ScienceGeek

Clothing

I get really irritated by labels and certain materials make me feel physically sick. I try to explain this to people, but they don't really get it. I can't handle scratchy materials or slippery ones like silk. My mum used to think I was being difficult for the sake of being difficult. Know what I mean?

Hi ScienceGeek.Hi welcome to the forum.I notice you joined yesterday-so a big welcome.

I smiled when I spotted your name as it would describe my Ben so well. >:D<<'>

The dislike of the feleing of labels and textures is something I know a lot about.

I have taken lots of labels out of Ben's clothes and spend lots of time tracking down socks that are soft without scratchy seams.Karen.

Hi ScienceGeek.Hi welcome to the forum.I notice you joined yesterday-so a big welcome.

I smiled when I spotted your name as it would describe my Ben so well. >:D<<'>

The dislike of the feleing of labels and textures is something I know a lot about.

I have taken lots of labels out of Ben's clothes and spend lots of time tracking down socks that are soft without scratchy seams.Karen.

Thanks! Once I finish my foundation year I'll be moving on to study Biomedical Science, I want to work in Haematology. :thumbs:

When I find a particular kind of clothing I like to wear, I tend to buy a few of them. I thought it was quite funny when I was in school, all the other kids used to be so bothered about what the label was and there I was taking them out :lol:

When I find a particular kind of clothing I like to wear, I tend to buy a few of them. I thought it was quite funny when I was in school, all the other kids used to be so bothered about what the label was and there I was taking them out :lol:

Hi and welcome :)

I have exactly the problems you describe - I also buy several of the same, plus I often shop in charity shops because the clothes are softer and if I find I can't wear something I don't feel that I've wasted lots of money.

I also have a big issue with colour of clothes - blue clothes are the only clothes that are really comfortable to me - I've understood recently that this isn't me being completely odd (for once) and that there is a reason for it - so now I can work with rather than against it.

B has similar issues with clothes, labels, seams, synthetics and harsh textures.

In primary, he got in trouble for excessive wriggling on the carpet. I'd bought him new, larger shirts, and they tucked in too far down his legs. I had to cut off around 6" of material.

He has special dispensation at secondary, so he doesn't have to wear his jumper unless he chooses to. This is because of his 'broken thermostat' He overheats quickly if he's wearing something close fitting and so school are OK with him wearing his fleece with a school crest instead.

When he's not wearing uniform, he wears his scout trousers. they are the only sort that he likes.

At home, he changes into PJ bottoms asap.

When he was little, he identified strongly with the Princess in the story of the Princess and the Pea!

He thought that perhaps he was her long lost brother.

I used to have to remove all the labels from JP's vests etc. And for years all he would wear at home were trackie bottoms. Couldnt stand the feel of a belt round his waist which made buying school trousers a nightmare as he's so thin.

Like nearly everything to do with JP though, lots of this has lessened over the years. His big sister took him in hand a while back & made him get some trendy clothes before he started 6th form - jeans, cargo pants etc. He grumbled but accepted it, & a whole new world opened up. He can now tolerate belts too. He finds his work trousers (a wool mix) itchy, but can put up with it, but gets changed the second he gets home.

WE have this too, labels all have to be taken off but are then used as a comforter, labels in every pocket!

Certain textures are no use and and my dd also overheats, her Gran has just got on at me again about how thin her winter jacket is!

Good luck with finding some comfy clothes

Nic

WE have this too, labels all have to be taken off but are then used as a comforter, labels in every pocket!

Certain textures are no use and and my dd also overheats, her Gran has just got on at me again about how thin her winter jacket is!

Good luck with finding some comfy clothes

Nic

I tend to overheat rather easily too. But then on the opposite for some reason I used to wear jumpers all year round, as a comfort thing. People used to think I was weird, but I like rubbing the softness of the inside of the jumper on my cheeks when I get nervous.

Guest Lya of the Nox

i have to buy many clothes worn in

that means that i loose lots of my clothes

but this could be good cos it could mean i trendy :whistle:

but we do have lots of issues with all of this too

x

Hi Sciencegeek,

Welcome to the forum.

My son is exactly same re materials, labels etc, like your Mum I used to think he was just being difficult, feel awful now as I have finally realsied the discomfort he must have felt when he was a lot younger when I insisted he wear such things. Nowadays its just jogging bottoms (just as long they are not too hard or too soft) and if we are lucky a T-shirt (round neck, plain and cotton) now socks don't let me get into that one.........

No worries here we all understand exactly where your coming from.

Clare x x x

Well you both sound similar, science geek maybe the labels for comfort is something you could try,my daughter likes them because they are not so obvious.

Nicola

Well you both sound similar, science geek maybe the labels for comfort is something you could try,my daughter likes them because they are not so obvious.

Nicola

Yeah I might try that. :thumbs:

I get really irritated by labels and certain materials make me feel physically sick. I try to explain this to people, but they don't really get it. I can't handle scratchy materials or slippery ones like silk. My mum used to think I was being difficult for the sake of being difficult. Know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean! I rip out all the labels from everything I buy otherwise they drive me crazy. Like you I can't bear scratchy things like wool or slipperly cold things like silk or satin. I even spent days and days looking for a wedding dress made of fabric that I could tolerate. My AS son is exactly the same. I've never been able to wear ordinary tights because I can't bear the feel of the stuff they are made of, and when washing clothes I go through gallons of fabric softener.

flora

Don't like the feel of satin or silk either. Having huge probs at the mo, trying to tolerate a satin material type duvet cover and pillowcases.....makes me feel :sick: , and I think I'm going to give up, and give it to the charity shop.

Both our dd's have difficulty with clothes. With eldest dd, she doesn't like strappy tops, trainer socks, low waisted trousers, labels, belts, fiddley buttons, shoes with straps, slip on shoes, and she is always so hot. She now goes to bed in just her PJ bottoms.

Our youngest dd usually puts her nightie on as soon as she gets home from school. She won't tolerate her school sweatshirt, and complains she is hot all the time. She'd go out in winter in a t-shirt if allowed.

Neither girlies have any idea of fashion, what colours match, or what clothes are suitable for types of particular types of weather.

Buying clothes for our girls is something to be very afraid of in our house.

Hi Sciencegeek,

Welcome to the forum.

My son is exactly same re materials, labels etc, like your Mum I used to think he was just being difficult, feel awful now as I have finally realsied the discomfort he must have felt when he was a lot younger when I insisted he wear such things. Nowadays its just jogging bottoms (just as long they are not too hard or too soft) and if we are lucky a T-shirt (round neck, plain and cotton) now socks don't let me get into that one.........

No worries here we all understand exactly where your coming from.

Clare x x x

Ugh on the sock front. Trying to find socks that aren't elasticated at the top, they irritate the heck out of me. My calves are quite big so the socks dig into my leg and rub over the course of the day. Nice soft socks, not sports socks, or trainer socks either plain or with stripes, no other patterns.

Ugh on the sock front. Trying to find socks that aren't elasticated at the top, they irritate the heck out of me. My calves are quite big so the socks dig into my leg and rub over the course of the day. Nice soft socks, not sports socks, or trainer socks either plain or with stripes, no other patterns.

Yeap that's right, though we would not do stripes....have to be plain black, not too long or too short, not too tight or too big !

Clare x x x