Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

Velcro for school trousers.

My DS has trouble doing up his trousers after going to the toilet. We were looking about replacing the hook with velcro, all the velcro we have seen aren't really any good.

Does anybody else use velcro for their childrens school trousers instead of buttons and hooks? If so where did you get it from?

I don't know about for trousers, but you can get extra strong Velcro from DIY stores (especially the big orange one that employs older staff!). I use this to hold up all sorts of stuff and it seems very strong. It comes sticky back, although I would recommend sewing it in because it probably wouldn't wash very well. You'd probably want to put several squares together to make a long strip. Otherwise, what about a large press-stud? :unsure: Or elasticated waists?

Cariad,

Any material/haberdashery shop will sell velcro.

My dd found it very itchy but you may have more luck.

We eventually just hunted for the trousers/ skirts with elastic on the back and with the adjustable waists.

we would tighten enough that they would stay up but still be pulled up/down for going to the toilet.

Nic

P is still pretty small for his age so its not hard to find elasticated school trousers for him. I'm dreading the time when I cant get them in his size any more. Would the school accept jogging bottoms???

P is still pretty small for his age so its not hard to find elasticated school trousers for him. I'm dreading the time when I cant get them in his size any more. Would the school accept jogging bottoms???

He goes to a school where you have to wear the uniform or you stick out like a sore thumb,he goes mad if he's not like the others. TBH he is one of the least able kids in the school and the only one who can't do his trousers up properly. He usedto wear joggers in his primary school so that was ok.

Cariad,

Any material/haberdashery shop will sell velcro.

My dd found it very itchy but you may have more luck.

We eventually just hunted for the trousers/ skirts with elastic on the back and with the adjustable waists.

we would tighten enough that they would stay up but still be pulled up/down for going to the toilet.

Nic

Thanks Nic , I hope I find some of the non itching variety!

I hope I find some of the non itching variety!

If you make sure that the softer half (one half is spiky, one is softer) is the one that faces the skin, then it's less likely to be a problem if it actually touches the skin. Also it sometimes comes with an 'edge' which is harder, but this can be trimmed off with a sharp pair of scissors and makes things less itchy.

Hi all, I may have the answer to this problem in the form of: http://www.fledglings.org.uk/

This company makes all kinds of things for SN, including pull-up school trousers (up to age 15yrs) with an elasticated waist.

This second link shows you a picture of the trousers (on a child who is sitting down): http://www.fledglings.org.uk/newsletters/issue-08/

If you want to see a picture of the trousers on a child who is standing up, then you need to request a copy of the Fledglings brochure.

Hope this helps and good luck

:D

Hi all, I may have the answer to this problem in the form of: http://www.fledglings.org.uk/

This company makes all kinds of things for SN, including pull-up school trousers (up to age 15yrs) with an elasticated waist.

This second link shows you a picture of the trousers (on a child who is sitting down): http://www.fledglings.org.uk/newsletters/issue-08/

If you want to see a picture of the trousers on a child who is standing up, then you need to request a copy of the Fledglings brochure.

Hope this helps and good luck

:D

I LOVE YOU >:D<<'>

Thanks so much for this we have to get elasticated ones for DS2 or else his fall down due to his brace(and his superskinnyness!) Its a devil finding them above 11 years here

Re velcro if he has sensory probs with clothing he may get the hump with how this feels when its sewn on as it tends to be quite thick.Have you tried the adjustable waist ones with the elastic bits that have buttons on? M its really neurotic about clothing but he wears these *thankfully*!!

BHS do them up to 12 years if you can track them down and M&S allegedly go up to 13 years but finding them is another story :rolleyes:

I was wondering about velcro, for trousers and shirts too, for when ds goes to secondary school. The school have offered to have someone to help him get dressed after games lessons, but I thought that might just get him picked on, so I was going to doctor his trousers and shirt with velcro, not sure what I'm going to do with his school tie though.

Hi

My DD also has great trouble with buttons, zips etc on trousers so all her trousers are pull-up ones with elasticated waists. Her school trousers I get at either ASDA or from Ladybird - not sure if they sell boys trousers that do not have any fastenings but they might do.

Were do I get the clip on ties from, the school he will be going to has different house ties, so I cant buy one until his house is allocated, or can they make his house tie I buy from the school into a clip on one. (if that makes sense)

Wow!

This thread is a blast from the past for me, and B.

Yes, we used good, strong velcro bought from the local haberdashery, I bought it as a strip that could be sewn onto any material surface.

Ties.

Tie the said object around the child's neck, with the knot just right, then cut through the tie at the back of the neck.

Sew the knot in place, like a fake bow tie, then sew velcro to the two ends at the back. That way, child puts the tie on and can join the two sections by touch.

It worked well for B from Y1 to Y5 when he learnt to do his own tie, followed the next week by shoelaces.

If someone tries to strangle the child with the tie, it comes off as well, giving your child the chance to get in a quick thump...oh, perhaps that was just B.

If someone tries to strangle the child with the tie, it comes off as well, giving your child the chance to get in a quick thump...oh, perhaps that was just B.

:lol: :lol: I wish I'd had such a resourceful Mum! I was throttled with my tie on many occasions and that sounds like a great escape - I'm surprised the Health & Safety people haven't demanded it on all ties, a bit like cats' collars having an elasticated section :)

Or work ties have to be a clip-on so it will fall off if it gets stuck in any machinery. The thing is that they fall off all the time. Luckily though, I don't have to wear it. Managers have to wear proper ties, because they don't do any real work.

When I was at school, a lot of children had their ties on elastic, so they could put them straight over their heads. A lot of them didn't undo them properly at PE, just loosened them enough to take it off, and then tightened it after. Guess they must have got their parents to do them in the mornings. Lots of kids struggle with ties.

Elasticated trousers only go upto age 12 in bhs after that you end up checking out the mail order catalogue sites aimed at older men ie over 60's sorry! I have tried everywhere for my son who is a little on the plump side.You can get mens trousers with a bit of elastic at the back but they always have a zip and that blooming button that has to be replaced with the beloved velco-that stuff is so hard to get a needle through.Then of course they have to taken up 6 inches.If there is no elastic they hurt the tummy so get pulled down to hip level and then wear out from the hem upwards. He has a new pair every 6 weeks so I get them in asda @�6 a time.

Shirt buttons are managed now but the tie I live in fear of him getting strangled.At high school elasticated ties will get pinged and as my husband will verify the clip on type can also cause a nasty injury if someone grabs you round the neck.Used to be on door duty at Gouvernment building.

Velcro do-up shoes are more available now and socks with coloured heels and toe help find out exactly where they go on your foot!

Then even if they have got permission to wear soething not quite school uniform ie track suit bottoms he lives in fear of the teachers who dont know he's allowed and have a go at him.

No wonder they cant cope at school if even their clothes are driving them crazy.

Then even if they have got permission to wear soething not quite school uniform ie track suit bottoms he lives in fear of the teachers who dont know he's allowed and have a go at him.

He needs a little, laminated card to carry with him saying ' X has permission to wear track suit bottoms' signed by the head. Then if challenged, he doesn't need to explain, just shows the card.

B has a time out card that he uses in the same way when lessons become fraught, and it's caught one or two supply teachers on the hop.