Sign in to follow this  
mum22boys

How did you feel prior to assessment?

Hi,

My eldest, M age 7 was diagnosed ASD in April. We had spent almost two years waiting for assessment so by the time he was approaching 7 and we had plenty of time reflecting on the behaviours that we were 100% certain he was going to recieve a diagnosis. Which he obviously did.

Seven months later and we have just found out our youngest son will have his assessment next month. I am panicing so much. I am so worried whether he will recieve a daignosis or not. So I am worrying that if they diagnose him also I may think years down the line that he shouldn't have been diagnosed IYKWIM. Then I worry if he doesn't get a diagnosis and he has ASD!!! Deep down both me and hubby think he does have it also.He is very different from M but the behaviours are there and he has a speech problem as well. I suppose my concern lies with what Nursery will say because they aren't really 'with it' and see no problems (they didn't with M and it was staring them in the face) so I know they will say there is no problem. I have them all at home!!! The week before the assessment he is going to be watched in class by the SALT for the CDAC.

Obviously i've been through one assessment this year so know what questions will be asked on the day and I know parents views are taken into account more than the schools.

How was it for the rest of you in the run up to assessment? did you worry about everything like me?

Thanks in advance!

mum22boys

Hi

Totally emphasise. I was all over the place for months. I recall very vividly the day (last May) I was told that my son did have an ASD. I sobbed uncontrollably. Poor consultant was giving me tissues and apologising! When I was finally able to splutter out a few words, I told her that I was crying out of sheer relief. I was petrified were weren't going to get a diagnosis and be no further forward. The timescale between R being given an ADOS (prior to that he'd had lots of other assessments) and being given the results (diagnosis) was ten days. It was sheer hell. I was a wreck and couldn't concentrate on anything. Afterwards I phoned my family and felt elated/euphoric almost. It wasn't until that evening that I felt a real low and sadness. Ever since it's been a bit of a rollercoaster, but I've accepted that R is who he is and the diagnosis has undoubtedly helped me in particular move on and deal with how things are.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

i blubbed too out of relive the school had made me out to be a crazy mother (ok there still doing it) but someone actually telling me what i knew was wrong was soooooooooooooo good

i was stressed before hand that the school would try and get in on it mainly but it went so smoothly it was just the waiting. Iwas told in the jan he had asd and the official report didnt come out till the april and i couldnt use his asd against the school in that time arghhhh

>:D<<'> to you hun we all know how you feel

Edited by rach04

Yes I worried about both, and was relieved to discover DS1 had AS. My DS2 had his own problems which were speech, eye control and very quiet not the same as DS1. But I went to both appointments hoping for answers. DS2 did not receive a diagnoses. At times I watch him playing and wonder! But he seems to be coping and has great social skills, his speech came and this was when i discovered the work I'd done had filtered through he never just said, words, he started with sentences. His glasses helped his eyes and his co-ordination is getting better all the time. We left the appointment with DS2 with a direct telephone number to him in case I felt that things where not improving, and that he would get help if problems began when he started school.

Its very stressful. Good Luck!

We are currently going through assessments with DS1 who is 5. We had his first paed appt in August and had meeting with the Ed Phsych at school this morning. I feel quite the nervous wreck to be perfectly honest. Deep in my heart I know that my son has Aspergers but noone will (obviously) confirm this and I find my life is dominated by reading up on it, trawling the net for more clues, etc. I can't really talk to my friends as they don't really see the true side of my son so I just don't feel that anyone really "believes" me and feel like a neurotic parent most of the time (even though I'm not iyswim!).

If DS1 is diagnosed with Aspergers/HFA it will be an enormous relief, SO much will make sense. If, on the other hand, they say he does not have an ASD I might find that very difficult to accept as I KNOW there is "something".

I know I'm not really explaining myself very well, I feel in turmoil today after the Ed Phsych meeting. I just don't feel like anyone is really listening to me :(

Good luck hun xxx

Know exactly how you feel! Our dd1 was dx'd just over a year ago and we are now going through it all again with ds1. We've just had our SALT woman in to school and she's already talking in terms of his social and communication difficulties so we know the dx is on the cards. I had been absolutely fine going through the process until after I'd spoken to her and that night it really hit me :crying:

I have known for a while that he has AS too and we just get on with it but now and again something small will come up and bite me. The thought of him not getting the dx terrifies me as then we really will be stuck. We ( well school) applied for a statement before the summer and were turned down and so we are currently collecting more evidence and need this dx.

I will just be really pleased when it's all over and for us it's not that long, final meeting 23rd Nov.

Take it easy, it really is a funny time!

I think you must be honest.I did this, so can appreciate were your coming from. You know best ,,if you see very obivious traits then make sure you point them out.I think you need to accept the genetic link. You know what your child needs ,,,good luck Sharsxoxoxoxo