Mumble

Ignorant Peeps :(

I'm going to shout and then I might feel better - feel free to ignore :(

I got some new, lighter glasses from Ian. They're pretty good - not as great an effect (especially depth) but they work in all light conditions and people can see that I'm actually making eye contact so in terms of social relationships, they're really good and a great improvement.

And my sister says they're OK and had no cause to laugh at me :thumbs:

Then I'm walking home from the station tonight, it's dark, I have the glasses on but I can see absolutely fine, happy about the day I've had and a more successful support meeting than previous, and this guy starts verbally abusing me, waving his hands around (I thought he was going to come and try knocking the glasses off my face) and going on about people wearing 'sun glasses' and how I obviously can't see (I can - easily) and how I'm totally stupid and he really started to scare me so I just walked off very very quickly as I wasn't far from where I live.

But why are people like this - OK, so I don't expect everyday folk to have any conception of coloured lenses, but why couldn't he just keep his opinions to himself - I wasn't causing him any problems at all. It's hard enough sometimes being 'different' without people like this adding to things :(

Oh, and what should I have done in this situation? :unsure:

Hiya, glad you had a positive day before you came across the 'muppet'. >:D<<'>

He was unfortunately just being a loud mouth idiot, and if you hadn't had your glasses on he most probably would have decided to pick on something else - just cos he felt like he could.

It's nothing you've done, just one of 'those things' unfortunately.

You did exactly the right thing by ignoring him and moving quickly on

I once had a guy dispose of his ciggarette end by purposly chucking it in my direction as he walked past....all I was doing was walking to the bus stop. Unfortunately you get idiots like this everywhere, and it really makes no difference who you are.

Hopefully this is a small consolation so you know it's not you personally....you just happened to be in an idiots eyeline.

Tomorrow someone else will prob get the pleasure of meeting him

What llisa said.

Upsetting, but everyone encounters ****s from time to time. Today just happened to be your turn. And well done for doing exactly the right thing.

There wont be as many around when you move to your croft in the Highlands, anyway :D

Don't take it personally Mumble, if it hadn't of been you, it'd be the next person he saw. Peeps like this will always be around, best to do exactly what you did, ignore them and make your way home.

this guy starts verbally abusing me, waving his hands around (I thought he was going to come and try knocking the glasses off my face) and going on about people wearing 'sun glasses' and how I obviously can't see (I can - easily) and how I'm totally stupid

The sunglasses comment gives it away for me.

He thought you were one of the supercool jet-setting types that wear sunglasses all the time. He seemed to have no idea that they were special, coloured lenses.

Another friend of mine is partially-sighted, registered blind. It's a genetic condition. We were out once at a concert and some thicko objected to her sunglasses being worn indoors.

She took them off and stared at him, her eyes look very different to the norm, he blushed and scuttled back under his rock.

Walking briskly and ignoring a mannerless, obnoxious oik was the best way for you or anyone to handle the situation you were in.

Thanks everyone :)

I'm thinking of asking Santa for a pair of those glasses with eyeballs on springs for Christmas - next peep who makes any negative comment gets my 'replacement' pair instead. That should make them runaway from the mad woman pretty quick :lol::devil:

Mumble

Sounds like this guy was a thug and a prat. If you're walking home in the dark in areas where people like that are hanging around you should carry one of those personal alarm thingys. Then you can scare the living day lights out of them if it happens again.

Unfortunately these sort of people can crop up anywhere and usually only pick on people they perceive as vulnerable (women, anyone on their own etc).

Hope it doesn't happen again. but don't let them put you off wearing your glasses.

Flora

Sounds like this guy was a thug and a prat. If you're walking home in the dark in areas where people like that are hanging around you should carry one of those personal alarm thingys. Then you can scare the living day lights out of them if it happens again.

Thanks Flora. Yes, it is a seriously dodgy area. There's a student forum I visit sometimes and there's a whole thread on there that's been going well over a year, entitled, "Live at <name of hall>, Get Murdered". We get leaflets from student services put under our door saying don't walk alone at night etc., but I don't really have much choice. I've taken to going by train, now I can cope with it well with the glasses, because it means lots of people coming off the train together so normally I wouldn't be alone - but it just happened that last night I was.

don't let them put you off wearing your glasses.

I won't. The glasses have made such a huge difference - a difference that is incomprehensible to most people - that it would take something huge to stop me wearing them.

I know it's horrible but at least you are okay-people can be such idiots at times can't they?!?!?!

I have M.E and always wear shades when I'm outside, even when it's dark I will wear them to go in a shop because of the lights.

They're not big dark ones or anything, but I often see people giving me funny looks like maybe I think I'm a rockstar or something lol, but you just have to rise above it-they don't know you so s*d them!! :)

Glad they help you so much.

Edited by chewie

Hi Mumbles, just to conform what others have said.... you get idiots everywhere no matter who you are, you did the right thing!

My daughter also wears tinted lenses and gets some mad looks when we are in a shop, I just feel sorry for them.

Anne

Thanks Flora. Yes, it is a seriously dodgy area. There's a student forum I visit sometimes and there's a whole thread on there that's been going well over a year, entitled, "Live at <name of hall>, Get Murdered". We get leaflets from student services put under our door saying don't walk alone at night etc., but I don't really have much choice. I've taken to going by train, now I can cope with it well with the glasses, because it means lots of people coming off the train together so normally I wouldn't be alone - but it just happened that last night I was.

I won't. The glasses have made such a huge difference - a difference that is incomprehensible to most people - that it would take something huge to stop me wearing them.

Mumble,

About those personal alarm things-have ever heard one of them when they're set off? am know that do have a lot of problems with sensory hypersensitivity and this could cause a problem to self more than the person who are trying to get away from.

They are extremely agonising,a.....not nice person at college a couple of years ago set one off when he was near am,and it sent am into a deep meltdown.

As for that man and his problem with the glasses,there are many people out there like him,people who just abuse a stranger because they don't like the look of them or how they are acting,one of these days they will do it to someone who is stronger than them and they will then learn what a b................ they are.

I have edited the end of this post as the content of the link contained detail unsuitable for a family orientated forum.Karen.

Edited by Karen A