purplegail

Light at the End of the Tunnel

Hi All

Sometimes I feel as though I've been permenantly emotionally and physically exausted for the past few years. Since my daughter was diagnosed, aged 11, I have fought , cried and felt like totally giving up due to my inability to cope with or help her with her problems and the despair at been turned away by every service that I was told SHOULD help me.

This site has brought me lots of comfort. Just knowing other people really understand and take the time to offer advice has been invaluable at times. In the early hours of the morning it has provided an ear to listen to me crying!!

I haven't posted for a while because my dd discovered this site and worked out who I was!! but I hope she reads this.......

I have always been proud of her and always will be. I love her with all my heart. We have had some tough times with lots of pain on both sides. Much of my frustration and anger has been due to feeling helpless and unable to ease her problems and not because I didn't want her in my life. Sometimes it's hard to get the correct message across during difficult times.

She has not been in Mainstream school for 3 years now and receives only a very basic education - hard won!!!! She has just been offered a place to study Animal Management at College - a course which is equivalent to 3 A levels.!!!!!

This is her chance to slot back in to a regular education and develop friendships and interests outside her immediate family. She can't wait and neither can I - she deserves this so much.

I honestly believe that this has come about through perseverence by both of us, WITHOUT THE HELP OF ALL THOSE SERVICES THAT SUPPOSEDLY EXIST FOR FAMILIES LIKE MINE!!

ASD plus puberty has been exhausting and I'm sure we've got further 'mountains' to tackle. But to anyone out there with a teenager, it gets better.

I love my daughter with all my heart and this week I couldn't be prouder.

Feel alll emotional now lol

Gail

ASD plus puberty has been exhausting and I'm sure we've got further 'mountains' to tackle. But to anyone out there with a teenager, it gets better.

Hi Gail,

I agree absolutely, it does get better, and much of what you say I could also have written. It's wonderful to read a post like this, showing that it is possible to come through the tough times.

Well done to you both, and I wish your daughter every success in her course. :)

K x

Guest Lya of the Nox

oh gail that is soo good to hear >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>

my dd is in and out of school and i need something just like that for her

and as for her finding you here, i just let my dd see, in fact she registered, it helps her to be able to post somewhere where understanding is involved and i think it sometimes helps to see the struggles we have, but also how proud we are of them

x

gail i would be emotional too if it was my steven :thumbs:

brilliant news,it does me good o hear theres light at end of tunnel >:D<<'>

Gail ~ what a lovely post, I felt all emotional reading it, you obviously love your daughter very much and sound so proud, that's fantastic news about the course and a fantastic opportunity for new beginning for her.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

Hey Gail- a big well done to your daughter, I hope she realises how brilliantly she's done to get a place as these courses are extremely popular!

:thumbs:

Brilliant news, and I'm awfy happy for you both.

Esther x

Well done both of you..................does your daughter post here...would love to say hi and well done...hope your new course goes well....best wishes suzex