Sign in to follow this  
sarah5

Considering transfering DS to another primary school

Daniel is 5 and has just gone into Year 1 at primary school. He has suspected Aspergers and is not progressing at all well at school. The school have been quite good but I think he needs much more 1:1 and I know they just can't offer that at his current school. His current school is generally of average standard. Ofsted report is "satisfactory" throughout.

He has an IEP but they don't really keep on top of it. He sits on the "naughty" table because they sit them according to educational standard, so is on the "bottom table" there are 3 of them and the other two constantly flash at each other under the table, mess about, shoving the table back and forth, using bad language (I am stunned at the words Daniel tells me they use , we are lucky he is mature enough to know that they are bad words), they also wet tissue paper and chuck it on the ceiling of the toilets.. seriously the things Daniel tells me about these 2 boys, I just can't believe he is shoved on the "naughty table".

I am considering moving him to another school a couple of miles away, it is reputed to be the best primary and subsequent middle school in the whole of Milton Keynes and it's Ofsted report is "outstanding" throughout. It is another mainstream school but their prospectus states that they welcome children with special needs and currently have (I believe) 7 "special needs" children of which I understand there are a few with Aspergers.

I spoke to the Headteacher at this other school today to find out if there was a possibility of transferring and she said that there is 1 space only in Year 1 and to go along and have a look round on Thursday. I am amazed that there is a space as it really is oversubscribed so we would be extremely lucky to get him in there.

My big fear is that this change could really really upset the balance, as he has reasonably happy and settled at his current school. My reason for thinking about moving him is partly because he is simply not progressing but mainly because the middle school he would automatically go to after the current school is diabolical and he will absolutely without a doubt not fit in at all.

SORRY this is SOOOO long!

I am sooooo frightened to move him, obviously he HATES change.. but I think it's the right move for the long term.

Plleeeeeease give me your opinions - would you stick to the current comfort zone (but not progressing) or would you transfer?

Thanks for ANY comments!!! xxx

I think you would need to find out exactly what is on offer in terms of help for your son at this other school and how that differs from the school he's at now. Treat it as a fact finding mission on Thursday and try to look at both options (staying or moving) with an open mind.

I think as far as change is concerned if it's change for the better then sometimes we have to make that choice. We can't protect our children from change all the time. Also, keep in mind if you do prefer the other school as more suitable for your son, he is only in year one and has plenty of time left at junior school to recover and adapt, it's not like you are moving him at the end of junior school with only a little time left before the secondary transition.

there are many times when we have to make choices for our kids which at the time might not be popular, making an informed choice for their betterment is often necessary even if it means disrupting them to some extent. However, sometimes we as parents are often drawn into quests for change hoping that this will make all the problems go away, often they don't go away and it may well be that the problems your son is facing now go with him to the next school; I guess you have to be sure that it is the way the school are managing your son that is causing the problems.

Hope you can get some answers in your visit on Thursday that will to make the choice you have an easy one.

Good luck

Flora X

Hi.I agree with Flora.I think it is worth having a good look at the school on Thursday.Be prepared with a list of questions and see what you think.It is a difficult decision but even if you decide not to move your DS you will at least know you considered it carefuly.If you don't take a look then if things don't go well and there is not a place available later you will not be happy with yourself.Karen.

i agree with the above.

use thursday as a fact finding mission and make sure you write everything down you want to ask.

ask about TA support in the classroom and what, if any, provision they could make for your son.

if you can get any info from his present school about his current levels then it would give them some idea as to where he is academically.

IMO please do go and have a look around, the fact they are already have AS is an indecation they could better meet your sons needs and may well help in the future for the next chapter of his school years, I would ensure they do not use negative punishments like the NAUGHTY TABLE errgghh what are they on we are now in year 2007!!! so ask about positive reinforcement stratagies, praise, stars ect....

I would look into an early introduction, so say part time for the first few weeks for intregration, with the first time just to meet other children and teachers and a look around the school if you feel it could help your son better than keeping him in a situation that at presant is actually not meeting his needs and the negative stratagies there using could cause emotional, self esteem and low confidence issues, which is why children with AS can get mistaken for a child with an EBD issue because they are not managing behaviour effectively.

J has been in three primary schools all because each school where not managing him properly, the presant school are very good.

I think if you keep him where he is because of the change issue then it could be that by keeping him there could be more damaging than if you choose to change the school but if you choose to change school then the outcome could be more positive in the end.

Have a look around, and take notes of any positives and negatives you witness, I think you will know after 10 mins of been in the new school if it is the right one.

The fact there is one space speaks volumes if your into fate ruling your destiny.

If you choose to keep him in his presant school then changes within needs to be done to ensure a better standard of care that meets his SENs.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Thanks everyone for your comments and help. I have started a list of things I need to ask about, you have given me lots of ideas and thoughts, thank you.

I think you are right, I will hopefully get a very good idea within the first ten minutes and I really do believe in fate I must admit!

I will update you all on Thursday after I have viewed the school.

