Sign in to follow this  
lisa

Tribunal Update

Hi,

I got a letter today from the Assistant Director of Education. I'd asked him to review Laura's case and hopefully step in to stop the tribunal. The upshot is he's not going to step in and we still have to go to tribunal. I find it laughable the provision the LEA say she gets.

Regular input from ASD Outreach Service - she's seen them once in a whole year.

Speech and Language Therapy - she hasn't seen a therapist since June last year.

It' ridiculous that all they care about is attainment. I'm so frustrated by the whole process. The school are not being supportive and it looks like our senco will be appearing as a witness for the LEA to tell the tribunal how well Laura is doing. :wallbash:

:angry::angry:

Lisa

So sorry to hear this, Lisa >:D<<'>

We struggled for the whole of my son's time in primary school with teachers who said they couldn't see anything 'wrong' with him!

So you have my heartfelt sympathy!

Don't give up...if I had been able to access support and advice from this forum then I would have achieved much more than I did :(

>:D<<'>

Bid :wacko:

I have every sympathy. I expect we will be at a tribunal too next year as in the opinion of his consultant, his CAMHS complex special needs worker, his portage worker, the Hospital schools service, his assesment unit, and the Educational Psychologist our second son Harry has major issues and would not be able to cope with full time school. His SENCO and class teacher maintain that he is 'absolutely fine' and doing well, and have threatened referall to social services if we don't send him full time.

His elder brother got assistance straight away because he is disruptive, while Harry is not. If I remember rightly, this distinction is familar to you!

Simon

:tearful: Oh Lisa! As you know, I can relate and sympathise with you.

Sadly, I don't have the solutions or any advice,.....if I did, I would share them and maybe we would both be getting somewhere!!

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> And well done for not giving up.

So sorry,...

Elefan

xx

PS,...If we went to Tribunal, I honestly believe no one would be brave enough to stand up against the LEA and their witnesses, on our behalf. Sad, but true, I think! Like you, I think we would be faced by a hoard of LEA-linked 'professionals' saying how good her work is and how little trouble she is for them!

Lisa,

I'm sorry to hear you are facing this uphill struggle, made even more difficult by an unsupportive school.

"All they care about is attainment" that's a familiar one. I got hold of our LEA's Criteria for assessing and making statements (the one parents don't get) and it's full of graphs and tables showing how far below normal levels of attainment a child has to be before they meet the criteria. They are incapable of thinking any other way.

Don't give up!

K

Simon - Yes the situation is familiar. One with a statement and one without.

When I was talking to a close friend recently and we were discussing the problems Laura was having out of school and the conforming, pretending to be normal in school. She said to me "at least it's not the other way round". She was quite shocked when I said I didn't and would rather she had tandrums and was disruptive in school and calm at home. Sometimes you get so sick of fighting. Do these people think we're trying to pretend our children are autistic? Think we just want to jump on the bandwagon for a bit of attention? When my NT daughter was diagnosed with dyscalculia and dyspraxia the senco said to me "you do like a label for your children don't you Mrs ........" To me that just sums up the schools attitude to my children's needs.

I'll keep fighting though. With the support of everyone of this forum and IPSEA's help, hopefully we'll get there in the end.

Thanks everyone. >:D<<'>

Lisa