I've always had a problem with cuttlery, but my skills seemed to have regressed in the last 6 months. I'm finding it ok to use cuttlery unless I have to cut anything. I've been finding it next to impossible to cut anything without sending half my food flying off the plate. I can't grip the cuttlery properly and it looks terribly awkward. I know during times where I've suffered a lot of meltdowns and sensory overload it gets worse, but this time it has been going on for a prolonged period of time.

Any tactics or ideas? Perhaps different cuttlery? Anyone else have these difficulties?

SG,

my dd has problems with cutting her food up you can get cutlery that is shaped to help cut your food.

My dd has hyper mobility so that is why she struggles, could this be a possiblity?

nic

My DS has the same problem and in school he has to be reminded to use his knife and fork or he'll happily eat with his hands!

He does find it hard to grip and can't cut things, I'll be watching this post for pointers, I'm glad this has been brought up.

My DS has the same problem and in school he has to be reminded to use his knife and fork or he'll happily eat with his hands!

My son was punished for this at school...he was being rude and had bad table manners! :angry:

I had told them he needed reminding but no it was all bad manners!

Hi Science Geek.I was wondering whether you are having difficulties with any other fine motor skills ??? If you are and you have noticed a marked regression then it may be worth making an appointment with your GP just to see whether they have any ideas as to why there has been a marked change.Karen.

Hi Science Geek.I was wondering whether you are having difficulties with any other fine motor skills ??? If you are and you have noticed a marked regression then it may be worth making an appointment with your GP just to see whether they have any ideas as to why there has been a marked change.Karen.

I've had plenty of difficulties with a range of fine motor skills along with mobility issues, my right knee has got worse, I've had the worst time with my IBS the last time it was this bad was during Secondary transfer. All slotting in perfectly with when I started uni.

Edited by ScienceGeek

My son was punished for this at school...he was being rude and had bad table manners! :angry:

I had told them he needed reminding but no it was all bad manners!

That's very unfair of them justamum, my son is just reminded to hammer home you don't eat with your hands. It's not bad manners he just has difficulties like a lot of ASD children etc

might help if you change the way you hold knife slightly so it cant move around.

I cant cut properly most of the time as i hold it like a pen so it goes everywhere and steak can be funny.

I find holding knife like your supposed to totally unnatural but a slight variation can be rigid and easier to control.