Thanks again xxxx

I know exactly how you feel. My ds is now in year 2. When he was in reception things seemed to be going well and although his learning wasn't great I thought the school were doing the best they could and it would be a good place for him to stay. When he moved into year 1 that all changed and although I knew things weren't going well and the school weren't keeping on top of things I was so worried of all the upset it would cause my ds moving into a school where he knew no one.

To cut a long story short it became quiet evident that the school couldn't cope with him and he couldn't cope with them. We managed to get him into another local mainstream school and now 8 months later I can't believe I hesitated. He is so happy now and the school he is at is wonderful and deals with him so well!!!!

I know it doesn't always work out so well but my best advice is to talk to the head and be very honest with her about what your child is like. If they have set stratagies which they use(changed to the individuals needs) then great, if the look on their face is a bit of shock and they um and arr about how they deal with situations then you will know its not right for your child.

Good luck I hope it all works out well for both you and your child. >:D<<'>

I changed my dd's school at the end of last term and the fireworks i expected did not happen. she is much happier and although a long way to go our situation has been positive with this school.

Good luck.

Nicola

hi

i also had this problem -my son had just started last sept in year 1 at old school.

i had put it off for ages thinking that it would really mess things up..........after a big row with the headteacher things came to a head and i decided to go for it..............i got him transfered in the oct

i can say it was best thing i did.............

he settled in well...and the school was much better for him ...and in his work hes really come on leaps....

so while it may feel like a major upheaval......sometimes you need to go through it if its going be of better help in the long run for your child.

i wish i hadnt put it off for aslong as i did .

Hi everyone!

I thought I would update this thread as I have been to view the other school this morning. Wow!! The Head was completely and utterly on the ball. The school seems fantastic and the staff very positive and helpful. Lots of TA support (more than current school). They have sensory room which is for all the children, it's a "quiet room" but also is aimed at children with Autism, there is one of those silver balls, lots of gentle lights, candles and touchy feely things. Fantastic! The whole place is wonderful and I got a fantastic feeling for the school from the minute I walked in.

Downside is.. no available place at the moment.. there is a child that has had to go afar to visit a poorly relative and they might not be coming back, but until they have confirmation of whether or not they are coming back obviously they cannot offer us a space. They should know before Christmas, which is fine as I wouldn't want to move him in the middle of term anyway.

HOWEVER.. this Head has taken over another primary school just down the road and they DO have spaces available. Their Ofsted report is "Good" and they have exactly the same ethos and school principles as the other one, and obviously the same Head. She assured me both schools are of equal standard. I am going to look round on Tuesday.

I was amazed at how much this Head seemed to know about SEN, she just knew about everything, far more than me. She told me that Daniel should be getting up to 5 hours of special time (not necessarily 1:1 but perhaps tiny groups out of the classroom) as he is on School Action Plus. Daniel currently only gets about 40 minutes a week. The Head of Daniels current school has not discussed much with me at all.

When I asked his teacher after school today, she basically just said that is all they can offer him. I asked how they decide how much time each SEN pupil gets allocated and she said (quite brusquely) that it all depends on their needs then said "ok then, see you tomorrow" and walked off before I had a chance to speak :shock:.

Now the Head of this other school said that the school should now be funded to give Daniel up to 5 hours personal time.. so I am now wondering where is that funding going?!?

Am I being too harsh towards Daniel's current school?

The Head of the other school is going to let me know when they hear from the absent child's parents and has said that if they don't come back then Daniel will get first refusal.

I definitely definitely want to move him now, I think I just want to hear you guys' opinions after writing this.. sorry I know I am coming across as really needy but I really feel this is quite a big thing and I don't want to make the decision on my own. Hubby is completely behind whatever decision I make but I feel I have to make the ultimate decision.

Opinions pleeeeease!!!!

Glad the new school looked so good. The head sounds great, def on the ball where special needs are concerned.

Can't tell you what to do but think it all sounds very positive and would end up being a positive step forward for you all.

Good luck, hope the head comes back soon, telling you the space is available.

PS as for funding, my ds last school used to do the same thing - I kept getting told that funding is complicated and just because he's on SA, SAP etc doesn't mean that the funding can be used for him - always some excuse!!!!!!!

Well it sounds great (as we thought!) I think it would be a great move. (but it is your decision). I'm guessing that they will offer you a place at the other school if the child is coming back to the main school? (wondering which one that is? will pm)

A x

Well it sounds great (as we thought!) I think it would be a great move. (but it is your decision). I'm guessing that they will offer you a place at the other school if the child is coming back to the main school? (wondering which one that is? will pm)

A x

Hiya! Yes you're right they have offered a place at the "sister" school available immediately but we decided it's best to start at the beginning of term (so I guess it would be January). Things will have changed there since you were here (I think) as the Head has taken it over so the two schools should effectively run pretty much the same now (ie both should be excellent schools if reputation and Ofsted is correct). I am going to look round on Tuesday so I guess I will make a firm decision after having looked round.

If that place becomes available at the main school we would snap it up immediately, but as it stands at the moment I am thinking we will move him to the sister school in January (as long as it seems as good as the other one, which I think it will). Seriously, the Head was fantastic!

