Sign in to follow this  
NikkiSmith

Problems with Social Services

Hi all,

Sorry I only ever get to post here when having problems and needing help and here's my request for some more! :rolleyes:

I am currently having a battle with social services about respite. I already receive one night a weeks respite for my 5yr old and I am incredibly grateful for it, but I am desparately sleep deprived as neither of the younger 2 boys sleep well (yes, we have tried most medications going and they do not work)

Out of pure desperation last week I called the social worker and told her I couldn't cope and needed her to organise respite for both the 5yr old and 3yr old so I could get some sleep - she and her colleague both came to see me to tell me they wouldn't do anything!

I asked them to put this in writing as I could not believe that even with me begging for help they wouldn't do anything, so I now have a great letter that states:

"The Children's Services Department does not Accomodate children under section 20 of the Children Act 1989 when parents or other family members are able to provide for the children of their own family."

Can they really just do nothing? What else can I do to make them understand that I really do need some help with my two autistic children??

Life is becoming a harder struggle by the day (the latest being that my 5yr old can now escape his Houdini harness on school transport and therefore they won't take him any more as he is no longer safe - so I have to!)

Nikki.

nikki i was in your position,i phoned ss loads of times in a desperate state and they couldnt give a you know what :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: i wrote to my mp and i got respite a week later!!!im not saying you will get this but its worth a try,obviously mps differ from place to place but i honestly believe i would have been in hospital if i hadent got my respite when i did,i sat on my stairs one night begging my doctor to take me to hospital,looking back im glad he didnt,but its no thanks to social services they were useless

They do seem to get away with doing nothing round here. I've just had to call them again because they are supposed to be attending T's Reviews, but I just got a load of waffle again.