debbie08

diagnosed with asd now what???

please please can anyone help me im going mad,my son (aged 6) has just been diagnosed with asd. i am sooooo glad that we now have an answer to the question "why is he doing/done that ?" if you understand what i mean ,but alll is getting well underway to sorting a key worker ,social worker ,speech therapist ,etc etc etc for him but please what about me??? can i get some advise or help on how to cope??? i feel like i am stupid but surely now we know what causes his behavour there should be a certain way i should be aiding/dealing with him. ie is there one way of dealing with their behavour for ""normal"" children and one way for ""autistic"" children. oh pls someone help me.i went to the doctors yesterday their answer was giving me antidepressants!! :crying:

Edited by debbie08

Hello Debbie - welcome to the forum - it's a weird time after diagnosis a mixture of relief upset and 'what now?'

Just take a little time to let it all sink in and don't panic. I know after my son was diagnosed I expected all sorts of help etc to be offered - it wasn't! :unsure: I was really just left to get on with it.

I did a lot of reading around the subject and I joined this forum :thumbs: which has been invaluable in many ways.

The professionals who will be involved with your son should be able to offer you advice and strategies for dealing with specific issues. There are usually support groups you can join locally if you want that. There are courses you can attend also.

But your son is still your son and you will often know best how to deal with him becasue you know him the best and a lot of the guidance will end up coming from you to others IYSWIM?

Sorry have to go now son due home any mo :rolleyes: . But you are not stupid and you will get things sorted in time, take care, keep posting.

Luv Witsend.

Debbie >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> I am sure you are not stupid but please do not expect too much of yourself.Getting a Diagnosis for your child is a very big deal and it takes time to even get over the news.There are some strategies for managing behaviour that do help in supporting children with ASD.However children with ASD are individuals too and so unfortunately there is no one way that works in all cases.

If you read around the Forum and ask questions when things crop up then people are very willing to help. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> But please don't feel you need to everything at once.Karen.

Hi debbie - firstly, congrats on getting some firm answers :thumbs:

Don't try and rush to find all the solutions - it's a lifes job and at the moment (no matter how much you were anticipating the dx) you have all sorts of stuff to get your head round without worrying about the long haul...

Let the wheels turn on their own for a while (you've got it all in the pipeline, which is great 'cos for many they are going out looking for the stuff you've mentioned now whereas you're ahead of the game :)) and when things have slowed down enough - and you've recovered from the ride - think about things like local support groups (NAS/SS should be able to give you some pointers) and maybe some 'training' with the likes of 'early bird' (the 'later' version - I can't remember what they call it right now but early bird is preschool and they do a version for kids who get dx'd a bit later) or other local initiatives.

Of course, there's bags of experience between the threads here, too, so take a leisurely stroll through the boards :)

L&P

BD :D

awwww thanks both that have replied so far! i relly appreciate your advice as he was diagnosed less than a week ago and im soooooo upset about it all, i feel so alone and i know im not so thought sharing a mo on here may help and it looks like it will be a god send!!! any advice will not go a miss. thanks :thumbs:

Welcome Debbie >:D<<'>

thanks all for making me feel welcome! wow its so nice to be able to moan lol or talk to someone who actually understands how i feel and wants to listen! >:D<<'> can anyone advise me of a good place to get some help i tried family friends with no joy. both me and hubby need to go to "meetings" or support group or simular.

Hi Debbie, I was going to suggest Earlybird course too but BD beat me to it! The older version is just called Earlybird Plus.

I read lots of ASD books and being on these forums is the most incredible support you can get.

Be kind to yourself, diagnosis is a very confusing/emotional time ;)

A x

Hi Debbie and welcome to the forum, my son was diagnosed last Jan and I joined here just one month after and I must say its been an enormous help and given me much strength. Everything is still very raw for you at the moment, its a bit like grieving and you will no doubt go through many stages of emotion, denial, why me, etc etc. You have been given some wonderful advice above and as suggested take your time, let it all sink in, browse around here, ask loads of question and you'll eventually find your way. Just remember all of our children are individual and have very different difficulties to one another, as Mum you probably already know your child very well and what is likely to work and what is not.

We are all here for you.... >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

hello debbie >:D<<'> when my steve was first dx i found going to support groups helped a lot,talking to people who understood was brilliant,im not sure if you coul google support groups in your rea and see what comes up

i find having a moan/rant/picking on baddad on the forum helps loads too,its a brilliant site,look foward to getting to know you better >:D<<'>

oh yeah dont ever feel silly asking a question on here,when i first joined i thought oh i cant ask that they will think im stupid but the people on here were fantastic and never made me feel silly

Hi Debbie,

Welcome to the forum. :) Keep talking to the wonderful folk on here - you'll find you aren't alone.

I don't know which area you're in, so here's a link to the National Autistic society search facility, which might be a good place to start. You can browse by region or by category, and find out what support is available for you locally.

http://www.info.autism.org.uk/Pages/Index....;ar=1&rs=-1

Hope this helps,

K x

Hi Debbie, welcome to the Mad House!!!Just remember you are not alone, if you have a question just post on the forum and somebody will usually be able to help you, many of us have older children with AS and will have been through what you are going through. :rolleyes::rolleyes: