DaisyProudfoot

School wants him statemented

:notworthy: I know it's long time no speak for those of you who remember me but I'm back here asking for advice.

As you may recall in the dim and distant past when I last frequented the boards Martin had more or less settled into his AS ways. He was coping well in primary school on just School Action and his anger management therapy was working well.

THEN in September....he went to high school. On the whole he's coping ok with the anger side of things so that's good but education-wise, it's a different story. He's been coming home almost daily with lines from various teachers and his homework is proving a nightmare. :wallbash:

Out of the blue on Monday I got a call from his head teacher saying that things were getting stupid and they should apply to get him statemented. I was somewhat taken aback as I thought schools were not very helpful when it came to statements (especially mainstream) and I told the head so. He agreed that a lot of people were against statements but he felt in Martin's case it would be beneficial.

So there you go. Questions:

1. Will he benefit?

2. Are there disadvantages to statementing?

3. How will it affect him in the long run?

4. What do I do now?

Any advice would be most appreciated thanks :thumbs:

Daisy x

Hello Daisy, dont think we've met.

I'd say, & its only my opinion, if the school wants him statemented, go for it. My lad had one early on, it meant we had clout as they HAD to abide by it, I honestly cant think of any negatives, & check my update on JP if you want to see how he's doing age 18! :thumbs:

Best of luck with it all. >:D<<'>

Hi Daisy, lovely to see you again >:D<<'>

It's amazing isn't it how primary schools give us the 'no need for statement line', then as soon as things go pear shaped at secondary it's a different story!

I'll answer your questions as they were numbered

1, Yes he would benefit from a statement as long as it's worded right and includes all his needs

2, I don't know of any disadvantages to statementing

3, How it affects him in the long run depends very much on the quality of the statement (usefulness)

4, you can either wait for the school to apply for the statement, or you could apply yourself. When I had the review meeting for Bill earlier this year the school said he needed a statement, but we agreed that I would apply to it as the LEA have to abide by a certain time scale, also it's better if you are in he driving seat IYKWIM

I've found the whole statementing process a minefield amidst a war of words. Bill's statement is worse than useless and I am now going to tribunal. However this is in no way indicative of what your own experience will be, and you could find that it's a straight forward process that results in the support your son needs without the need for further battles.

good luck with it all Daisy, and lovely to see you back.

flora (used to be Lauren !)

Edited by Flora

Hiya tatters! Lovely to see you again :)

Hope u and yours are all ok (outside of the immediate stuff detailed in your post) :D

Bit pushed for time, but very quickly:

The benefits of a statement far outweigh the disadvantages (IMO) as a statement should specify exactly what sort of support he needs in school and the expectations on who should be delivering what...It's much more precise (in theory) than a loose 'acknowledgement' that he has support needs and carries far more weight (despite what LEA's will tell you) legally if and when those support needs are not being met/are beyond the schools usual expertise and general SEN budget.

If the school is behind you (actually requesting it) they are probably already at the point where thay have done all they can from existing resources and need additional input...

The one thing I would be very wary about is (as this is a new school) the heads motives in this... I'd be seeking clarification on that to make sure they are looking for ways of meeting his support needs, and not using them to disenfranchise him in any way. If you are happy that the head does have your son's best interests in mind and no other agenda, then personally I think there are many advantages to getting the process underway...

Sorry that's not very specific, but as i say a bit pushed for time. I'm sure you'll get many more posts detailing more precisely the many advantages and possible drawbacks

L&P

BD :D

thanks for the welcome back peeps and hello Pearl. :D

I'll be honest my main concern would be that if he got a statement would the school then turn around and say that his needs were too great for them to cope with and he would be transferred to another school. He's a bright lad and could do well in this school given the opportunities. His brothers have done ok.

I think I'm going to have to have a meeting with the head and the SEN guy after the holidays to clarify this further. Perhaps I'm just being suspicious and the school do have his best interests at heart.

Head did say he's already had one AS lad excluded and didn't want this to happen to Martin.

Always the same isn't it, life's just plodding along ok and then the AS problems raise their head again :(

As if that's not bad enough I need to reapply for his DLA too cos that's just run out. Oh joy.

I'll be honest my main concern would be that if he got a statement would the school then turn around and say that his needs were too great for them to cope with and he would be transferred to another school. He's a bright lad and could do well in this school given the opportunities. His brothers have done ok.

Hi Daisy

Great to see you, how are you yourself? :)

I'd say if the head is wanting it, grasp the opportunity with both hands. You might feel a bit ambivalent about a statement now but later on in your son's school career it could make all the differentce between success and failure.

As far as your fears are concerned - "inclusion" is the mantra, and the law is on your side. In the unlikely event of a battle, - the onus would be very much on the school to prove that they couldn't meet your son's needs or make reasonable adjustments in order to do so. And if the LEA ever did issue a statement which named another school, you would always be able to appeal.

Re exclusions - there is a lot of concern at the moment about the disproportionately high number of children with SEN who are being excluded, and heads are supposed to make every effort not to do so, so a statement might provide extra protection against that situation.

Good luck with the DLA reapplication,

K x

I would also be a bit suspicious - I would be asking the Head what he thinks would be gained from your son having a Statement. Why is your son getting lines? In what way is having a Statement going to help with the issues your son has (eg: homework/lines)? Can things not be resolved without a Statement? (they take about 6 months to be sorted anyway, and the LEA won't give one unless the school is doing everything it can within its usual resources anyway).

According to the HT the school has done all it can using the normal solutions - well if they have they've kept it pretty quiet from me I can tell you! This is the first ever call I've had with regards to Martin's educational standards in the high school (he's only been there one half term) although according to the HT his name has come up in lists from teachers on a number of occasions. :huh:

If he really does need a statement then I'm all for it - anything which helps him to learn would be fantastic. If it stops the detentions too even better.

Hi.If the LEA in our area are anything to go by then a Statement will not be issued unless the school can demonstrate a very significant need for one and can show that all other possible support has been used for a significant time...without significant impact.

In short the LEA may well decide not to even assess.

Hopefully if your son needs a Statement he will get one...if he does not need one it is extremely unlikely that he will get one. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Karen.

Hi.If the LEA in our area are anything to go by then a Statement will not be issued unless the school can demonstrate a very significant need for one and can show that all other possible support has been used for a significant time...without significant impact.

In short the LEA may well decide not to even assess.

Hopefully if your son needs a Statement he will get one...if he does not need one it is extremely unlikely that he will get one. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Karen.

Personally, no, I don't think he does need a statement. School Action Plus I would say yes, he was on School Action at primary with an IEP which was sufficient for the size of school he was in. This one has a lot more pupils and a lot more staff. I'm just going to have a word with the SEN, can't believe he's never even rung me.When we met him before Martin joined the school he was very positive about the support he would give Martin - where is it now? :unsure:

Hi.The school should have an IEP in place and you should have been informed regarding the level support is being provided at ie School Action or School Action Plus.If the SENCO is unable to provide this in the information sent to the LEA in any request for a statutary assessment then the LEA will not be impressed.

I am afraid that in my experience some school staff can say lots of very positive things but I tend to believe things when I see them. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Karen.

Phoned the school today and left a message for the SEN to have a meeting. Hoping he'll call back tomorrow. I phoned at 4pm what time do teachers go home?

Meanwhile....Martin has another detention :(

I phoned at 4pm what time do teachers go home?

Well, I get to work at 8am.

I go home at 6pm on Monday

5.30pm on Tuesday

6pm on Wednesday

5.30 on Thursday

5pm on Friday

I run 2 after school clubs, one lunchtime club and I'm paid until 3.45pm.

I'm reviewing and revising my 6 IEPs tonight, after B and I have wrestled with Spanish verbs in the past tense and completed a quiz on the Reformation. I will be meeting individually with all 6 sets of parents, plus children to discuss their opinions and input before the IEPs are finalised.

Good thing I have a low-maintenance Aspie husband who enjoys having lots of time to himself.

Well, I get to work at 8am.

I go home at 6pm on Monday

5.30pm on Tuesday

6pm on Wednesday

5.30 on Thursday

5pm on Friday

I run 2 after school clubs, one lunchtime club and I'm paid until 3.45pm.