Speak soon xx

Edited by sarah5

Sarah, might be an idea to edit out names of schools ;)

But sounds positive, I still have teaching friends over there but don't know if they will know that head. Can ask for you.

A x

Sarah, might be an idea to edit out names of schools ;)

But sounds positive, I still have teaching friends over there but don't know if they will know that head. Can ask for you.

A x

Thanks hun!! ;)

Hi

Glad the new school viewing went well, a sensory room sounds fantastic. I too moved one of my children from a primary school that was probaby doing more harm than good. The move went well and I think it was me that was more stressed out about changing school than my son!

PS as for funding, my ds last school used to do the same thing - I kept getting told that funding is complicated and just because he's on SA, SAP etc doesn't mean that the funding can be used for him - always some excuse!!!!!!!

Sorry to hijack your post, but do your children get funding for SA or SAP?

Janey

Hi

Glad the new school viewing went well, a sensory room sounds fantastic. I too moved one of my children from a primary school that was probaby doing more harm than good. The move went well and I think it was me that was more stressed out about changing school than my son!

Janey

Thanks for that Janey, I think I probably am going to be far more stressed than D. I am expecting the worst but sometimes they suprise us don't they!

It is my understanding that the school (the child?) gets funding only for SAP but as you have probably guessed we are quite new to all this so I may well be wrong. Hopefully someone will be along soon to clarify. (oh, and you are not hijacking in the slightest ;) !!!) x

Edited by sarah5

Hi Sarah5 so pleased the school visit was a really positive experience, just feel for you now that there is a wait and see for the possible placement to go ahead, but pleased again that there is also another similair school that you are looking into as well.

When J was on SAP he was recieving 30 mins SEN a Week, at one time when the school had the funds he was recieving LSA but once the money ran out his LSA was gone, yence we applied for a statement, now he gets a lot more LSA and other provisions such as social skills class, Emotional and behavioural class, and other help for his Dyslexia all with the help from his statement.

I would really ensure that when he does go into the new school they can support you for a statement.

SAP I feel are only good when the school wants to do what they are suppose to, and it never covers the childs real needs.

I would use the time now to look at what rights your child has for support and you can get more help from NAS educational helpline, or go on the statement toolkit on the menu here.

JsMum

Hi everyone!

I thought I would update this thread as I have been to view the other school this morning. Wow!! The Head was completely and utterly on the ball. The school seems fantastic and the staff very positive and helpful. Lots of TA support (more than current school). They have sensory room which is for all the children, it's a "quiet room" but also is aimed at children with Autism, there is one of those silver balls, lots of gentle lights, candles and touchy feely things. Fantastic! The whole place is wonderful and I got a fantastic feeling for the school from the minute I walked in.

Downside is.. no available place at the moment.. there is a child that has had to go afar to visit a poorly relative and they might not be coming back, but until they have confirmation of whether or not they are coming back obviously they cannot offer us a space. They should know before Christmas, which is fine as I wouldn't want to move him in the middle of term anyway.

HOWEVER.. this Head has taken over another primary school just down the road and they DO have spaces available. Their Ofsted report is "Good" and they have exactly the same ethos and school principles as the other one, and obviously the same Head. She assured me both schools are of equal standard. I am going to look round on Tuesday.

I was amazed at how much this Head seemed to know about SEN, she just knew about everything, far more than me. She told me that Daniel should be getting up to 5 hours of special time (not necessarily 1:1 but perhaps tiny groups out of the classroom) as he is on School Action Plus. Daniel currently only gets about 40 minutes a week. The Head of Daniels current school has not discussed much with me at all.

When I asked his teacher after school today, she basically just said that is all they can offer him. I asked how they decide how much time each SEN pupil gets allocated and she said (quite brusquely) that it all depends on their needs then said "ok then, see you tomorrow" and walked off before I had a chance to speak :shock:.

Now the Head of this other school said that the school should now be funded to give Daniel up to 5 hours personal time.. so I am now wondering where is that funding going?!?

Am I being too harsh towards Daniel's current school?

The Head of the other school is going to let me know when they hear from the absent child's parents and has said that if they don't come back then Daniel will get first refusal.

I definitely definitely want to move him now, I think I just want to hear you guys' opinions after writing this.. sorry I know I am coming across as really needy but I really feel this is quite a big thing and I don't want to make the decision on my own. Hubby is completely behind whatever decision I make but I feel I have to make the ultimate decision.

Opinions pleeeeease!!!!

The school sounds excellent and the other one that has places would certainly be worth a look.Great news.

Regarding the funding.The LEAs delegate the funding and it is up to the HT to decide how to best use it to meet the needs of pupils without statements.Some HT have more idea thasn others.Karen. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi

Janey

Hi.I think the system for delegated funding-money provided by the LEA varies between one LEA and another.

However I think funding is now generally delegated to the school rather than the child for all intervention other than for those with Statements.

It is delegated to the school-based on a formula and not per child.

It is then up to the HT [or whoever else manages the budget or provision] to decide how best to use the money.

I was told by our LEA that there is no statutary requirement that TAs are provided to a class at all as long as the ratio of pupils per adult does not exceed a certain number.

Karen.