CEJesson

University

Heya everyone,

Firstly apologies for not writing sooner about Uni, not really an excuse for that so I wont warble on with some petty reason!

I posted a good while back to say I got into University of Sheffield to read Town Planning.

Uni is going much better than expected, and Ive never felt so relaxed in my whole life. Thats not to say being at home was bad, but somehow everything has fit into place. Nearly.

My disability support began in the first week (freshers week) - I started with up to 3hrs per day for the first 2 weeks and now I am on 3hrs per week. So far it has been really valuable.

It is certainly making a lot of difference especially regarding my organisation problems. The lady is a really easy person to talk to and knows her stuff, and I meet her at the disability support service each time.

I have joined some societies, firstly at �5 a year the walking club was too good to miss, and since then I have done 1 x 10mile walk and 1 x 7mile walk. Next weekend im off to the Lake District with the club which sounds fantastic. They are aware of my condition and made a brief discussion about it on my first walk, however my support worker is not needed to assist me on these occasions, but I can contact her in appropriate hours most days.

I have also done ten-pin bowling, and this monday I will do archery, on the uni's give it a go scheme. This is where you pay a nominal fee to try something out, and if you like it you can subscribe to the club. If not you just pull out. Im not doing bowling again, purely because its too expensive.

Im also interested in the sunday papers and town planning societies but the former clashes with walking somewhat.

Thankfully after messing up my accommodation contract, by invalidating myself out of the guarantee, I managed to get an ensuite room in halls of residence, which to be honest wasnt my top choice. Despite 35 on our corridor though the noise is minimal and we have gelled together well. The only annoying thing (and sometimes frightening thing) is the persistence of the fire alarm going off at 4-5am! It really is scary as it goes off in your room as well as the corridor. Since then I now persist in wearing earplugs, having the bathroom light on and keeping the curtains open at night. I have let my disability support worker know of this on multiple occasions and she enquired about the fire alarm problems last week.

The course is very engaging and its only the odd dry lecturer that is causing the odd note taking problem. A dictaphone is on standby as part of my DSA but im not selecting to have it yet. Note taking is going well but some more precise and complex sentences are hard to both understand and write down quickly.

Nights out wise, Ive restricted myself to the halls bar quite a lot, but have been to the student union lots in the day, and once at night time to a club night - extremely loud and felt out of place at first, but it ended out enjoyable. Tried out the pub crawl but wasnt bowled over by it.

Chris

Hi Chris -

Thanks for the update :D

Great to hear things are going so well, and that you're enjoying the course and the social opportunities.

Catch 22 with that dictaphone - I can understand completely why you would want to do without it if you can, but don't let your determination to do that get in the way when it can be useful!

Don't worry about the gaps between posts - it sounds like you've got more interesting things going on - but the occassional catch up is greatly appreciated.

Have a pint for me in the bar - Guinness if they have it :cheers:

Very best with it

L&P

BD :D

So, so glad you are having a brilliant time :thumbs:

My DS is planning to go to uni when he has finished his National Diploma (he'll be 20 by then...how did I get so ancient!! :o:lol: )

Hope everything carries on so well.

Bid :)

Chris,

Thanks for the up date, its sounds as if things are going really well (apart from the fire bell, which I think must be very unnerving for most people, hope they get that sorted soon).

Well done for joining up for other activities and for hanging out in the student halls bar (far cheaper I am sure than anywhere else, so smart move there), at least you are trying things, guess things will eventually settle and you'll find the things you enjoy most and are within your budget and will stick with them.

I am very encouraged by your post as my son is hoping one day to go to Uni.

Take care and continue to have fun !

Clare x x x

I'm glad it's going well Chris. I hope you can get the hang of note-taking soon, well it sounds like you're nearly there already.

Hi Chris

Thanks for taking the time to tell us how it's going, especially with so much to occupy your time.

Hope the fire alarm situation gets sorted out, you surely can't be the only person who is bothered by this! Maybe some students are setting it off as a joke? :wacko: It's the kind of thing that would have been thought wildly funny by certain elements of the student population when I was at university. :wacko:

K x

Great news Chris :thumbs:

Glad your settling down, that's fantastic news ! :D

Take care, keep us posted. >:D<<'>

Di. xxx

Hi Chris.I just noticed your post this morning and felt old all of a sudden. :lol::lol:

I met my OH when he was at Uni in Sheffield and he also lived in a Hall of Residence.

We celebrate our 20TH Wedding Aniversary next year...so you will have an idea of how long ago it was.

All I can say is halls obviously have not changed much.Twenty odd years and fire alarm still not fixed. :lol::lol::lol: Karen.

Hi Chris.I just noticed your post this morning and felt old all of a sudden. :lol::lol:

I met my OH when he was at Uni in Sheffield and he also lived in a Hall of Residence.

We celebrate our 20TH Wedding Aniversary next year...so you will have an idea of how long ago it was.

All I can say is halls obviously have not changed much.Twenty odd years and fire alarm still not fixed. :lol::lol::lol: Karen.

well it seemed like it was going that way, but ive heard on the grapevine that the alarm has been reset. I met to discuss possible options to move but ive come to the conclusion I wish to stay here, as the other aspects (social especially) are good and I dont want to lose that.

well it seemed like it was going that way, but ive heard on the grapevine that the alarm has been reset. I met to discuss possible options to move but ive come to the conclusion I wish to stay here, as the other aspects (social especially) are good and I dont want to lose that.

It is a big change if you move out of hall-especially if you are not used to cooking,shopping etc.Some of the meals that I remember now make me feel quite unwell. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Karen.

It is a big change if you move out of hall-especially if you are not used to cooking,shopping etc.Some of the meals that I remember now make me feel quite unwell. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Karen.

im alright at cooking, shopping less good at!

Guest Lya of the Nox
Chris,

Uni life obviously suits you by the looks of your new picture :whistle: !!!!!

Clare x x x

just what i was thinking

great minds think alike lol