farfalla

christmas

Hi all

I was talking with hubby last night,

and we got to the topic of the christmas tree...

The subject got onto xmas morning, :D

I was wondering

Does anyone else's children or adults,

NOT get excited about the actual day? B)

DS does look forward to the day, he will have his calendar as normal and

sometimes forget to open the odd day, which pleases him to have 2 sometimes.

But the main thing is xmas morning........

He has never woke before me. :(

Ever year I wake at 7........ super excited and full of beans,

(for those who know me, I LOVE to lay in)

DS is sound asleep, so at 8 I go into him and shake him awake. :o

Once awake, he does slowly go downstairs, and then the excitement kicks in

when he sees xmas presents under the tree! :wub:

I just wanna know if this is common?

Or do I have a super mellow child.......... god knows I have

tried to excite him :wacko:

****apologises to BD for posting before the 1st........... but i am sooooooo excited already :curlers::bounce: :bounce: ****

Does anyone else's children or adults,

NOT get excited about the actual day? B)

Yes - me (AS) and my brother (ASD). In fact my brother actively dislikes it because it's a change in routine.

Cor - that makes me sound like a missery guts!!!! :rolleyes:

My sister (NT) however loves it and I can go along with it - including still putting a carrot out for the reindeer :lol::eat: (and then boring anyone who'll listen - and those who don't want to listen - about the impracticalities of flying reindeer if they eat a carrot at every house - even divided between the nine reindeer, that's a lot of carrots each and it's going to have serious consequences beyond being able to see in the dark . . .)

I have never got up early for christmas, as a child one year my brother and sisters opened my presents before i got up! (they were fed up waiting) i have never seen the point of getting up early and then being tired for the rest of the day.

Now my dd, she has never got up in the middle of the night, she gets up at a reasonable time usually between 9-10 but last year it was 8-30 and i have a feeling the older she gets the earlier she will get up.

This is the first year she knows santa is not who gives the presents, and the magic has gone a wee bit but she still wants to believe.

The excitement is more in the moment for her, and she hates the thought of surprises but when she gets them she loves it. so we solved the problem of this by letting her pick some things and i still manage to sneak in some surprises.

She has never hunted for presents, (something my nieces and nephews do).

The changes at school disturb her but she does love enough about christmas for it to be fun and exciting.

Nic

Nope Connor has to be woken, when he was little my husband and I used to clatter and bang about trying to wake him coz we were excited and wanted him to see his presents, he seems to find being giving gifts embarrassing and is very slow in opening them perfering to examine each and every item !

Clare x x x

My Jay gets very anxious with all the anticipation, he can't handle not knowing what he's going to get. So now we tell him exactly what he's got, which does kind of take the excitement out of it a bit! He never gets up early in an excited state, we just wake him at the normal time and stroll down to brekkie. He takes his time over breakfast, as usual, while he watches telly before getting round to opening his prezzies. He doesn't bother searching for prezzies beforehand or anything like that, it just wouldn't cross his mind really.

He quite often gets a bit depressed by Xmas afternoon, a kind of 'is that it' feeling and it's hard to get him back into a good mood. Last year he was very down all over the Xmas period worrying about going back to school, so not a great time for us really.

~ Mel ~

Awwww Mel, sound a bit like our house ! Wish there was something you could re going to your in laws this Christmas (as per other Christmas thread) I can certainly now see why you are so not looking forward to it and poor Jay, sounds like it could be a living nightmare for him. I think I finally got our families to realise that we appreciate their kind offers at Christmas time, but we are best left to ouselves and can attempt to have a nicest day as possible on our own, its nothing personal but all the change, excitment does Connor no good at all.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

god yes he does open them super slow, forgot bout that ha!

glad its not just me then, of DS i should say.

and mumble it doesnt make you misery.......... as I say to DS,

its all these bits that make you extra special (see i do mushy too)

What Mumble said - in our house. C does get excited though, he loves having new things as he's such a material wee person. But all the changes really unnerve him, school-life is horrendous for the entire month of December, and usually by Christmas eve he's so strung out that he partakes in a bit of self-harm, retires to bed without melatonin, and is still sleepy come Christmas morning.

By Boxing day, he's usually fine... the suspense has gone, he knows things will be returning to normal soon and he has loads of new DS, Wii and playstation games to be happy about. Last year, however, he just couldn't cope with the twins' excitement and had to move in with my parents for a couple of days respite around New Year, which was sad for me and DH, but he was happy and it meant he wasn't taking it out on the twinkles.

Awwww Mel, sound a bit like our house ! Wish there was something you could re going to your in laws this Christmas (as per other Christmas thread) I can certainly now see why you are so not looking forward to it and poor Jay, sounds like it could be a living nightmare for him. I think I finally got our families to realise that we appreciate their kind offers at Christmas time, but we are best left to ouselves and can attempt to have a nicest day as possible on our own, its nothing personal but all the change, excitment does Connor no good at all.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

Cheers Clare. >:D<<'> Xmas just feels like an ordeal sometimes, doesn't it. :unsure: I wouldn't mind so much if relatives lived nearer, we could pop round for an hour and come home when we've had enough, but because they're all down in London it means a three or four day trip and staying the night and you just can't escape from them.

Hope you enjoy yours. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Hi

My little cherub now seems to have got the gist of Christmas - he'll be 6 the week before christmas. However, he can get over-excitable, over-stimulated, etc and that's when problems start.

What I have noticed in previous years is that when he arrives downstairs for his presents, there's no "wow", although I did get a smile last year. In addition, we've have big problems with wrapped gifts. I felt like I was the only person unwrapping presents for him because he dislikes surprises.

Have to say, the older and more understanding he has, there are improvements.

Caroline.

Hi Last year e walked past his pile of presents and just turned on tv! I did not know then he was AS.

I woke him up on Christmas morning and had to show him his stocking as he had no interest at all! He liked the gifts but had no clue about it being "the day" This year he still has no idea what its all about but will look at argos book (thomas page!) and say "into my christmas can I have..." My friends son NT is just three and already driving them mad about what santa will bring. :)

Hi Farfalla,

My son is the opposite, he's up many times during the night in the early hours of Christmas morning. Last year i heard the rustle coming from the lounge....thinking it was about 6am bounded out of bed, shook my husband awake & told him to hurry up as Hayden was opening his presents & we wanted to see his face when he opened them. Went into the kitchen to make a cup of tea, glanced at the clock on the microwave.......it was 2:30 in the morning!!! :wacko: luckily he hadn't ripped open the main presents & we had to try & tempt him back into bed.....didn't last long as he was up again at 4am! :blink:

My ds#1 was always reluctant to open his pressies and would do so very slowly. If there was something there he hadn't asked for then he'd say he didn't want it and it would take days or weeks for him to look at it (we usually knew it was something he'd love but new things made him worried)

Last year at just turned 7 he was well into it and opens his gifts at an acceptable pace! He's ok with things he didn't specifically ask for too although he'll still say he doesn't like something and give it to someone else if he doesn't like the look of it!

He hasn't really asked for anything this Christmas - apart from a T3 Utility Droid off Star Wars which I don't think even exist - bless him.

His behaviour goes downhill in the run up to Christmas and for a few days after - hyper and excited and irritable, it's a lot for him to cope with.