Cat

'I Exist' NAS Campaign

The next phase of the NAS 'think differently about autism' adult campaign launches tomorrow in England. Wales and Scotland follow later in the month. I was contacted this am by Radio Newcastle who wanted to know if I would be willing to go to their studios in Newcastle for 7am tomorrow morning. Erm I think not seeing as I don't live in Newcastle don't drive and am often still up and about at 3am. They very kindly said that they would find someone else to do the live interview if I would be willing to do a tapped interview this pm. I agreed and so at 2pm today I found myself sitting in my kitchen talking about issues that, if I am honest, I would have preferred not to have been thinking about let alone speaking about, but which I fully agree need to be aired. The next phase of the campaign is, in my opinion, quite hard hitting and genuinely designed to make people think. 63% of adults with autism do not received the correct level of support if any. In fact the information that NAS will go public tomorrow is the reason why I did go where I do not even like to think about today, because we need to realise that unless things change our children could well be in the two thirds of adults left sitting without the correct provision or support(my eldest is already included in those statistics). Radio Newcastle wanted a piece which was hard hitting and told it like it was so although I am usually the type of person who likes to point out the positives rather than the negatives I found myself taking my rose coloured specks and telling it like it is and can be ? well for me at any rate.

I have no idea how much of what was recorded will go out tomorrow but it will go out via the Mike Par show from 8am. Radio Newcastle do have a listen again facility so if anyone would like to hear how what was recorded today will fit into the bigger picture of what is going out tomorrow here is a link. http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/local_radio/list...n_feature.shtml

If anyone is interested follow the link after 10am tomorrow and click on listen again and then listen again to Mike Par.

Not trying to plug myself here in anyway simply saying that for once we have a campaign specifically for adults living with autism and we really should be supporting anything which means that they will have a better deal than they have right now.

Cat

Edited by Cat

As one of those 2/3rds of adults - thanks and *HUGS*. This week I've an appointment with a shrink, an advocate and a solicitor; perfect timing... Hope it makes it to the High Court...

Cat :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Well Done - not an easy topic to talk about >:D<<'>

I know M is only nine - and once in the correct school environment life should get easier for both him and me, there were lots of moments this past weekend where i wondered what the h*ll i will do when he's nineteen and not nine, and two foot taller than me, rather than a foot shorter than me as he is now.

Frightening thought :( I hope it makes a difference :pray:

The main piece goes out one hour and fifty mins into the show and last for 3 mins. Hope that helps ;)

Cat

Thanks all.

Hiya Carol really good to have you back >:D<<'>

Cat

Edited by Cat