DaisyProudfoot

AS kids in cubs

As some of you may recall I'm a Cub Scout Leader and I seem to have built up a bit of reputation for handling AS kids.

Currently we have 3 AS boys in Scouts (which my DH runs) who were all in my cub pack and I have 2 AS (and one suspected AS) cubs in my current cub pack. They're all a great bunch of kids, we've taken them camping and on trips etc and I have to admit sometimes they're the best behaved of the lot. Maybe its either that having one of my own AS kids (ie Martin) the parents have more confidence in me or whether its just having one of my own I know their little ways - I'm not sure. :rolleyes:

It gets a bit huffier than the usual pack might be and we do have some interesting freak-outs at times but it makes for entertaining meetings and the parents are among the most helpful people I know :thumbs:

Beavers, Cubs and now Scouts are one of the very few team/social activities that B does. He got his dx at 9, and his Cub leader who is a SEN TA said that she really wasn't surprised.

I will always be grateful to those who have enabled him to get so much fun and learning out of the Scout movement, handled meltdowns and received him back after a suspension, or yellow card time out, with no hint of unwillingness or rejection. We get a list in advance, so we can spot unsuitable activities and not participate!

He's even managed camps with his own group, although not larger gatherings with children and leaders who aren't aware or willing to accommodate/step back.

And you are all volunteers :notworthy:

Thank you!

DS went to cubs about 2 years ago in woking, and hated it.

Bad timing on our part, as it was this week then, and it was

guy making day, very hectic and he sat in the corner all the time.

He wants togo sea cadets(i think that is how its spelt ha), when he is 12 in Jan,

so we will have to speak to person in charge, but they are all good for social skills:)

Is it true that they now take Girls, and what ages do they start from? im sure my DD (5) would enjoy something like this.

They've been taking girls for ages. I only just missed out on being allowed so was subjected to Brownies and Guides, and I'm really really old!!!! (I'm even going to have to watch for wrinkles soon - I am thinking ignorance was bliss!!)

Beavers/Rainbows start at 5 I think

Cubs/Brownies at 7?

Scouts/Guides at 11?

Superman went to beavers for a few weeks but found it all too much. He didn't like all the noise, the singing and general hubub of the villiage hall, which is very echoey. He never let me leave him there and often ended up sitting in a huddle either on my lap or under a chair. Plus he didn't "gel" with the other boys. They didn't seem to listen and SM found that uncomfortable when he just wanted to get on with things.

I've never managed it sadly, there are just no 'groups' my son wants anything to do with. My son is one those smaller percentages of Aspies who would never have anything to do with groups or anyything 'team' oriented, he only relates to individuals and only then very rarely, it's why I get fed up with social services and others going "Would you like to get him in a play group... ?", after trying 40 (!), I gave it up as a bad job... they still nag us.... when will they learn ? some of our kids are just not going to want to know... EVER.

I've never managed it sadly, there are just no 'groups' my son wants anything to do with. My son is one those smaller percentages of Aspies who would never have anything to do with groups or anyything 'team' oriented, he only relates to individuals and only then very rarely, it's why I get fed up with social services and others going "Would you like to get him in a play group... ?", after trying 40 (!), I gave it up as a bad job... they still nag us.... when will they learn ? some of our kids are just not going to want to know... EVER.

That sounds just like SM. He only gets on with dults and dosen't do groups, Hence we home educate. The only group he will do is his golf group. Which consists of him and 3 older boys, about 15 yrs and he gets on brilliantly with them, plays better golf than them too.