Sign in to follow this  
elainem

Meeting about ASD children in mainstream

Hi,

going to the meeting tonight with M's teacher (also she is SENCO)about strategies for ASD children in mainstream. It was lovely to hear that other teachers from the school are attending too. Will let you know if I pick up anything that might be useful.

Elaine

I'll see what I can pick up. Must admit I'm more of listener so I don't think I'll be standing up there asking the question. ;) I know I'm a right chicken, just hate those kinds of in the limelight situations!!

Elaine

Hi

although the meeting was interesting it was more about teachers and teaching assistants sharing their experiences rather than lots of ideas/strategies. That said I did pick up one or two ideas that might help M. Passing them on here, some of you may already be doing these things already so sorry if some seem basic.

- talked about breaking down tasks into chunks. i.e. story writing - allowing the child to write the beginning, have a break then write the middle and another break then write the end.

- for child with handwriting difficulty using phonics cubes for spelling instead of writing

- for child who needed prompting to remember previous work, a book of work of main ideas that went with her everywhere so she could refer to it with help from TA

- transition book, for new classes or new schools. visits, and then photos and descriptions, esp of favourite areas - and then regular referral to it leading to transition date

- for child who couldn't/wouldn't discuss his day with his parents - memory problems?? - all children used to have 15 minutes at end of every Friday where they would write down the main themes of each subject and their activities - this was then a prompt to talk about school with his parents.

There were lots of teachers and TA's at this group and I thought it was great that it was so well supported. The group meet regularly so I will be going in June.

Hope this helps someone

Elaine