Hello everyone

Just wondering if your a parent of a child with autism how much sleep they have? ds does not sleep very well at all, he goes asleep about 9 after bedtime routine...bath/story etc but at 12 hes up again until at least 3 then sleeps til 6 then hes ready for the day, is this quite a common trait of autism?

Also to anyone who has ASD and sleep probs why do you think this is? is there too much noise or don't you need as much sleep?

just want to find out if i can do anything to help him sleep better? :D

I barely slept at a child and if so only a few hours at a time, perhaps 2-3hrs? At the most I would get 4-5hrs in a night on a good night, most likely 2-4 on the others. It didn't seem to do me any harm. :thumbs:

Sleep issues do tend to be quite common with ASD, When younger, my son used to go to bed a 11pm, wake up at 2am go back to sleep at 4am and wake again at 6am. He also got out of sleeping during the day at a very young age.

Things are not quite so bad now - has his sleep patterns go through phases. A good phase is when he goes to bed a 8pm and wakes at 6am (bliss :dance: ), but then during a bad phase he could be up all night and then bouncing off the walls the day after (pure hell :wallbash: ).

Need to try and catch up on sleep when possible.

Logan survived on 4 hours in 24 from when he was about 18 months till he was 4. Since he started school he will sleep 7 hours in 24 now. As a rule if he goes to bed at 8pm, he'll be up at 3am. If he goes to bed at midnight he'll sleep till 6-7. There are still times though, like last weekend where he went to bed at 9.30pm and then got up at 1am and that was him till 8am, napped for two hours and then was up till 11pm again.

We however are shattered LOL

Lynne x

Sorry, can't help here. B goes to bed before 10pm and sleeps until 7am very, very soundly!

He always has a hot bath with bubbles, his bed is less like a bed and more like a nest with extra snuggly cushions and things in heaps. He has blackout curtains and his room is at the back and quiet.

My youngest who is 5yrs has never slept for more than 4 hrs a night since the day he was born, he has been under the sleep clinic for years, tried everything bar medication. (pead doesn't think it would be beneficial, although suggested it for other son)

It takes him ages to fall asleep then when he does is for only 2-3 hrs then up and down till morning.

Have come to the conclusion he really just doesn't need alot of sleep. He doesn't seem affected by lack of sleep. (I do mind you :wacko: )

Whereas my 6yr old who loves and needs his sleep will go to bed brilliantly as long as his routine is spot on, but suffers with night terrors, pains in his legs and as of late (since his teacher tried to explain that he could get up when it was dark outside, during certain times..eg time of year and weather) he now gets up any time after 4am. (working on this at present so any ideas much appreciated??)

Our Pead told me that it is very common in children on the spectrum.

Thanks everyone thats been a great help, he doesn't seem tired at all through the day...he hardly even sits down :o

im tired but hey such is being a parent lol

I was worried maybe it might not be enough sleep but it seems it is so thats cool :)

Thanks again x

hi all,

i think Sugarplum and Storm need a weighted blanket !

they have made such a big difference to my son -aspergers and dyspraxia/age 7

he used to tossNturn all nigh, constantly waking , and he would wrap him self up so tight in his quilt i had to check all the time that her wasnt overheating!

since using his weighted blanket he sleeps longer, quietly, and its a much more restfull sleep.

the weighted pressure therapy helps calm the childs body by relaxing muscles and slowing movement, and whilst thats happening the childs mind is also able tp relax as its not thinking 'what to move next?'

so in turn the childs mind calms too, helping them get off to sleep and remain asleep, and they get a far beeter nights sleep too.

mel xx

hi there,

no, i wasnt saying your son was 'stressed' , dont know where you got that from ?

im just saying the sleep they get by using a weighted blanket is 'good, deep , resting - sleep'

which is important for our littles ones as they seem to have so much energy !

hope thats cleared that up, mel xx

Hello everyone

Just wondering if your a parent of a child with autism how much sleep they have? ds does not sleep very well at all, he goes asleep about 9 after bedtime routine...bath/story etc but at 12 hes up again until at least 3 then sleeps til 6 then hes ready for the day, is this quite a common trait of autism?

Also to anyone who has ASD and sleep probs why do you think this is? is there too much noise or don't you need as much sleep?

just want to find out if i can do anything to help him sleep better? :D

We have a psychologist working with us once a week with T's lack of sleep. He doesn't need much sleep and will call out until the early hours over anything!

We have this routine so far:

Sit on the loo for that important *poo* (he has problems with going to the loo and can soil himself)

Have a deep bubbly bath and relax as long as possible.

Pop four melatonin tablets with some warm milk to swallow them with.

Bedtime story

Fluffy dressing gown on, darlek hot water bottle filled up and bed all made up to get into.

Radio on quietly to block out outside noise (TV downstairs, kettle any noise)

No clutter around the room

Just a small green light on and the landing light on.

When he calls out make it brief *then pray he goes to sleep :thumbs: *

If you need anymore pointers PM me anytime as we are trying to perfect the perfect bedtime routine to get him to sleep >:D<<'>

ryansmum - Sorry I just jumped to conclusions with the 'stress' thing I just thought thats what weighted blankets where used for, it sounds like a very good idea. After the easter break I'll be asking our multi sensory centre if we can borrow one and see how it goes ;)

cariad - thanks for that, we do have a routine but it does go a bit out of the windows every now and again(eg he has a nap in the day - then he doesnt go asleep!) Is there any reason why the light is green, is it more calming? :)

caz2007 - yes we did, we've been a few times and he has offered medication but im not sure if i want that for him :wacko: as i dont know if he actually NEEDS the extra sleep? or if its just me who needs it :lol:

cariad - thanks for that, we do have a routine but it does go a bit out of the windows every now and again(eg he has a nap in the day - then he doesnt go asleep!) Is there any reason why the light is green, is it more calming?

Well we redid his room recently in a bid to get him to sleep better, he loves the colour green. So we had a pale green painted on the walls and a green glowing lamp from Ikea, it tends to relax him. We also have a blackout blind too..

All we need now is the flooring done and it'll all be done!