I'm reviewing and revising my 6 IEPs tonight, after B and I have wrestled with Spanish verbs in the past tense and completed a quiz on the Reformation. I will be meeting individually with all 6 sets of parents, plus children to discuss their opinions and input before the IEPs are finalised.

Good thing I have a low-maintenance Aspie husband who enjoys having lots of time to himself.

Would you like another job........sound like you could help out at a school I know. :notworthy::notworthy: Karen.

Yes Bard, but you get those lovely long holidays! :lol:

*legs it before she starts throwing stuff*

:lol::lol:

You baggage!

Yes, I must admit that I am stunned and amazed that anyone should consider any other career really...

what with the short hours, long holidays and the fantastic working conditions. Not to mention the people you meet. I'm mystified that the quitting rate is something like 1/3 in the first 5 years. Or is it half? I'm too knackered to remember.

Finished my IEPs though, 4 targets on each one, each target SMART and will be used, monitored and assessed on an informal basis weekly and then reviewed properly in February, and again in June. I will also need to demonstrate that I've not only thought of ways of helping them achieve their targets, but provide materials and resources and bodies to make sure that what I said we will accomplish actually happens.

Otherwise it's just a piece of waste paper that's pointless.

And parents can quite rightly come and ask to see what I'm doing, whether what was promised is being delivered and whether things need to change or adapt as we go.

If I don't bother with any of this, my headteacher will call me into her office 'for a chat...'

And it's not just me, it's what's expected of all the teachers in the school for all children with additional needs.

And you're still my friend you librarian you... >:D<<'>

Anyone else a Discworld fan?

Edited by Bard

oook oook ;)

Spoke to the SENCO today. He's going to speak to all of Martin's teachers today to make them aware that he has AS and he is going to get his LSA to go into Martin's lessons to see what assistance is required. He is also going to have a chat with Martin and start giving him some organisational skills training to help him manage homework deadlines, behaviour in class etc.

Apparently his next review is in January so the SENCO is going to see how this half term goes using the methods he has suggested and then we will discuss further at the review.

I explained that Martin doesn't have problems with bullying and does enjoy school. SENCO agreed that whenever he sees him he's always got a big smile on his face :D

Hi Daisy.It sounds as though the Senco has a good idea of what is going on. :thumbs::thumbs:

Perhaps the Head Teacher was having a stressful day when he/she phoned. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am pleased that things appear more manageable at school.Karen.

:thumbs: sounds like progress Daisy.

Bard, my life as a librarian consists of sitting in a dark corner covered in cobwebs. I am occasionally woken up in order to say SSSSHHHHH!!!! Thats what librarians do, innit? ;)

Glad things seem ok (for now) Daisy :clap:

I am occasionally woken up in order to say SSSSHHHHH!!!! Thats what librarians do, innit? ;)

Erm, not in my library, no :unsure:. Fancy another trip to London- you could sort my lot out and maybe even get to see Macbeth :thumbs:

I shall don my Questing Librarian outfit (complete with bullwhip) & be there forthwith.

I was joking tho' - 'tis more like Debenhams on a saturday here, too. :lol:

The modern face of libraries :rolleyes:

Sorry Daisy, going off topic here.

Oh boy - Martin is not a happy bunny :tearful: and I'm in the doghouse.

I asked him yesterday if Mr T (the SENCO) had spoken to him and his reply was:

"Yes he has, and I'm not pleased that you've been interfereing in my school work mum." (he's 11)

So when I told him that I had no choice his HT had rung up concerned about his detentions and lines he said:

"But you didn't have to talk to the head teacher just because he rang you up."

"Yes I did Martin, so anyway did Mr T tell you he was going to do etc etc etc." says I

"He's not going to do it," says Martin "His assistant is."

So there you go it would be appear I am not popular. The joys of being a parent :rolleyes:

Well, guess what.

Martin has had a week of NO detentions and NO lines and plenty of support from his SENCO. Funny how the system can sometimes work.Let's hope he keeps it up and it does explain why we had Major Meltdown earlier this week because I made him take a blue PE top instead of a green one - something to do with SENCO telling him to get organised :D