Sign in to follow this  
josie h

Meeting at school tomorrow.

Well, we have a meeting at school tomorrow. C was suspended for 7 school days before half term. There was no letter from school regarding this. i wrote to school and the head called me today. he agred that they were int he wrong for not contacting me and not giving him any owrk. He went on to tell me that the SEN case worker has phoned to say she can't make the meeting tomorrow! It is still going ahead though. He then went on to say that he is all for inclusionl but that they had to look at what they can offer C at the school and decide if it the right place for him to be! I am now very concernred about the meeting and what is going to be said. Can anyone advise me on what i should do if they decide that he can't go back to school there. I am really out of my comfort zone here and really dont know where i will go from there. Anyone got any advise? I have decided that if they don't want him there, they can be the ones to tell him and not me! I am tired of being 'the big bad wolf!' :wallbash::wallbash:

Good luck with the meeting, josie, hope it goes okay. Are there any schools in your area that you think might suit your son better? What would you like to happen? Hope the school come up with some answers that might help or else some useful alternatives. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Hi josie read through and copy the parts of the link that are relevan to you about unlawful exclusion.

the ipsea link is good to show you what school should have done,

How much notice were you given about the meeting, they should have given you the chance of having someone like parent partnership, asd advisiry service attend as well to offer support and expertise.

Do you have some0ne who could come with you to listen and take notes.

Thanks for the advice pumplin pie. well we had the meeting. The LEA decided they couldn't come after all. Another meeting is to be arranged so they can attend. Basically, C is in school. but only going to the lesons he has TA support in. this is only going to give him 10 hours a week of school lessons. he only gets support in science, music, art, drama and PE, so i don't think this is going to help his education. I have contacted the parent parntership and she is now involved and following up info regarding the meeting. The school have basically said that they can only continue as they are on the short term, and will need full time support for C if they are to keep him in the school. if this does not happen, they will be requesting change of provision. i have written to his case officers line manager stating my concerns and asking them what they intend to do. I believe that if C did not have a statement, he would have been permanently excluded from school. Not too sure where this is going to go, but am sure there will be many more tears shed beore this is over. at the end of the day, like the rest of you, all i want for my child is to get a good education, to stay in school and to be happy. At the moment we a struggling with all of these. i still somehow need to find the time to support his sister who is going through a tough time. she is in year 10 and finding the pressures of exams difficult. she does not have sen, but unlike C finds Maths and Science hard to grasp. Last week she wanted my help with something and i was so wrapped up in C's problems i told her to go away. Boy did i feel bad aferwards! she did give me a cuddle and seems to understand. Oh well. got to keep it together for the kids! :crying:

Personally I would be writing to the school governors and the lea. effectively they are discriminating against your child by not providing the resourses he needs. the school has its own sen budget which it should be using. if its not getting enough cash from they lea they should be writing to them requesting more cash - schools dont like to do this cos its time consuming!

Has anyone mentioned bringing forward his annual review so these matters can be discussed? its just a thought.

If it was me I would be speaking to ipsea and getting legal advice and writing strong letters to those concerened.

It isnt fair to effectively exclude him from fulltime education because they havent got the resourses in place to help him

Forgot to mention that partent partnership are not always very impartial so be careful what you tell her as she maybe a bit buddy buddy with the lea