oxgirl

Aspie youth club.

Last evening we took Jay to an Aspie youth club. Have thought about it for a long time, but never felt the time was right, but thought we'd give it a try. It's a group for 13-16 year olds and it seemed really good. :thumbs:

It's for two hours and at the beginning of the group they sit them all down and do something together for a while and then let them just chill and mingle for the last hour. All the lads seemed really relaxed and were sitting around in groups chatting when we got there and it was a nice atmosphere.

Jay enjoyed it. Don't think he actually talked to anyone, but it's gonna take him some time. He joined in the bingo game at the beginning and won a box of Smarties and he was happy when we picked him up. We're gonna do it again, definitely. Once a month they go and do sport at a centre nearby and they go on cinema trips and stuff as well.

It was nice for me and DH as well, 'cos it wasn't worth us going home, as it's half hour drive away, so we just walked to the local pub and chilled out for a bit. Next week we'll have a nice meal there and pick him up later.

We're very pleased and just hope, in time, Jay can connect with some of the kids there and maybe make a friend or two. Some of the friendships looked very well established, I just hope he's not on the outside looking in and that he can get stuck in with one or two of them.

~ Mel ~

Thats great news, Mel.

It's fantastic that he gave it a try-thats incredibly brave when you consider how daunting a thing like 'mingling' is to aspies- well, many of them anyway, don't want to stereotype here! Hopefully the group workers will give him the support he needs to join in- I'm just chuffed for you all that it was such a positive experience!

Long may it continue- enjoy your pub meal when it comes!!

Esther x

Brilliant, mel. JP went to one for a coupla years & loved it. Eventually they opened it up to other disabilities, & I thought it was less successful then.

Mel

Sounds like this could turn out to be a great thing for Jay.

I wonder if it's the same one that Bill tried a couple of years ago! He was referred there by our county's autism progect.

we were really excited about it. I took Bill along there and went to pick him towards the end of the session to find him sitting in a corner with his coat over his head. Apparently he was like that for most of the session (I had my mobile with me and they had my number but apparently one digit had been written down wrong). Perhaps the membership is different now, but when we went a very high percentage of the kids had behavioural difficulties and/or ADHD and were yelling and shouting lots. It was a great opportunity for these kids to let off some steam but sadly it meant that Bill couldn't tollerate it which was a shame really.

Hope it turns out to be lots of fun for Jay.

Flora XX

Thanks guys. >:D<<'>

Jay's terrible at small talk and can't chat to other kids at all, he always hangs back in the background, so it's gonna take a lot of time before he even says anything that's more than a one-word answer, but at least he's there enjoying the atmosphere for the moment. :thumbs: He felt comfortable that the other kids were 'like me', as he said.

Flora, it doesn't sound like this group at all, nope. This one is in a village beginning with 'W'. The atmosphere was very relaxed and chilled, the lads seemed quite mature and were sitting chatting nicely, some were playing table tennis, there was a pool table and a video machine. We were only there for a few mins with Jay, but it was a very calm atmosphere, no shouting or running about wildly, very well organized. Maybe, if there are places, you could give it another try?

Can't wait for our pub meal next week, I felt like an actual 'real' person sitting in the pub. :P

~ Mel ~