fiorelli

Tics...

At L's CAMHS appointment at the ADHD clinic (don't ask!), the psychiatrist asked if L has any tics. I automatically said no.

When my husband came home later that day, I was telling him about the appointment and the tics question. And he automatically said 'yes he has', and reminded me that Louis flicks his hands by his face, and when he is sat having his meals, he taps/shakes his leg (as if timing really fast music iykwim) He also does this when brushing his teeth.

I also mentioned it to his resi. keyworker, and she said that yes, they have noticed him doing things that may be classed as tics. He does this thing with his tongue where he is half licking his lips. She also said that at meal-times, they have also noticed that his does this 'clicking' in his mouth, but don't know how he does it. I heard this for the first time yesterday, and it sounds like it's coming from the back of the tongue/throat, and is really quite quiet, but noticeable. She also said that while watching tv of an evening, he will be sat there watching, and then all of a sudden stand up then shake out his shoulders/arms. She said that she had thought 'that's strange' but nothing else. (he has done this at home too).

Writing that down seems like quite a lot really!

Now my problem? Is this 'normal' AS/ADHD behaviour, or is it tics? Does anyone else's child do anything like this?

Should I contact CAMHS and let them know, or should I leave it until his appointment in August?

My son had tics, vocal and facial. Thats why CAHMS wanted him to have the label of tourettes too along side all the other diagnosis he has :unsure:

T often shouts, then says "sorry", also swears then apologises, he winks and grimaces with his mouth, and sniffs and does this weird breathing thing, and also hits the monitor a few times when he is on the PC.

The thing is is it Tourettes or is it part of ADHD or the ASD?

I have this arguement over his tics myself, because I don't think he has tourettes, I think it's impulses of his ADHD and ASD.

My son has a dx of Aspergers and Tourettes.

Generally - Stims are something he can control and are used as a way to calm him or even if he's just relaxing. Ie; hand flapping in front of his face or ears, spinning, smacking his lips together, taping out patterns with his fingers, etc.

Tics he cannot control. He has vocal and motor tics and no amount of anything can stop them! He can hold them in for around half and hour - then he will vanish off to his room (or someones bathroom if we are out) and 'releases' them.

It's really a case of watching him and seeing what he does and doesn't have control over. His tics at the moment are quite violent - he is nodding / shaking his head, shrugging shoulders, clearing his throat and grimacing. Probably anything over and above once/twice every five seconds or so - it's very tiring for him :-(. Vocally - so far it's just been 'shoot' shouted out at the wrong moment or half way through a sentence - but again, it's obvious that he didn't intend for it to come out and is usually very shy about it.

Edit to say - have you asked L? Only recently M has been able to describe the feeling to me. He says a tic feeling is like a little burning / tickling sensation which makes him feel he must move, or 'do' the tic, to stop the strange feeling, the longer he leaves it - the worse it gets.

Edited by smiley

my son also has tics he will sniff continuously and also screw his face up and make a 'silly' face IYSWIM. He will also run his fingers/knuckles together so hard that they make a horrible 'rubbing' sound. I was told that the tics could be a side effect of his ADHD medication but I just don't know :unsure:

Edited by kellyanne

Hi

I totally agree with what Smiley says. OJ was diagnosed with Tourettes, Aspergers and OCD and they are definitely all inter related. his vocal and motor tics are uncontrollable and then there are the urges to do something, like touching someones hair, which could be Tourettes but more likely OCD but having said that all of these things can also be wrapped into the Aspergers dx - it is a very complicated area and we have accepted that all the dx's are part of the Spectrum and part of OJ - that's who he is!!

Sorry, a bit muddled I know!!

Stella xx

Thanks for replying all.

The thing is, I don't know whether these things are classed as 'tics' :unsure: , and some have become so much of an everyday occurance for him/us that I just don't think about them anymore.

Things like Louis's tapping of his leg/suddenly standing/jumping he has been doing for as long as I can remember. However, he can go for periods of a time - from days, to weeks, - without doing it, then all of a sudden he starts again. We have mentioned these before when he was first diagnosed, but nothing was ever said about what they were.

Louis's clicking with his mouth is something totally new that was only brought to my attention last week. He did it while calm and in the middle of a calm conversation where we had both gone quiet (as you do while thinking of something else to talk about/mulling something over) for the first time with me a few days ago.

If you ask Louis to stop doing it, he will often say 'I can't', but on the other hand, he will also do it just to annoy us! (There is a difference though, as it isn't quite 'right' when he is deliberately doing it, you know, sort of in the way you can tell the difference between 'naughty' behaviour and ASD/ADHD behaviour)

Hi fiorelli.If you are in any boubt then it may well be worth contacting Camhs.Perhaps drop a note to say that you have talked with other people and say what the people have noticed.The psychiatrist can then decide whether what is described is tics or not.Karen.

Hi

My youngest son is being assessed for ASD's (looking likely reading reports done so far) and I just wanted to get your opinion on whether these could be "tics" or something else?

A few months ago he would sometimes roll his eyes back in his head (not all the time or on a regular basis but it happened a few times over a few weeks. Also around same time he would sometimes shake his upper body, holding his hands near his chest and in fists. It would last a couple of seconds and not sure if the eye/ shake thing has happened same time. He did not appear to lose conciousness or anything, once it happened while his dad was carrying him into a shop and I am not aware of any common thing happening at that time.

Now the other day my hubby pointed out that he would sometimes just stand up and shiver (like when you get the chills for no apparent reason), again only brief. We noticed quite a few times yesterday and I have seen it once today...

He does hand flap and clench/ unclench his hands a lot, or rub them/ wring them together. That is one of the unusual things I commented on when I asked HV for advice....

Thanks!

Edited by westie

A few months ago he would sometimes roll his eyes back in his head (not all the time or on a regular basis but it happened a few times over a few weeks. Also around same time he would sometimes shake his upper body, holding his hands near his chest and in fists. It would last a couple of seconds and not sure if the eye/ shake thing has happened same time. He did not appear to lose conciousness or anything, once it happened while his dad was carrying him into a shop and I am not aware of any common thing happening at that time.

Now the other day my hubby pointed out that he would sometimes just stand up and shiver (like when you get the chills for no apparent reason), again only brief. We noticed quite a few times yesterday and I have seen it once today...

Hi westie,

I'm not a profesional but I work with children with epilepsy and from what you have described it sounds like your son could've had a small seizure. Like I said I am not a professional but IMO I would get it checked out HTH :)

Kellyanne x x x