Sign in to follow this  
Eva

class teacher has noticed something!

Hi all,

would like a bit of advice, again!

There's one sentence in my son's report, (he's 6, AS and in first year at a mainstream school), that I don't know how to respond to, (we have a student support group meeting soon).

The teacher wrote under a section called Areas for improvement that: 'J needs to develop comprehension skills such as sequencing, predicting and making inferences'. (Then she comments on his fine motor skills, etc.). (The speech therapist said that she told the teacher about sequencing etc., when she was in the classroom awhile ago).

What would other people say to a teacher who wrote that, but refuses to provide visual support - such as written instructions - for their child?

Eva

Well, this teacher would say to that teacher...

Inferential questions pose extreme challenges for most children with AS, so this may not be an appropriate target at this stage of his school career.

If he is to develop prediction skills, she should begin with non-fiction, based in a familiar setting so that he can begin to understand what prediction is, before leaping wildly into fiction with unpredictable human or talking animal behaviour. Let him work with images and practical apparatus that he is confident with.

If he is to develop sequencing, he may need written instructions to carry out a sequence of tasks or activities. Pictorial instructions may be more effective. He may need individual materials that he can manipulate in front of him, sequencing cards etc.

I would also question her reasons for refusing to provide visual support...especially if it appears that she just can't be *rsed.

Go and EDUCATE her! :star::angry:

Edited by Bard

I would tell her that it is part of his disability, and just as she would make adaptations to enable a eg: deaf, blind or physically disabled child to access the curriculum, so she should make adaptations for your son.

If she is still reluctant, ask her how she intends to help him learn these things.

Well, this teacher would say to that teacher...

Inferential questions pose extreme challenges for most children with AS, so this may not be an appropriate target at this stage of his school career.

If he is to develop prediction skills, she should begin with non-fiction, based in a familiar setting so that he can begin to understand what prediction is, before leaping wildly into fiction with unpredictable human or talking animal behaviour. Let him work with images and practical apparatus that he is confident with.

If he is to develop sequencing, he may need written instructions to carry out a sequence of tasks or activities. Pictorial instructions may be more effective. He may need individual materials that he can manipulate in front of him, sequencing cards etc.

I would also question her reasons for refusing to provide visual support...especially if it appears that she just can't be *rsed.

Go and EDUCATE her! :star::angry:

:clap: :clap: Great answer. Can't think of anything to add. Sorry if I've missed this but why is she reluctant to use visual supports? It is likely to actually make her life easier as she wouldn't have to keep telling him what to do.

Now Bard, if you have any of that :star: left in you there's a certain witch who needs a little torture - it's working, slowly, but being an impatient Mumble, any catalyst would be good.

Thanks so much Bard and Kazzen!! It's so frustrating dealing with this woman.

Bard that's great info you've given me - I'm going to use that, and Kazzen, yes, I'll point out that it is part of his disability and she needs to make adaptions.

Mumble, I asked her ages ago if she could write down stuff for my son, (he's a fantastic reader), just something like: 1) answer questions 1-4 2) show me when you have finished.

The teacher said that she refuses to do that as it's too much work.

I'm going to go her - nicely - (and the principal) at the SSM meeting. I've stacked it with the OT, an advocate, the speechie and written docs from our paed - they're all on my son's side but this woman is ...can't think of a word which would best describe her...at best she is hopeless, at worst she is useless :wallbash: .

Eva

there's a certain witch who needs a little torture - it's working, slowly, but being an impatient Mumble, any catalyst would be good.

Torture should be slooooowwww! Very able minds have spent centuries devising ways of making it last longer. Don't be impatient, savour every last delicious moment.

Was it the Mafia who created the saying "Revenge is a dish best eaten cold' ?