pearl

OK I cracked ......

You all know how hard I've been trying to take a back seat now JP is working, against all nature. Have done my level best to let him sort stuff out by himself, aided by notes from me to remind him what to ask etc.

But he starts his NVQ next week & it all seems so disorganised. He has to go once a week to a different town that he's never been to before & has been given no info or advice on how to do this. We were led to believe that they would organise the apprentices to go together, but so far, nothing.

Then today he had a meeting with the NVQ lady. He asked about support, & was told that the training agency doesnt provide support workers - again, not what we were led to believe, & I'm pretty sure they cant just not provide support.

He is happy to have a go & see how he gets on - smaller classes & a lighter load than 6th form may mean he'll be just fine - but if he does struggle, I want him to be able to speak up & get the help he needs.

Soooo, I've just sent an email to his apprenticeship supevisor outlining my concerns.

And I feel like my old self again :thumbs:

Thanks Baggy. I dont want to be the Mother from Hell :devil: but it all seems a bit cavalier to me. I even found a fantastic transport website & have printed off his journey door to door, but dont want to muscle in if they have it in hand. Feel better knowing the route though.

You'd better still be hanging around here in 5 years or so when B is facing the world like JP.

I'm taking notes, but I'm going to need you here. I think you are a fabby mother, interfering just enough to make other people realise that JP has an angel watching over him...with a sword!

:star::star:

They don't seem to have thought things through, so it's a good job that you did.

Edited by Bard

Then today he had a meeting with the NVQ lady. He asked about support, & was told that the training agency doesnt provide support workers - again, not what we were led to believe, & I'm pretty sure they cant just not provide support.

Well, I'm an NVQ Assessor, and we are meant to support different learning needs so I don't think that sounds right :unsure:

Bid

Thanks Bard & bid.

Bard, your post brought a lump to my throat :tearful: just the encouragement I needed, its sooo hard to be certain I'm doing the right thing. And yes, I will gladly cheer you on when B enters the big wide world. There are few enough ahead of us, but I so appreciate seeing how older aspies/their families are doing.

And bid, yes, I am pretty certain they wouldnt have a leg to stand on, but I shant bring the big guns in until absolutely necessary :ninja:

Would appreciate anything you could find out :thumbs:

Well I got a prompt and lovely reply within 24 hours from apprenticeship lady.

Basically, they do encourage the apprentices to sort themselves out re transport, she knew that JP was worried, & has had a quiet word with the sensible girl apprentice who will unobtrusively "look out" for him & make sure he's OK. I dont think its ideal, but they are learning too I suppose. And once theyve survived one journey unscathed it will be easier next time.

As for NVQ support, he didnt tell me the entire story, (which is half the problem - I only get info from him unless I ask them, I'm not copied into anything). The classes are small, there are handouts which eliminates the need for him to take notes so he can just listen, plus lots of group activities so they dont get bored. Theres a support worker there but more in a "general" capacity, she's never sat & worked in class with an individual but no reason why she shouldnt if needed. JP of course is keen to blend in as much as poss so we'll play it by ear for the moment. The NVQ lady will be seeing him the following week to check he's ok.

I'll quote the last sentence:

Please do not hesitate to e mail me with any concerns or comments. I think we are all trying to get the balance between supporting jack and encouraging him to do things for himself, but you are the expert at this so we are very pleased to work with you.

OK, its still kind of left to me to make all the running, but seems clear they dont :rolleyes: when they hear from me.

Yeah, she's really nice & came to the aspie meet at college etc before he started, has really gone the extra mile.

I've just sent an equally positive reply so she knows I'm not whinging :thumbs: I'd been worried all day my first email was brusque!

More good news. My mate came round for a brew last night - I had forgotten she was an NVQ assessor! She has offered to help JP organise his portfolio etc, which is a possible area he may struggle with. You might regret that offer, I said .... :lol:

The good thing is, I word processed her son's thesis for her a while back & saved him a fortune, so I wont feel too beholden if we enlist her help :thumbs:

Looks like you did the right thing Pearl, and I'm pleased they are happy to work with you.

I still need my parents to help me with things sometimes, and 18 is only very young. My mum phoned in sick for me a few weeks ago and my dad has helped out with phone calls sometimes too. They're good at giving me advice too.

Thanks Tally, its good to hear an Aspie POV. JP seems quite happy to have me involved, he was hugely relieved when I emailed as he'd tried his level best to get info on his own without much success. I emphasised to them that he didnt mind me being involved, which I think has made a difference.

I'm really glad you have a good relationship with your parents :thumbs: