scores, if you google in conners rating scales as well.

http://www.minddisorders.com/Br-Del/Conner...es-Revised.html

I cant remember his exact scores he is considered severe ODD with Moderate ADHD, but he is also untreated and now considered severe ADHD and they want to medicate.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Hi Lizzie,

My son had an appointment with the CAMHS team today (was diagnosed with ADHD in 2001 by the paed) they gave me a conners score form to take home & fill in today & are going to send one to his school - gawd knows why, since he was diagnosed years ago :unsure: he is also showing a lot more signs of AS now so perhaps this is why they are doing it, they told me to take him off his medication for a while so they can see by the form exactly how things affect him on a day to day basis, which isn't a problem for him as his meds aren't quite right for him at the moment.

>:D<<'> thank you for your replies.

Jsmum, that is sooooooooooo interesting, especially the bit about school seeing him as oppositional. We have a consultation eve next week so that might be interesting. Ds3's school is quite switched on, unlike DS1's and DS2's, so we might get somewhere with him!

I aware, however, that the Connors is just a useful tool and isn't the only thing that should be used for dx; are there other tests that can be used?

Cheers,

Lizzie xx :notworthy:

they also use connors scale to see whether child has attention deficit without the hyperactvity bit.. my ds was referred to CAMHS for adhd but has turned out that he has AS and ADD.

we had to fill out lots of connors checklists and so did the teacher..but she only actually managed to get one done..she forgot the rest.. and now we have to do it all over again.. the checklists on medication and off medication...school :wallbash:

It's also worth getting them to break down the scores. My DS is now scoring in the 'average' for his age, but when they broke down the scores, while he is not hyperactive, his inattention is in the 95th percentile - improved though, 3 months ago it was 98th percentile. If they only took the average score, he would have been discharged

>:D<<'> thank you for your replies.

Jsmum, that is sooooooooooo interesting, especially the bit about school seeing him as oppositional. We have a consultation eve next week so that might be interesting. Ds3's school is quite switched on, unlike DS1's and DS2's, so we might get somewhere with him!

I aware, however, that the Connors is just a useful tool and isn't the only thing that should be used for dx; are there other tests that can be used?

Cheers,

Lizzie xx :notworthy:

J did a computer analysis, its a game to look at alertness and concentration, this also showed J was ADHD, but what was mainly contributed was a full observation in a PRU for 6 months, they also picked up his Dyslexia but that was never diagnosed in LEA, it is now throw the private sector.

You could get school to video him in a classroom enviroment, not all ADD/ADHD signs are totally obvous so this may be good to look into, also a break down of how the teacher teaches your son, does your son understand the tasks, does he look and listen, is he fidgeting, squirming in his chair, makes verbal noises, scratches, brushes face, he is elsewhere in listening and working tasks, how does he get the teachers attention? I know that ADDISS could help you further with helping school look for the symptoms of ADHD and not just the naughty kid of the class, or doesnt listen, doesnt want to work kind of comments.

There is heaps the teacher can do too that will enhance your son learn if he has ADHD too, again these are readily available in ADHD and EDUCATION if you google it.

What will cause ADHD to become worse though is when a Teacher has the attitude that the kid is just naughty, and they dont really think ADHD exsists or they are experienced enough to give an opinion that your child cant possibly have ADHD because he isnt recking the classroom or a kid totally out of control at school, its like ASD some kids contain it with in themselves or there impulsive behaviours gets mistaken for defiant and naughty behaviour.

JsMum

My son had one conners and the parental view conflicted with the school,,,, We seen the ADHD, the school didnt,,,,As a result of these discreptancies we were referred to the phsychaitric services ..Conners reports and results come with a price tag.ADHD cost money ,,,does the price of support and provision rely on such cheap and loose diagnostic tools..Always be cautious and keep everything in writting....Conners results suggest weather your child has ADHD or not ....But you would be the best judge of that,,,, not a price tag,,,,their hard to fill out and unrelyable,,, dont be scared of them,,, just be aware they are a loose and cheap diagnostic tool ...xoxoxoxolove Shars

My son had one conners and the parental view conflicted with the school,,,, We seen the ADHD, the school didnt,,,,As a result of these discreptancies we were referred to the phsychaitric services ..Conners reports and results come with a price tag.ADHD cost money ,,,does the price of support and provision rely on such cheap and loose diagnostic tools..Always be cautious and keep everything in writting....Conners results suggest weather your child has ADHD or not ....But you would be the best judge of that,,,, not a price tag,,,,their hard to fill out and unrelyable,,, dont be scared of them,,, just be aware they are a loose and cheap diagnostic tool ...xoxoxoxolove Shars

I dont blame the Conners rating scales, I blame the lack awareness of ADHD in schools and old style Teachers, In a classroom the Teacher can helps loads for a child with ADD/ADHD but they havent got the time, they have 30 other kids to teach.

ADDISS can give you further support reguarding Educational Attitudes and how a teacher may need to really monitor your child in the classroom.

Also ADHD with ASD will be very difficult to know which is which.

JsMum