JsMum

Ed Psych issue

The Ed Psyc last saw J when he refused to enter school from a taxi in the school grounds it took over 2 hours to try and get him into school but we couldnt and we where sent home, now he has only managed a couple of mornings since and we are still struggling every day to get him into school, becoming very challenging and at times placing himself at risk to avoid going to school, the problem is the Ed psych cant assess him at school until he is back in school, the way its going with J its very unlikely that is going to change quickly and so it may take a while, what can I do to try and get an other option to get the ed psych assessing him or will I just have to wait until J eventually returns to school?

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Hi - My Ed Psch who works for the local council came out for a home visit first, and then followed up with a visit in school afterwards.

If you are able to phone/email the Psch's office I think you should be able to request a home visit as a matter of urgency. I think they should be working with you to get your son back into school.

Hope this helps >:D<<'>

Hi,

My DS was assessed by the EP only two weeks ago, as my DS refuses school and finds it far too stressful, they arranged to do it at the LEA offices. I stayed for the first bit and then agreed to leave them to it as the EP said the results are better without a parent present, wonder if this is why they usually ask for it to be done at school.

Hope you can arrange a sutiable place for the assessment to be undertaken very soon.

Clare x x x

Hi J's mum,

My daughter was assessed by the Ed psych when she was out of school. She came to our house.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

The thing is the letter states it is to observe the way J interacts with other children so it does need to happen at school, I know if I suggest it at home the ED PSych will say that she cant do it at home as she wont be able to see how he interacts with other children.

So should I ask her anyway, she said she is available to talk to tomorrow afternoon.

I will be trying to get J to school in the afternoon.

JsMum

The thing is the letter states it is to observe the way J interacts with other children so it does need to happen at school, I know if I suggest it at home the ED PSych will say that she cant do it at home as she wont be able to see how he interacts with other children.

So should I ask her anyway, she said she is available to talk to tomorrow afternoon.

I will be trying to get J to school in the afternoon.

JsMum

I am sure there is no harm in asking and you could also mention you are aware that other people have had assessments eslewhere.

Good luck

Clare x x x

It is possible to do a general assessment at home, but if the assessment is primarily to see how he interacts within the classroom with other kids then I can see why they are insisting it's done at school. It's a shame the EP wasn't more flexible about when he/she could do it, because then even if you got him into school for an hour only that would be a good basis to start with for them to observe him even if it was just to be able to report that he doesn't want to be there!

Flora X

Well after a call today to express the real difficulties around J refusal to go to school the Ed psych is looking into coming to our home for an assessment, she did comment it will be difficult to access interaction with others been there is no others but she said she can still do some other tests, so there you go, today I tried to get J to go this afternoon and it was something he had asked for as its Art and PE but even with that in place he avoided all tasks that got him to school, I tricked him into going out for a bike ride and we cycled around the area his school is in, we went for a little walk and then he began to get angry and stamping, he then stopped dead and pulled me back towards the opposite direction getting more and more distressed the closer we got to the road where school was, he only stopped pulling me back until I walked away and then he stamped on my feet.

I was hoping he would of bumped into some school friends, but we had to leave before they did, we have tonight done a visual display of school routine and what we are doing in the afternoon, he has followed this evenings routine but resisted going to bed, but he is in his room, so thats a plus.

He breaks up tomorrow and part of me is looking forward to the rest of not having to try every morning to get him to school fighting, avoiding tasks, becoming destressed and angry, this term has to be the most stressful term ever.

Can you believe that there is actually a parent out there actually looking forward to the blumin half term.

JsMum

No one can accuse you of not trying! >:D<<'> You did your best, but this is obviously a huge barrier for him. I hope the Ed Psych does visit: any input is better than none, and you'll get the chance to talk to her yourself.

I hope half term gives you both a bit of respite.

K x